Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Being Nice Can Save You Money!

Faith
    slave & child of Christ
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    I stopped in at a meeting of our local Chamber of Commerce (I'm a member, but rarely attend), and asked if I could ask a question. (two questions, actually, since the first one was about asking the second one)

They were spending big bucks on a "Shop Local" campaign, cause we're only 30 miles from a couple other towns where people can, and do tend to, shop.

I asked, "Why are we having to spend money on a campaign to get people to shop locally when the reason that so many of us do not shop locally is because the local businesses often don't seem to give a flyin' flip that we're shopping there?"

They looked stunned for a minute, and I said, "instead of spending money on trying to convince people to shop locally, maybe you should spend some time trying to find out why they don't".

It actually turned into a cordial conversation, with several of the chamber members giving their own examples of rudeness or aloofness or bad service by some of our local businesses.

(as so often happens I got drafted to head up that "why don't people shop locally" survey)
    That has happened in my town, as well. I haven't asked the Chamber about it, but over and over I end up going to The Big City or The Smaller City (both about the same distance away) because local shops don't carry what I want or need. And when I ask, they just shrug as if to say, "Oh, well.".

I worked in the early-mid 90's in a craft shop in town. The owner bent over backwards to get items in that people wanted, even if she didn't normally carry them. Can't say the same for a lot of other stores here.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

2. Amen Cow Poke amen'd this post.
    Dept. of Redundancy Dept. Cow Poke's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by mossrose View Post
    That has happened in my town, as well. I haven't asked the Chamber about it, but over and over I end up going to The Big City or The Smaller City (both about the same distance away) because local shops don't carry what I want or need. And when I ask, they just shrug as if to say, "Oh, well.".

I worked in the early-mid 90's in a craft shop in town. The owner bent over backwards to get items in that people wanted, even if she didn't normally carry them. Can't say the same for a lot of other stores here.
    Usually, when I find really good service locally, I'll ask, "are you part of the owner's family"? Often, that's it! They have skin in the game. We have a Mexican Restaurant where customer service is just absolutely wonderful - and it's almost all family and extended family. You don't have to visit there very often before they're calling you by name, and guessing what you're going to order.

1 Tim 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

Not being able to get the stuff you want/need is really bad. It's even worse when they stop manufacturing it entirely. They tend to do that with most everything I actually like.
    Safka, you are NOT "unknown", you were loved by many, and you will not be forgotten. I will always remember you Puginator.

5. Amen mossrose amen'd this post.
    Dept. of Redundancy Dept. Cow Poke's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
    Not being able to get the stuff you want/need is really bad. It's even worse when they stop manufacturing it entirely. They tend to do that with most everything I actually like.
    It's almost as bad as when they totally rearrange Walmart after I learn exactly where the stuff is that I want.

1 Tim 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.

Faith
    slave & child of Christ
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerebrum123 View Post

I know!

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    It's almost as bad as when they totally rearrange Walmart after I learn exactly where the stuff is that I want.
    It's actually worse than that. At least if they just rearrange it you can still get you want after some searching.
    Safka, you are NOT "unknown", you were loved by many, and you will not be forgotten. I will always remember you Puginator.

9. Amen Cow Poke amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I know!
    Here are a few of my favorites.

Jell-O Gelatin Pops. Best popsicle ever.
    Ecto-Cooler/Cactus Cooler Hi-C.
    Starburst brand, but Twizzler style candy.

Just a small sample of things they stopped making.

Faith
    slave & child of Christ
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Kraft blue cheese dressing.

And whenever I find a lipstick colour I like, they discontinue. So I don't even wear lipstick anymore.