Announcement

Collapse

LDS - Mormonism Guidelines

Theists only.

Look! It's a bird, no it's a plane, no it's a bicycle built for two!

This forum is a debate area to discuss issues pertaining to the LDS - Mormons. This forum is generally for theists only, and is generaly not the area for debate between atheists and theists. Non-theists may not post here without first obtaining permission from the moderator of this forum. Granting of such permission is subject to Moderator discretion - and may be revoked if the Moderator feels that the poster is not keeping with the spirit of the World Religions Department.

Due to the sensitive nature of the LDS Temple Ceremonies to our LDS posters, we do not allow posting exact text of the temple rituals, articles describing older versions of the ceremony, or links that provide the same information. However discussion of generalities of the ceremony are not off limits. If in doubt, PM the area mod or an Admin

Non-theists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

When should you become a Mormon?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When should you become a Mormon?

Here is what Mormonism teaches:

The kingdom of God on earth is The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (D&C 65). The purpose of the Church is to prepare its members to live forever in the celestial kingdom or kingdom of heaven. However, the scriptures sometimes call the Church the kingdom of heaven, meaning that the Church is the kingdom of heaven on earth.
    lds.org

IOW, only Mormons are in the kingdom of God.

“The infidel will grasp at every straw for help until death stares him in the face, and then his infidelity takes its flight, for the realities of the eternal world are resting upon him in mighty power; and when every earthly support and prop fails him, he then sensibly feels the eternal truths of the immortality of the soul. We should take warning and not wait for the death-bed to repent; as we see the infant taken away by death, so may the youth and middle aged, as well as the infant be suddenly called into eternity. Let this, then, prove as a warning to all not to procrastinate repentance, or wait till a death-bed, for it is the will of God that man should repent and serve Him in health, and in the strength and power of his mind, in order to secure His blessing, and not wait until he is called to die.”11

11. History of the Church, 4:553–54; punctuation modernized; from a discourse given by Joseph Smith on Mar. 20, 1842, in Nauvoo, Illinois; reported by Wilford Woodruff.

If death bed repentance is too late, then it appears that their judgment is imminent. Will they be permitted to accept Jiseph Smith in the Spirit Prison?

Hebrews 9:27
    And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment:

In Mormonism, the children of the family of God, will be in His presence. Yet they said we're all children of God.

"So it will be of the righteous from the days of Adam down --- Adam standing at the head as Michael, having authority and jurisdiction over his posterity in this large family group who have kept the commandments of God.

"Now that is the order of the priesthood. Of course there will be chains that will be broken, links that will be missing, because we cannot force people into the kingdom. Those who are unworthy to be joined in this grouping of families will have to stand aside, and those who are worthy will be brought together and the chain will go on justthe same.

"Eventually, when the work is perfected, and Christ delivers up to the Father the keys and makes his report, and death is destroyed, then that great family from the days of Adam down, of all the righteous, those who have kept the commandments of God, will find that they are one family, the family of God, entitled to all the blessings that pertain to the exaltation."

Joseph Fielding Smith, Doctrines of Salvation, 2:68

But... Eternal Families!!
    That's what
    - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
    - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
    - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

And human aliens! Think about it.
      If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

So, the answer to the title of the thread could be "when Horace the Bull grows udders and gets milk, and it comes out flavored with Hershey's Chocolate Syrup".
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
          But... Eternal Families!!
          Remember how they screwed that up by allowing divorce, or "cancellation of sealing", but couldn't figure out who the offsprings were "sealed to" -- they just left that mess for God to figure out.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            Remember how they screwed that up by allowing divorce, or "cancellation of sealing", but couldn't figure out who the offsprings were "sealed to" -- they just left that mess for God to figure out.
            But the Mormon god was once a human(alien? different planet!). Sounds too complicated for a finite powerful entity. I'd like to know how a human can become a powerful entity. Get turned into a kryptonian? Somehow gain a reality warping powerset? Do mormons think that humans are the larval form of whatever type of creature their god is? I can do this all day! Is it okay for me to make fun of a cult?

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
              Is it okay for me to make fun of a cult?
              Just don't make fun of MY cult! We believe in eating flesh, drinking blood, and dead people coming back to life.

Comment

So, the answer to the title of the thread could be "when Horace the Bull grows udders and gets milk, and it comes out flavored with Hershey's Chocolate Syrup".
                You're from Texas, aren't you?
                That's what
                - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Do mormons think that humans are the larval form of whatever type of creature their god is?
                  Yes. They call it "gods in embryo"
                  That's what
                  - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

You're from Texas, aren't you?
                    It shows?

Comment

Just don't make fun of MY cult! We believe in eating flesh, drinking blood, and dead people coming back to life.
                      It's not really flesh and blood. It's most likely crackers/bread and grape juice/wine. And dead people coming back to life makes sense in a theistic universe. Finite beings can't become omnipotent, omnipresent, omniscient, etc. beings.

Comment

It shows?
                        Only a lot
                        That's what
                        - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Yes. They call it "gods in embryo"
                          How do they explain the lack of evidence for the nonillion lifeforms that have to be swarming the galaxy, much less the universe if their cosmology is true? Or do they claim a multiverse theory now?

Comment

How do they explain the lack of evidence for the nonillion lifeforms that have to be swarming the galaxy, much less the universe if their cosmology is true? Or do they claim a multiverse theory now?
                            A multiverse. Each "god" gets to make their own universe.
                            That's what
                            - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

A multiverse. Each "god" gets to make their own universe.
                              Don't they know how much power and wisdom it takes to create a universe? A LOT! Unless they mean like a puny micro universe like in some comic book created by a human alien. Which sounds weird to me.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X