Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Common Issues In Discussions With Skeptics?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Common Issues In Discussions With Skeptics?

Not sure if this is the best place to post this, but I suppose it'll do. This will be a pretty open thread, and you can make of the title what you'd like, but I recently had a conversation with someone on another forum that I found totally frustrating, and I've run into this more than once over the years.

Basically it goes something like this: Someone makes a point about something the Bible says. Skeptic offers typical skeptic response. Someone corrects typical skeptic response as objectively as possible. Skeptic thinks that corrector is attempting to Evangelize rather than simply explaining what the Bible says, or what the audience understood it to say.

So, for example: Topic of tattoos and Christians comes up. Someone notes the irony of a Christian getting a tattoo based on the prohibition in Leviticus. Someone else points out that the Old Testament is not binding in the same way towards Christians as ancient Jews. Skeptic leaps in to point out that Jesus said that he came to fulfill the law, but did not come to destroy it, thus the Law is binding on Christians, and they're just picking and choosing what they want to keep. I point out that according to one mainstream Christian view, that, yes, Jesus didn't destroy the Law. It is still in full effect to those not in Christ, but because Jesus fulfilled the Law, that one, in a sense, bypasses the Law by making Jesus first in their life. In a way, Jesus become the umbrella for the believer. They no longer must follow the letter of the law with its sacrifices and rituals, but the heart of the Law. Jesus, Christians believe, did the hard part. This is confirmed in Paul's Epistles (particularly Galatians), as well the Gospels themselves, and in Jesus own words on the subject to the Pharisees and religious leaders. Skeptic replies that he doesn't believe in "the heart of the law", or "fulfilling the law". There is no such thing. A law is a law, and it has rules that one must follow. There is no escape clause. It's all gibberish, and, he's honestly not trying to offend me, but it's the same as reading about Harry Potter doing spells to remove rats... I attempt to explain to the skeptic that that misses my point entirely. What I had just told him wasn't an attempt to get him to believe that Jesus actually did X,Y, and Z (though I believe he did), what I'm trying to get the skeptic to understand is that this is one exegetical approach to the text. What I want him to understand is what the original author intended, and what the initial audience (and audiences since then) have received. It does not require him to believe that it is true to recognize that others have this view, and that this view is wholly consistent with the rest of their worldview.

This, of course, did not go over well with the skeptic, who, throughout the exchange, kept reminding me that he didn't believe in this supernatural garbage, and that I was being condescending. I just could not get him to understand that I was not attempting to preach to him. I even cited a respected scholar on the subject, and made the point that even non-Christian scholars exegete on passages in this way all the time. It just didn't sink in. After about a half dozen posts, attempting as best I could to be patient with him. Giving him examples I thought he might understand. Explaining over and over again that I wasn't attempting to Evangelize to him, he left, calling me a moron.

I've come to the conclusion that with some people there is just a mental block. They can't or they won't make sense of a thing. Will not actually read what is being written to them, and conceptualize it correctly. The skeptic here was fine with assuming that the Bible taught a thing, and that Christians believed the Bible taught this thing, but when I corrected him, showed him what some scholars actually teach, he all of a sudden assumed I was attempting to convert him. There's a line between willful ignorance, and spiritual blindness, and I'm attempted to say this is the latter, but perhaps not. Perhaps some people simply do not want to see what they do not want to see.

Can anyone relate? Anyone have any other common issues they run into, and/or solutions to these issues?

I think I'm probably less charitable than you, Adrift. I think there are some legitimate, sincere "questioners," but that those who call themselves "skeptics" are often of the "My mind is made up, don't confuse me with facts" mentality.

Shake the dust off your cyber-feet and leave them to their fates.
    Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

I think one of the most frustrating things is when skeptics, or especially atheists, use Scripture to try to prove their point, or to disprove yours, with no understanding whatsoever of Scripture.

Like one of the atheists recently trying to support 'relief of the poor' through taxation by citing biblical examples of people in the early church giving up their possessions to the Apostles for distribution to those in need, or the widow giving all she had. That followers of Christ VOLUNTARILY gave to the relief of the poor is not support for a government welfare program.

I'm kind of a broken record on this, but I think the power of the Holy Spirit is the key difference. When we're "prayed up", and the Spirit is with us, things go a lot more smoothly than when we're dealing with somebody who is just out to prove their point, they've made up their mind, and all they want to do is argue.

I'm still a bit puzzled by atheists spend so much time on Tweb arguing against something they don't believe. Sometimes, I get the feeling they're really trying to convince themselves that God doesn't exist, or that -- whatever it is they're arguing.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I was thinking about something along these lines the other day. It seems to me that for some skeptics, everything Christians believe is wrong. So they can't agree that, say, there are some pretty good arguments for libertarian free will. Every argument for every Christian position is 'wrong' in their eyes.

Most Christians can agree that a particular argument for a particular position is poor, after a discussion. But some skeptics can't bring themselves to accept any argument, or any belief that might be related to Christianity being true. On other topics, many people can be brought to change or modify their position if presented with good reasons. Maybe it's part of the reason they're skeptics in the first place - they have a base attitude of disbelief. Perhaps another aspect is that atheism is a rejection of belief....
        ...>>> Witty remark or snarky quote of another poster goes here <<<...

Comment

pretty much every fundy athiest will try such tactics with OT law. "but your bible says you can't wear blended fabrics! You can't eat pork or shellfish!" when you point out that such things do not matter, then they cry "so why do you say homosexuality is wrong then!" as if that were a "gotcha"

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
            pretty much every fundy athiest will try such tactics with OT law. "but your bible says you can't wear blended fabrics! You can't eat pork or shellfish!" when you point out that such things do not matter, then they cry "so why do you say homosexuality is wrong then!" as if that were a "gotcha"
            Or that the OT commands the stoning of children for being disobedient. This despite the fact that the word "child" was not age specific in the Hebrew, that the charges included drunkenness and gluttony, and they had to be brought before the elders to act as a jury.

Comment

With me its people trying to make me out as being stupid.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
                Or that the OT commands the stoning of children for being disobedient. This despite the fact that the word "child" was not age specific in the Hebrew, that the charges included drunkenness and gluttony, and they had to be brought before the elders to act as a jury.
                Maybe that's why we have an Old Testament Book named "Stonings".
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Whenever I do get in arguements which I try not to it always goes to canards. You know stuff like.
                  1. The spanish inquisition.
                  2. Galileo
                  3. The SS belts
                  4. Stuff ripped straight out of Alexander Hislop.
                  5. Out of context verses
                  That kind of stuff.
                  sigpic

Comment

Honestly as someone who once used sych canards I am amazed at how I could have broken them easily with some research
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TheWall View Post
                      Whenever I do get in arguements which I try not to it always goes to canards. You know stuff like.
                      1. The spanish inquisition.
                      2. Galileo
                      3. The SS belts
                      4. Stuff ripped straight out of Alexander Hislop.
                      5. Out of context verses
                      That kind of stuff.
                      To quote my Catholic Physics professor "hey, Galileo got off on appeal!"
                      I am Punkinhead.

"I have missed you, Oh Grand High Priestess of the Order of the Stirring Pot"

~ Cow Poke aka CP aka Creacher aka ke7ejx's apprentice....

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                        Maybe that's why we have an Old Testament Book named "Stonings".
                        as a pirate my favorite OT book is Looteronomy.

Comment

Honestly my time travel email shows just how fundy i used to be.
                          sigpic

Comment

I think the skeptic is probably right about tattoos. It's a little dubious to say that they are part of the ceremonial law. But I agree with the main issue of blindness in general.

Comment

Originally posted by Obsidian View Post
                              I think the skeptic is probably right about tattoos.
                              That always reminds me of the Holocaust survivor I met about 10-15 years ago who showed me his 'tattoo', and told me how he cried when the German guy tattooed his number on his arm, because he was an observant Jew....

If I recall correctly, his concern (as a young man) was that he wouldn't be allowed to be buried in his family cemetery with his Jewish mother.

Comment