Announcement

Collapse

The Pulpit Guidelines

This is the place for quiet meditations and reflections. No debate is permitted, and we ask that the fact that this is a Christian-owned site be respected in that the majority of the spiritual reflections expressed here will be Christian in perspective. We ask that mediations that are blatantly unorthodox or contrary to Christianity not be posted. Respectful interaction and posting by those of other beliefs is permitted. Moderators are given wide discretion and latitude as to the appropriateness of posts in this area.

Please keep in mind the rules: here
See more
See less

SUIADOS - in life

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SUIADOS - in life

No, it's not Latin or Greek. Not even Spanish.

That was part of my Sermon yesterday morning.

It stemmed from the fact that Jesus promised His disciples that there WOULD be offenses, and Paul warned timothy that "all who lived godly in Christ Jesus would suffer persecution". It was about the whole notion of "forgetting those things which are behind" and "pressing on".

I guess it (the sermon) was somewhat inspired by all this 'snowflake' nonsense - that God's GRACE is sufficient to carry us through our challenges.

Anyway, "SIUADOS" comes from something we learned from our speaker at the Billy Graham Christian Life & Witness Course we sponsored at our Church about 15 years ago. I'll call him John. (Because his name was John) John was the speaker from the Billy Graham Association presenting the course. One of his examples for "pressing on" came from his experience as a Tank Commander in Desert Storm.

He was an Army Sergeant in command of 6 or 7 M1A1 Abrams Main Battle Tanks, and the 40 or so crew and support members.

He said his guys, most of whom were 17-20 year old "kids", would sometimes get into "whining fits" like 3 year olds on a family vacation... "it's hot", "I've got sand in my underwear", "are we there yet", "why are these bugs so huge", "what kind of spider is that", "how come they have sand tornadoes?".....

John said, every once in a while, he'd just have to snap them back to reality and tell them "Suck It Up And Drive On, Soldier!"

One day, he noticed "SIUADOS" stenciled on the gun tube of his lead tank. He didn't get it at first, til that tank's commander responded, "It stands for SUCK IT UP AND DRIVE ON, SOLDIER" John said he laughed hard, and often heard his guys tell that to each other when somebody started griping.

Subsequently, I used it in a sermon, quoting John, and telling his story.

Like so many things, these things come back to bite you.

One evening, I came home from a deacon's meeting where one particular deacon had been a pain in the butt. I told my wife about it, apparently thinking I was going to get some sympathy. What I got, however, was a very GOOD imitation of me, quoting John, saying.....

SUCK IT UP AND DRIVE ON, PASTOR!

I love that girl!
    Last edited by Cow Poke; 09-05-2016, 11:01 AM.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

ONYASFPCP

(Oh No. Yet Another Story From Pastor Cow Poke)

PDBMIH

(Please Don't Blast Me Into Hell)

Comment