Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Credit Scores & Debt in General

Faith
    slave & child of Christ
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    When I see, at "the till" () a sign that says something like "15% for our valued store credit card customers", I'll ask, "Am I not a 'valued customer' if I don't use your store credit card?" I found out that, some stores, like Kohls, will go ahead and give you that same 15% off for cash or "other than store credit card" if you just ask.

Again, some things you NEVER KNOW unless you ask.

And I am not afraid to ask! My husband is always surprised when I tell him about a deal I got because I just went ahead and asked.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Dept. of Redundancy Dept. Cow Poke's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by mossrose View Post

And I am not afraid to ask! My husband is always surprised when I tell him about a deal I got because I just went ahead and asked.
    And often I'll start off just joking... when they ask "do you like this suit jacket?" I might say "I'd like it a lot more if it were $30 cheaper". Sometimes they'll come back with "well, I can meet you halfway"....

I think one of the main keys is not giving the impression you really need the item. Sometimes I'll even tell them "it looks like you want to sell it a lot more than I want to buy it".

1 Tim 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.

3. Amen mossrose amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    One of my favorite car buying stories.... (my wife absolutely REFUSES to go with me when buying cars - she'll go with me to look, but when it comes to "the art of the deal" she says "take me home first")

I had been wanting a Honda Civic for a friend, I had promised to help him buy a car. It was a used car, and I had an old Ford Pinto to trade. (A trade-in always complicates the deal, of course)

I found a Honda Civic that had been used as a "demo", and the salesman told me that their accountant had driven it to commute to work, 20 miles each way, for the past 6 or 7 months. He was really wanting to sell it... "end of month clearance, I only need one more sale to meet quota, yada yada yada...."

He had the dealership check out my Pinto, and came up with a trade-in allowance, which obviously was WAY low. He told me what a wonderful "like new" vehicle this Civic was, and how "three other people are looking at it, and considering buying it". I said, "super, maybe one of them will buy it!"

He asked me "what can I do to sell you this car today". I replied "absolutely nothing - cause I have this rule that I never buy a car the same day I look at it, and I will go home first and pray about it".

He seemed to recoil a bit when I said "pray about it", but it didn't stop him from trying to sweeten the deal. He came down on the price of the Civic, and went up on the value of my Pinto, and I think he actually thought I was about to sign. I thanked him for his time, and headed for the door. He called, "wait, you're leaving?" I said "going home to pray about it - you work on those numbers and maybe you can call me tomorrow". He said, "but what if somebody else comes along and buys it first?" I said, "then the Good Lord has other plans for me!"

The next morning, he called and said, "I guess 'the Good Lord' is saving that Civic for you, cause none of those other guys showed up".

I stopped by the dealership, looked at the deal he had written up, pointed to the trade-in value, and said "round that up to the nearest thousand, and I might actually sign". He did, and I did.

1 Tim 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.

6. Amen mossrose, Cerebrum123 amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I went to a Dave Ramsey seminar at church one time and it convinced me to get out of debt. Although he advises not having any credit cards at all, I keep a couple because I buy stuff off the interwebz and do nt want to use a debit card and put my checking acct at risk. I keep the cards paid off every month and keep a few months emergency cash in savings. I dont make much money but I have managed to have a pretty decent lifestyle by staying out of debt and having enough savings to cover unexpected costs here and there.

8. Amen mossrose amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    I went to a Dave Ramsey seminar at church one time and it convinced me to get out of debt. Although he advises not having any credit cards at all, I keep a couple because I buy stuff off the interwebz and do nt want to use a debit card and put my checking acct at risk. I keep the cards paid off every month and keep a few months emergency cash in savings. I dont make much money but I have managed to have a pretty decent lifestyle by staying out of debt and having enough savings to cover unexpected costs here and there.
    Yeah, there are the "purists" who are against ALL debt... I have no problem using OPM under the right circumstances. And, for example, it's pretty hard to rent a car without a credit card.

10. Amen Carrikature amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Yeah, there are the "purists" who are against ALL debt... I have no problem using OPM under the right circumstances. And, for example, it's pretty hard to rent a car without a credit card.
    Ramsey probably figures that most people dont have the discipline to keep a card paid off. I just know that I do.

most times a debit card or a prepaid card is enough to take care of most types of transactions, but I dont want to risk my actual bank acct, or tie up money in a prepaid card.

A debit card has supposed protection, but you will be out of money until you get it straightened out if it gets ripped off. I would rather the credit card company be out of the money until they straighten it out instead of me.

12. Amen Cow Poke, Jedidiah amen'd this post.
    Faith
    slave & child of Christ
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    We use our credit card for a lot of things. Our current one gives us cash back on every purchase and as long as the money is in the bank to pay it off, we will continue to do so.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

14. Amen Cow Poke amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    Ramsey probably figures that most people dont have the discipline to keep a card paid off. I just know that I do.

most times a debit card or a prepaid card is enough to take care of most types of transactions, but I dont want to risk my actual bank acct, or tie up money in a prepaid card.

A debit card has supposed protection, but you will be out of money until you get it straightened out if it gets ripped off. I would rather the credit card company be out of the money until they straighten it out instead of me.
    Yeah

Faith
    Ecumenical Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Unfortunately because of surgeries and visits to the hospital, we literally were stuck without insurance for 2 years. for those reasons and being denied ANY assistance, we are having to file chapter 7. Our state has no protection against medical debt and they can take everything but your kids and your rental home. Without Chapter 7 they can take all of your furniture bank accounts wages, clothes etc, unless you file. our debts are high enough vs our wages that we qualify. Ironically we have no credit cards, pay cash for everything, and paid off as much of the debt as we could.
    A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
    George Bernard Shaw