Announcement

Collapse

Home Economics 101

Welcome to the Home Ec Section. Matters of the family sometimes bring joy and other times bring grief. But it is never trivial: Family matters! Feel free to discuss topics such as the sanctity of marriage; the awesome responsibility of raising children; the struggles of communication problems; the grief of losing a loved one; or anything else that relates to the home and family. However, due to the more personal nature of this section, I ask that you would be especially thoughtful of the readers' feelings. My earnest hope and prayer is that the discussions in this section will help families grow in the love of Christ.

But remember, always play by the rules: here
See more
See less

Credit Scores & Debt in General

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
    Kohl's, at least, has a general policy of "accommodate anything the customer wants under XXX dollars". My sister used to work there. That policy gets really abused by a lot of people.
    But in a sense that is true with virtually all retail businesses. There is an adage about complaining up the chain until you reach a person who can say "yes."

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Kohl's, at least, has a general policy of "accommodate anything the customer wants under XXX dollars". My sister used to work there. That policy gets really abused by a lot of people.
      Their return policy used to be insane... My wife would be there with something AND the store receipt, and somebody else would be there with something ratty and maybe even torn, with NO receipt, and the clerk would refund them the amount they said they paid.

Don't know if they still do that - haven't lived near a Kohls in a long time.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
        But in a sense that is true with virtually all retail businesses. There is an adage about complaining up the chain until you reach a person who can say "yes."
        I used to be infamous at saying "OK, (look at the name tag) Shirley... it's OK that you can't answer my question, but can you get me your immediate supervisor?"

Often, they would have a sudden change in attitude, "oh, there's no need for that, I can help you..."
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          Zym,

Something to think about. Look at the interest you're making on the savings -- probably next to nothing, right? And look at the interest you are PAYING on your credit cards. SAVINGS are important, but if your savings are being eaten up by finance charges and interest on the other side of the ledger, they're not really savings.

One of the reasons savings is important, of course, is when those emergencies come up. But if you're planning on handling emergencies with credit cards, the savings isn't really all that critical.

Just something to think about.
          It is if you want to pay off those credit cards and not pay outrageous interest rates while you do it.

When my AC went out last month, I put it on my credit card, which gives me 30 days to pay it back without interest. I took the money out of savings, and will use it to pay off the credit card. That way I had 30 days of "free" credit, but didn't have to pay any interest.

I normally keep my saving in E*trade, in a combination of low to middle risk investments. It takes about a week or so to liquidate the stocks and transfer the cash to my checking account, thus the use of the credit card until I can pay it off on emergencies. E*trade seems to be doing pretty good for me, I average about 6% to 8% interest. I don't have much usually in there (especially now that I had to buy a new AC) but I try to put any extra money in there, like tax refunds, etc.

Comment

This would not work today, but back in the early 80's, I wanted to take my wife and small children to Disneyland.

I didn't want to have a bunch of debt when we got back, so I decided I'd open a savings account.
            I went to our local bank, and told them I wanted to borrow $1,000 for six months.

Banker: "Do you have any collateral?"
            Me: "Yes, a thousand dollar CD".
            Banker: "Where is it?"
            Me: "It's still in your bank."
            Banker (looking confused)
            Me: "That's what I want the $1,000 loan for - to buy the thousand dollar CD"
            Banker: (still looking confused) "But, the interest rate you'll pay on the loan is more than the interest rate you'll earn on the CD"
            Me: "That's OK - I know if I OWE the money, I'll pay it back, but I'm not as good at "saving" money, so this will force me to 'save' $1,000 for vacation".
            Banker: (looking really confused) "Well, OK, if that's how you want to spend your money...."

Six months later, after faithfully paying back the loan, the banker handed me my now paid for $1,000 CD.
            I said, OK, I just need to cash that for my vacation money.

The banker disappeared to the back, then came back with a check after being gone for longer than I thought it would take to print a check...

He said, "the money you earned on the CD is MORE than the money you paid in interest". He looked stunned. I was pleasantly surprised.
            The CD was compound interest, the loan was simple interest.

I sure wish I could do that a bunch of times today, but things have changed, and they don't do it like that anymore.
            cool.

I remember the days of the competing long distance companies. MCI, AT&T, etc. They would pay you $100 to switch to them. Once I made like $300 just switching back and forth between them. ah, the good ol days.

Comment

Babylon Bee
              Dave Ramsey Bursts Through Wall Like Kool-Aid Man To Stop Christian From Using Credit Card

ramsey-3-696x394.jpg

DULUTH, MN—According to police, local Christian John Arturo was attempting to purchase an expensive new Scotty Cameron putter online using his Visa card Wednesday afternoon, when he was stopped cold by financial guru Dave Ramsey, who burst through his living room wall “just like the Kool-Aid Man” and smacked the credit card out of his hand.

“Oh, no!” Ramsey reportedly yelled as he exploded through the wall and dashed toward a bewildered Arturo, whose mouse cursor was just hovering above the “Place Order” button on the Dicks Sporting Goods website. “Not today, punk!”
              http://babylonbee.com/news/dave-rams...g-credit-card/

Comment

Their return policy used to be insane... My wife would be there with something AND the store receipt, and somebody else would be there with something ratty and maybe even torn, with NO receipt, and the clerk would refund them the amount they said they paid.

Don't know if they still do that - haven't lived near a Kohls in a long time.
                I'd be surprised if it's changed. That concept was one of their core ideas regarding customer service. No receipt? No problem. Can't prove we even carry it? That's ok, we'll give you something you say is similar at no charge.

The stupid thing is...Kohl's is already pretty inexpensive. I don't shop there anymore mostly because the quality is so bad.
                I'm not here anymore.

Comment

I'd be surprised if it's changed. That concept was one of their core ideas regarding customer service. No receipt? No problem. Can't prove we even carry it? That's ok, we'll give you something you say is similar at no charge.

The stupid thing is...Kohl's is already pretty inexpensive. I don't shop there anymore mostly because the quality is so bad.
                  The only time I shopped there (wife was the main one) was when she got one of those 30% off coupons, and I wanted to buy, for example, a Kuerig coffee maker, or some other item that generally had a "fixed price" in retail.

OH, and I would occasionally find a decent 100% cotton button down dress shirt for like $20, as opposed to the $40-60 elsewhere. Trying to remember brand name I like, but they were really good shirts.

Comment

Kohl's is the closest clothes store so I've actually shopped there a lot. It's true; their stuff is very cheaply made and does not last very long.
                    βλέπομεν γὰρ ἄρτι δι᾿ ἐσόπτρου ἐν αἰνίγματι, τότε δὲ πρόσωπον πρὸς πρόσωπον·
                    ἄρτι γινώσκω ἐκ μέρους, τότε δὲ ἐπιγνώσομαι καθὼς καὶ ἐπεγνώσθην.

אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

Originally posted by robrecht View Post
                      Kohl's is the closest clothes store so I've actually shopped there a lot. It's true; their stuff is very cheaply made and does not last very long.
                      It's a pretty good lesson in "get what you pay for".
                      I'm not here anymore.

Comment

It's a pretty good lesson in "get what you pay for".
                        True. And, in some cases it's worth it.

Comment