Announcement

Collapse

The Pulpit Guidelines

This is the place for quiet meditations and reflections. No debate is permitted, and we ask that the fact that this is a Christian-owned site be respected in that the majority of the spiritual reflections expressed here will be Christian in perspective. We ask that mediations that are blatantly unorthodox or contrary to Christianity not be posted. Respectful interaction and posting by those of other beliefs is permitted. Moderators are given wide discretion and latitude as to the appropriateness of posts in this area.

Please keep in mind the rules: here
See more
See less

Somebody Stole My Wife's Study Bible

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Somebody Stole My Wife's Study Bible

She kept it on her desk at work, and one day it was gone. She asked around, cause she thought somebody might have just borrowed it to look something up, and forgot to put it back on her desk. Her office is in a "controlled access" part of her building, so she figured it had to be a coworker.

She was not so concerned about the fact that somebody stole a Bible - that could be a GOOD thing. But it had a lot of her notes in the margins, and otherwise had sentimental value, as I had given it to her for Mother's Day a long time ago. She asked around, but nobody seemed to know anything.

Then the IT guy was upgrading Mrs CP's Mac, and said he had heard about her Bible, and asked if she knew when it first came up missing. Mrs CP knew she had used it on a certain date, and also remembered the first time she noticed it missing, so there was about a 36 hour window, including a weekend.

A couple days later, IT guy came to her and asked, "do you want to know who took your Bible"? He had reviewed security camera footage for the time period in question, and discovered it was a lady from the cleaning service. It was quite a surprise, because Mrs CP had interacted with her a number of times, as Mrs CP gets to work early, just as the cleaning people are leaving. It was a bit of conundrum.... the lady will no doubt be fired without question if it could be proven she stole the anything from the work environment.

We talked about it, and decided to buy her a Bible, and my wife would pray about how and when (and if) to approach her. Well, yesterday was the day, and Mrs CP arrived at work just as cleaning people were finishing up, and she asked the lady - Jaio - if she would step into her office. She looked terrified and started backing away, but Mrs CP insisted it would be OK. Jaio was from China, and had only been in the US a couple years, and she kept saying "I want no trouble".

Mrs CP showed her the Bible, and said, "I'd like you to have this, because my Bible came up missing, and I know how important it is to have a Bible". (Don't know what all else was said, but suffice it to say, after tears of remorse on Jaio's part, she finally accepted the Bible and told Mrs CP "I will find yours for you".) Long story short, Jaio explained she only borrowed it over the weekend, and planned on having it back before Monday morning, but "I kept reading and reading..." Jaio seemed more worried that somebody would find out she was reading a Bible, than that somebody would find out she stole something. Mrs CP had to promise "do not tell anybody I am reading Bible".

So, just about an hour ago, I got an email from Mrs CP: "Guess what was on my desk this morning".

This could be the beginning of a beautiful (maybe even eternal) relationship!
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

What a wonderful testimony, CP. The Lord has a way of working these things out!
    That's what
    - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
    - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
    - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

you have the best stories. Maybe we should change your user name to "PH" for Paul Harvey.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
        What a wonderful testimony, CP. The Lord has a way of working these things out!
        It will be interesting to see if/how this develops over the next few months. I frequently tell the story of the professor at Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary who was teaching a class on Pastoral Ministry. For the final exam, he had told the students there would be two major bonus questions, and they should pay particular attention to the "love in action" part of the course to be ready for those.

Long story short, the two bonus questions were "what is the name of the lady who cleans our classrooms" and "how many children does she have". (those might not be the exact questions - it's been a long time, but the point was that, to many people, the "cleaning people" are pretty much invisible or non-existent) And the bonus points were quite substantial... you could almost flunk the final, and the bonus questions would be your salvation, so to speak.

My wife has always enjoyed making a point to "see" the cleaning people, and others who aren't "important" in the eyes of the world. She's a pretty good girl, and I'll probably keep her.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

This reminded me of how I may or may not have stolen the first (non-children's) Bible that I ever owned. I was probably between 6 or 7 and we were at a hospital or post-hospital care building, I think. Some sort of place that had rooms for residency. I found a Bible (NIV) in a table drawer and started looking at it and asked my parents if I could have it and they were basically like "Yeah, whatever"
          אָמַר לוֹ יֵשׁוּעַ: אֲנִי הַדֶּרֶךְ וְהָאֱמֶת וְהַחַיִּים. אֵין אִישׁ בָּא אֶל הָאָב אֶלָּא דַּרְכִּי
          "Yeshua said, 'I AM the Way — and the Truth and the Life; no one comes to the Father except through me'" - Yochanan 14:6
          כֻּלָּ֨נוּ֙ כַּצֹּ֣אן תָּעִ֔ינוּ אִ֥ישׁ לְדַרְכֹּ֖ו פָּנִ֑ינוּ וַֽיהוָה֙ הִפְגִּ֣יעַ בֹּ֔ו אֵ֖ת עֲוֹ֥ן כֻּלָּֽנוּ
          "We all, like sheep, went astray; we turned, each one, to his own way; yet HASHEM laid on him the guilt of all of us" - Yesha'yahu 53:6

Comment

Great story. I still have my first three bibles, one of which seemed to have been abandoned. Don't know who it had previously belonged to, but it immediately became my favorite bible, a study version of the original Jerusalem Bible in English, the translation on which JRR Tolkien had worked. The English is sublime, even if not always an accurate translation of the original languages. The Bible is an amazing collection of books.
            βλέπομεν γὰρ ἄρτι δι᾿ ἐσόπτρου ἐν αἰνίγματι, τότε δὲ πρόσωπον πρὸς πρόσωπον·
            ἄρτι γινώσκω ἐκ μέρους, τότε δὲ ἐπιγνώσομαι καθὼς καὶ ἐπεγνώσθην.

אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
              you have the best stories. Maybe we should change your user name to "PH" for Paul Harvey.
              I hit someone in the head with a study bible once - does that count?
              Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                I hit someone in the head with a study bible once - does that count?
                Why does this not surprise me?
                βλέπομεν γὰρ ἄρτι δι᾿ ἐσόπτρου ἐν αἰνίγματι, τότε δὲ πρόσωπον πρὸς πρόσωπον·
                ἄρτι γινώσκω ἐκ μέρους, τότε δὲ ἐπιγνώσομαι καθὼς καὶ ἐπεγνώσθην.

אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

Originally posted by Y'hoshua View Post
                  This reminded me of how I may or may not have stolen the first (non-children's) Bible that I ever owned. I was probably between 6 or 7 and we were at a hospital or post-hospital care building, I think. Some sort of place that had rooms for residency. I found a Bible (NIV) in a table drawer and started looking at it and asked my parents if I could have it and they were basically like "Yeah, whatever"
                  If it happened to be a Gideon Bible, they fully intended for you to take it.

Comment

Thats adorable.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by robrecht View Post
                      Why does this not surprise me?
                      ; )
                      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

At the last tweb convention, we stayed at a fairfield inn, which is owned by the mormons. There was a book of mormon in the rooms. I didn't steal it, but I did leave a copy of JP Holding's "The Mormon Defenders" in the drawer with it. Maybe someone "stole" it and put it to good use.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                          At the last tweb convention, we stayed at a fairfield inn, which is owned by the mormons. There was a book of mormon in the rooms. I didn't steal it, but I did leave a copy of JP Holding's "The Mormon Defenders" in the drawer with it. Maybe someone "stole" it and put it to good use.
                          I remember that convention.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                          Working...
                          X