Page 10 of 26 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 257

Thread: Interpretation the Trinity is polytheistic

  1. #91
    tWebber Christianbookworm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Northern Hemisphere
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    9,657
    Amen (Given)
    5732
    Amen (Received)
    1875
    Quote Originally Posted by Same Hakeem View Post
    All over the Bible, God is one. Therefore, Jesus CANNOT BE GOD and be WITH God in John 1:2. Otherwise, this requires having two GODS.
    Did you know it's a philosophical impossibility to have more than one omnipotent, omniscient, and omnipresent Beings? They'd essentially just be the same Being. But one Being that is three Persons works just fine! And even better, said Being would not need external persons for meeting the needs for community. After all, if God desires fellowship with us, there needed to be fellowship in Himself in eternity past or He'd need fellowship instead of merely desiring to invite us to join the dance.
    If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

  2. #92
    tWebber
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    17,200
    Amen (Given)
    2138
    Amen (Received)
    1684
    Quote Originally Posted by Christianbookworm View Post
    Did you know it's a philosophical impossibility to have more than one omnipotent, omniscient, and omnipresent Beings? They'd essentially just be the same Being. But one Being that is three Persons works just fine! And even better, said Being would not need external persons for meeting the needs for community. After all, if God desires fellowship with us, there needed to be fellowship in Himself in eternity past or He'd need fellowship instead of merely desiring to invite us to join the dance.
    Was Jesus omnipresent while on earth?

  3. #93
    tWebber shunyadragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Hillsborough, NC
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    15,483
    Amen (Given)
    1737
    Amen (Received)
    1036
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrawnus View Post
    Well, yes? That's what the doctrine of the Trinity teaches any way, so I'm not sure why you're bringing attention to that fact?
    It is the fact that they are three anthropomorphic individuals therefore polytheism.
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

    go with the flow the river knows . . .

    Frank

    I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

  4. #94
    42nd Mojave Year DesertBerean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Barstow, CA
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    6,851
    Amen (Given)
    5983
    Amen (Received)
    2306
    Quote Originally Posted by shunyadragon View Post
    It is the fact that they are three anthropomorphic individuals therefore polytheism.
    Lol. You are begging the question. You start off with "anthropomorphic" (human qualities attributed where they don't exist).

    The Bible says we bear the image of God. Can the human qualities be actually reflections of God's nature in US? Polytheism might very well be a broken, flawed view of the truth about God?

  5. Amen Chrawnus, Cerebrum123 amen'd this post.
  6. #95
    tWebber Chrawnus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Finland
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    5,244
    Amen (Given)
    5381
    Amen (Received)
    3865
    Quote Originally Posted by shunyadragon View Post
    It is the fact that they are three anthropomorphic individuals therefore polytheism.
    Being two (or three) distinct persons does not necessitate being two (or three) distinct beings.

    Also, you calling the God of Christianity "anthropomorphic individuals" is simply you begging the question that the God of the Bible was created in the image of man, instead of man being created in the image of God. It's not God who is anthropomorphic, it's we who are theomorphic.

  7. Amen MaxVel, Cerebrum123 amen'd this post.
  8. #96
    tWebber
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    17,200
    Amen (Given)
    2138
    Amen (Received)
    1684
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrawnus View Post
    Being two (or three) distinct persons does not necessitate being two (or three) distinct beings.

    Also, you calling the God of Christianity "anthropomorphic individuals" is simply you begging the question that the God of the Bible was created in the image of man, instead of man being created in the image of God. It's not God who is anthropomorphic, it's we who are theomorphic.
    Jesus was anthropormorphic, at least for a time, so I would assume the other two persons could also be anthropormophic should they choose to be, No?

  9. #97
    tWebber
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Faith
    Muslim
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    479
    Amen (Given)
    0
    Amen (Received)
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by Christianbookworm View Post
    Did you know it's a philosophical impossibility to have more than one omnipotent, omniscient, and omnipresent Beings? They'd essentially just be the same Being. But one Being that is three Persons works just fine! And even better, said Being would not need external persons for meeting the needs for community. After all, if God desires fellowship with us, there needed to be fellowship in Himself in eternity past or He'd need fellowship instead of merely desiring to invite us to join the dance.
    Saying "But one Being that is three Persons works just fine" is refuted by Jesus in Matthew 24:36 where Jesus said "of that day and that hour no one knows not the angels in heaven but only the Father" therefore, had the Holy Spirit been God, Jesus would not have limited the knowledge of his second coming to "ONLY THE FATHER" in Matthew 24:36 because "God knows everything" in 1 John 3:20.

  10. #98
    tWebber Christianbookworm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Northern Hemisphere
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    9,657
    Amen (Given)
    5732
    Amen (Received)
    1875
    A human brain can't hold everything, so most of Jesus' omniscience is now likely subconscious.
    If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

  11. #99
    tWebber Chrawnus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Finland
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    5,244
    Amen (Given)
    5381
    Amen (Received)
    3865
    Quote Originally Posted by JimL View Post
    Jesus was anthropormorphic, at least for a time, so I would assume the other two persons could also be anthropormophic should they choose to be, No?
    Anthropomorphic means that you attribute human characteristics to something that is not human, but according to the doctrine of the Incarnation Jesus really did become fully human when He took on human nature, so the charge of anthropomorphism doesn't hold even after the incarnation. But yes, as far as I know there's nothing that would hinder the Father or the Spirit from taking on human nature if They so chose.

  12. Amen MaxVel amen'd this post.
  13. #100
    tWebber Chrawnus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Finland
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    5,244
    Amen (Given)
    5381
    Amen (Received)
    3865
    Quote Originally Posted by Christianbookworm View Post
    A human brain can't hold everything, so most of Jesus' omniscience is now likely subconscious.
    I don't think so. Jesus being God means that his knowledge or awareness isn't limited to what his physical brain can contain, so there's no need for his omniscience to be subconscious. I'm not even sure what that would mean. Even if you take into account our subconsciousness there still wouldn't be enough room in a brain to store all the knowledge God has.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •