Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Interpretation the Trinity is polytheistic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Trucker View Post
    '
    The Question you were asked was: "Please quote us the Christian Scripture[s] that would authorize such actions." Perhaps I missed it. So help me out here.
    Originally posted by Trucker View Post
    '
    Where, in all the information you either posted or linked to IS THERE ONE COMMAND TO ME AS A CHRISTIAN OR AUTHORIZATION FOR ME AS A CHRISTIAN TO UNJUSTLY MISTREAT OR ABUSE ANYONE???
    To quote Acton, power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Church leaders denounced Jews and other non Christians. The mob then did the rest.

'
    For me as a Christian witchcraft [assuming there is presently such a practice] is wrong.
    Yet we know of at least one Christian bishop that practised necromancy.

'
    Now how have I mistreated anyone with that statement???? Tell me!! If I were to encounter in person a self admitted witch [or wicca] I have no authority to harm her [or him] in any way.
    That did not prevent Christians doing so. I assume you know about the witchcraft trials of the seventeenth century? Even in an American colony.

'
    But I do have every right as an American citizen to avoid taking part in any activity with that person. At the same time if that person was in dire need of, for example, medical treatment or food it would be my duty as a Christian to do my best to provide it for them.
    Not relevant to my point.

'
    A demon is a super-natural entity thus is not a person, ma'am. I would presumably be powerless against a demon. I gather you do not believe in the super-natural. That's still your privilege in this life. No one can convince you otherwise. You would have to experience it personally and no one can force that experience on anyone. That is as far as I will get into that area of discussion.
    I do not believe in unicorns or pixies dancing around at midnight either. Your point?

'
    Edited to add: I assume your obvious prejudices concernin Christian[s and Christianity would be exempt from criticism??? :ahem
    No. I am opposed to any ideology [theological or otherwise] that demands total obedience and uses coercive tactics to enforce its beliefs.
    "It ain't necessarily so
    The things that you're liable
    To read in the Bible
    It ain't necessarily so
    ."

Sportin' Life
    Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

• Originally posted by Trucker View Post
      Exactly ... and thank you.
      The thread is drifting everywhere, but the topic: Interpretation the Trinity is polytheistic

The reality is the dominant belief in Traditional Christianity is polytheistic.

Comment

• Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
        Yet to be demonstrated or argued for in any convincing manner.

Comment

The thread is drifting everywhere, but the topic: Interpretation the Trinity is polytheistic

They won't have it. That the early Christian church had to go to Neoplatonism to find anything that could be interpreted to support a Triune deity with one Godhead of the same substance but three distinct persons, really says it all!
          "It ain't necessarily so
          To read in the Bible
          It ain't necessarily so
          ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

• Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
            They won't have it. That the early Christian church had to go to Neoplatonism to find anything that could be interpreted to support a Triune deity with one Godhead of the same substance but three distinct persons, really says it all!
            I know this is your pet theory, but as Hurtado has shown, the data really doesn't really support that conclusion.

Comment

Except that they believe their polytheism to be monotheistic.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
                I know this is your pet theory, but as Hurtado has shown, the data really doesn't really support that conclusion.
                Personal comments aside, I would point out that Hurtado is merely one among many and his views are neither definitive nor absolute.

Perhaps a little wider reading on the history of the early Christian church from the fourth century, in particular the Cappadocian Fathers as well as the ideas of the Neoplatonist, Plotinus, might be useful.
                "It ain't necessarily so
                To read in the Bible
                It ain't necessarily so
                ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Personal comments aside, I would point out that Hurtado is merely one among many and his views are neither definitive nor absolute.

Perhaps a little wider reading on the history of the early Christian church from the fourth century, in particular the Cappadocian Fathers as well as the ideas of the Neoplatonist, Plotinus, might be useful.
                  It follows that your own views are also neither definitive nor absolute.
                  Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

Shuny, that is what this is all about. In order to establish the doctrine of the Trinity, we have to decide the reliability of Scripture. Orthodox Christianity did not suddenly develop the canon - the people pretty much established the Four Gospels as authentic and authoritative from the start, and it is from those four narratives we derive the Triune nature of God. And the Acts showed more of this Triune nature in action especially of the Holy Spirit. We are following the evidence of the Scripture.

Of course not everybody believes the authority of Scripture. And not everybody who say they believe Scripture follows it. Even Moses said the people of God would fail to follow the Law. Peter, Paul, and James brother of Jesus said no one could follow the Law. Jesus said not one jot or tittle would pass from the Law or the prophets - and declared HE had come to complete the Law. He warned that anyone whoever breaks even the least of those commandments and teaches others to do the same would be called least in the kingdom of heaven.

The Trinity doctrine is not polytheism. It is our description of the ONE TRUE God based on the evidence of Scripture. The same writings a lot of you are busy trying to tear down.

Comment

• Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
                      It follows that your own views are also neither definitive nor absolute.
                      As I believe I wrote to you previously. All we have are the texts as they have come down to us. Everything else concerning those texts is interpretation.

However, with regard to the periods being examined there is known historical evidence on certain matters.
                      "It ain't necessarily so
                      To read in the Bible
                      It ain't necessarily so
                      ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

The Trinity doctrine is not polytheism. It is our description of the ONE TRUE God based on the evidence of Scripture.
                        There is nothing in Scripture to support that belief. It was a much later Christian theological construct.
                        "It ain't necessarily so
                        To read in the Bible
                        It ain't necessarily so
                        ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

As I believe I wrote to you previously. All we have are the texts as they have come down to us. Everything else concerning those texts is interpretation.

However, with regard to the periods being examined there is known historical evidence on certain matters.
                          I'm sorry, that still boils down to saying there is no absolute or definitive answers.

Comment

I'm sorry, that still boils down to saying there is no absolute or definitive answers.
                            With regard to the Christian texts, of course there isn't. We have no original MSS and rely on copies of copies of copies. Nor are any of the narrative details within these texts confirmed by other extraneous contemporary sources.
                            "It ain't necessarily so
                            To read in the Bible
                            It ain't necessarily so
                            ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

That, sir , unfortunately is YOUR ERRONIOUS interpretation.

Comment

There is nothing in Scripture to support that belief. It was a much later Christian theological construct.
                                You just made an absolute statement.

Comment