Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Interpretation the Trinity is polytheistic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
    Cresswell’s work is well researched and very interesting. He has also written for the Journal of Greco-Roman Christianity and Judaism, published by McMaster Divinity College. Nor is he the only academic working in this area.

If you are all trying to insinuate that this is an unreliable work then I recommend you read it for yourselves and then decide. You may not agree with his conclusions or theories but that is another matter.
    I'm trying to insinuate that based on the credentials of Cresswell, the sensationalist claims of the blurb/summary on amazon and the information found on the website about the book, anyone who was interested in the field of textual criticism and scribal corruption would be far better served to read books by actual experts in the field, or as you refer to them those other "academic [scholars] working in this area" . If someone was interested in reading about a field of study the last thing I would do is recommend a book written by someone without the proper education and training in said field.

If someone wanted to read Cresswell's book they would probably benefit from reading about/studying textual criticism from actual experts in the field beforehand, so that they would be more equipped to accurately judge the arguments and conclusions that he brings to the table.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
      As far as I can tell it seems to have gone by largely unnoticed by scholars in the field of textual criticism in general. They do not seem to have interacted very much, if at all, with Cresswell. I'm trying to come up with a reason why someone should even consider buying this book, but I'm not really coming up with any reasons that would be good enough. If someone wanted a to read a book about textual criticism that tried to argue for significant and impactful scribal corruption (intentional and accidental) one would be far better served reading something from Ehrman, because even if he tends to overstate his case on occasion, at least he's an expert in the field.
      You can hear some of Cresswell's thoughts here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRv0jgkZ8GE

A real textual Anayslist would make mincemeat of this guy, which is probably why he hasn't debated one.

Comment

Why?
        Isn't it obvious?

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

I do not "believe they are true". Unlike yourself mine is not a matter of faith. However, I hold that the various academic works I have cited in recent days make valid points.
        I was an atheist for a very long time. I studied Christianity from an academic approach, starting with "is there a God".

I read every attack against Christianity that I could find.

Comment

I would call it an incarnation. How a first century Galilean Jew (ascetic or not) would regard it
          That is what the flesh and blood man behind the Jesus of the four canonical gospels was.

Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
          would depend partly on whether they responded positively or negatively to the words of Jesus, and partly on how exactly they understood those words.
          I suspect the words of Jesus, the man of God, warning of the End Times and exhorting his fellow Jews to repent, sell all they had, give the proceeds to the poor, and then follow him, would indeed have had some effect. All the rest is another matter.

My "bungling" was based on a reasonable inference that you were speaking mainly about religious beliefs because that's what the context of your posts so far was suggesting.
          Yet not precisely in what I wrote at that point.

True, and it cuts both ways (and I'm not saying you're claiming otherwise Secular/non-believing NT scolars are no less likely to be biased in their conclusions than their religious peers.
          There are some very polemical works available, I would not dispute that.

However, many NT scholars [at least those I have read] even if they hold religious beliefs [and that includes Judaism] wear those beliefs lightly and do not [generally] allow their personal beliefs to affect their academic comments.
          "It ain't necessarily so
          The things that you're liable
          To read in the Bible
          It ain't necessarily so
          ."

Sportin' Life
          Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

• Originally posted by Christian3 View Post
            You can hear some of Cresswell's thoughts here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRv0jgkZ8GE

A real textual Anayslist would make mincemeat of this guy, which is probably why he hasn't debated one.
            I'm 3 minutes and 22 seconds in and I already want to bang my head on my desk in frustration.

Comment

Isn't it obvious?
              If it was so, I would not have asked the question. What is so special about Wallace and why do you expect Cresswell to have debated with him?

Originally posted by Christian3 View Post
              I was an atheist for a very long time. I studied Christianity from an academic approach, starting with "is there a God".

I read every attack against Christianity that I could find.
              Important to you though your personal history undoubtedly is, I fail to see its significance here.
              "It ain't necessarily so
              To read in the Bible
              It ain't necessarily so
              ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

I can't find any Internet debates between Peter Cresswell and tectual analysts. Do you?
                http://www.theinventionofjesus.com/about-the-book/
                . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

I'm 3 minutes and 22 seconds in and I already want to bang my head on my desk in frustration.
                  He's right on the earliest version of Mark 16. It does cut - for whatever reason - and makes no mention of a resurrection. The writer uses ἠγέρθη not αναστήθηκε.
                  "It ain't necessarily so
                  To read in the Bible
                  It ain't necessarily so
                  ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

I'm trying to insinuate that based on the credentials of Cresswell, the sensationalist claims of the blurb/summary on amazon and the information found on the website about the book, anyone who was interested in the field of textual criticism and scribal corruption would be far better served to read books by actual experts in the field, or as you refer to them those other "academic [scholars] working in this area" . If someone was interested in reading about a field of study the last thing I would do is recommend a book written by someone without the proper education and training in said field.
                    I am not pushing Cresswell as the definitive work in this area but he does make some very interesting observations.

If someone wanted to read Cresswell's book they would probably benefit from reading about/studying textual criticism from actual experts in the field beforehand, so that they would be more equipped to accurately judge the arguments and conclusions that he brings to the table.
                    I entirely agree. Anyone with an interest in NT studies and paleography should read various authors and cross reference.

Nor is it prudent to repeatedly quote from the same author, as if theirs is the only opinion worthy of consideration.
                    "It ain't necessarily so
                    To read in the Bible
                    It ain't necessarily so
                    ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

He's right on the earliest version of Mark 16. It does cut - for whatever reason - and makes no mention of a resurrection. The writer uses ἠγέρθη not αναστήθηκε.
                      My frustration was not about the ending of Mark 16 (and even in it's shorter form it still heavily implies a resurrection), but about his spurious claim that it was the pagan converts who introduced the concept of Jesus dying and resurrecting rather than Jesus' own disciples. As far as we know the belief in and preaching of Jesus' resurrection arose among Jesus' earliest Jewish disciples. Most scholars, though they do not necessarily believe the disciples were correct in their assumption, do believe that the disciples had experiences that led them to believe that Jesus had risen from the dead.

Comment

I didn't go through the entire thing but it seems to be the same theme as his article in the Journal.

You go ahead and bang your head..I'll settle for crying.
                        Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

Yeah, we can almost feel sorry for the guy.

Comment

• Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
                            I didn't go through the entire thing but it seems to be the same theme as his article in the Journal.

You go ahead and bang your head..I'll settle for crying.
                            It can bring tears to the eyes.

Comment

It can bring tears to the eyes.
                              Oohhh, be nice.
                              Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

If it was so, I would not have asked the question. What is so special about Wallace and why do you expect Cresswell to have debated with him?
                                Because if he thought his analysis is true, he would want to prove it by debates.

Wallace if a real tectual critic.

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

Important to you though your personal history undoubtedly is, I fail to see its significance here.
                                I did my homework.

Comment