Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

House Passes Bill Allowing 9/11 Lawsuits Against Saudi Arabia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• House Passes Bill Allowing 9/11 Lawsuits Against Saudi Arabia

House Passes Bill Allowing 9/11 Lawsuits Against Saudi Arabia; White House Hints at Veto

WASHINGTON — The House on Friday approved a bill to allow families of those killed in the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks to sue Saudi Arabia for any role in the terrorist plot, setting up a rare bipartisan showdown with the White House.

The measure was never debated on the House or Senate floors. It reflects a growing desire to re-examine Washington’s alliance with the kingdom, which for decades has been a cornerstone of American foreign policy in the Middle East. Other measures, like a bipartisan one that would seek to block the sale of some tanks to the kingdom, are also on the horizon.

But President Obama says he is strongly opposed to the measure and the White House has signaled that he would veto it.

Lawmakers felt intense pressure from families of the victims of the attacks, who wanted the legislation passed before the 15th anniversary of 9/11 on Sunday. That may account for the bill jumping from a committee room to an expedited vote on the House floor.

“The families have been asking for this for over a decade,” said Terry Strada, whose husband, Thomas S. Strada, was killed in the attack on the World Trade Center towers. She has long lobbied Congress on the issue. “We don’t feel this is fast-track in any way shape or form,” she said.

Mr. Obama has voiced opposition to the effort for months, fearing that it could expose the United States to lawsuits by people in other countries. A White House official said this week that the administration’s position has not changed even after some changes were made to the bill to mollify critics.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Hm, what a way to pick a fight. Saudi Arabia has serious financial issues at home from what I've read in the past.
    Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

I'm all for re-examining alliances, but this is one of the dumber bills I've heard.
      I'm not here anymore.

Comment

I put this here without comment, cause I'm still trying to understand the history.... kinda looks like "we're patriotic, and if Obama vetoes this, he's not".

I really don't know yet.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Any possible 9/11 involvement is really just the icing on the cake for the issues involving this country. Their record on human rights and women's rights in general is, to put it kindly, bad. There are also rumors of high-up figures in the Saudi government being involved in sex trafficking.

So basically, the US already sold its soul to cozy up with this country.
          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
            Any possible 9/11 involvement is really just the icing on the cake for the issues involving this country. Their record on human rights and women's rights in general is, to put it kindly, bad. There are also rumors of high-up figures in the Saudi government being involved in sex trafficking.

So basically, the US already sold its soul to cozy up with this country.
            yeah....that too.
            Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

What KG said.
              A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
              George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Senators voted 97-1 to override Obama’s veto. The lone “no” vote was Senate Minority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.).

nypost.com/2016/09/28/senate-votes-to-allow-911-families-to-sue-saudis-overriding-obama-veto/

Looks like Senate Dems don't care about Obama no more. Sad!
                Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Comment

Originally posted by demi-conservative View Post

Looks like Senate Dems don't care about Obama no more. Sad!
                  That's pure awesomeness. Now, not only will Obama have the Saudi Arabia 911 appeasement weight on his shoulders to bear before the public, but that his efforts were all for naught. Now let's see if the Saudis have the gonads to dump our treasuries like they threatened.

Comment

How exactly does a bill in the United States open up the possibility to suing another country? How does that work? Wouldn't any lawsuit require legal standing from both countries?

Comment

Originally posted by Terraceth View Post
                      How exactly does a bill in the United States open up the possibility to suing another country? How does that work? Wouldn't any lawsuit require legal standing from both countries?
                      I guess it would depend on whether any assets they had in this country could be seized. Personally I think all of this opens up a huge can of worms.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

All I've gathered is that it's obviously possible, but I haven't been able to find specifics in how it actually works. But the bill would have been irrelevant if it weren't possible, immunity against this action would have been irrelevant, and there would be no debate about the ramifications of setting a precedence with other countries suing the US for the same global atrocities if it weren't somehow possible.

Comment

Originally posted by Terraceth View Post
                          That's what I'd like to know. I think it's symbolic at best.
                          I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
                            All I've gathered is that it's obviously possible, but I haven't been able to find specifics in how it actually works.
                            Pretty sure you can't get to "obviously possible" if you can't even find out how it works.

Originally posted by seanD View Post
                            But the bill would have been irrelevant if it weren't possible, immunity against this action would have been irrelevant, and there would be no debate about the ramifications of setting a precedence with other countries suing the US for the same global atrocities if it weren't somehow possible.
                            None of which is true. Too much of politics is posturing for it to be irrelevant even if it's not actually possible.
                            I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
                              Pretty sure you can't get to "obviously possible" if you can't even find out how it works.

None of which is true. Too much of politics is posturing for it to be irrelevant even if it's not actually possible.
                              I don't know how anything involving litigation works, domestically or internationally, since the subject not only bores me to death, but I've never been personally involved in the process, thus I have absolutely no experience or knowledge how the process works, but that doesn't mean litigation is not possible. That's basically your retarded argument. I know it's logically possible for the points made in the previous post.

Comment