Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

House Passes Bill Allowing 9/11 Lawsuits Against Saudi Arabia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by seanD View Post
    I don't know how anything involving litigation works, domestically or internationally, since the subject not only bores me to death, but I've never been personally involved in the process, thus I have absolutely no experience or knowledge how the process works, but that doesn't mean litigation is not possible. That's basically your retarded argument. I know it's logically possible for the points made in the previous post.
    So you admit to knowing nothing about it but claim it's obviously possible? And you think I have a retarded argument? Your points establish the reasoning behind your belief. They don't establish 'logically possible'. 'Logically possible' has a meaning, and that ain't it.
    I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
      So you admit to knowing nothing about it but claim it's obviously possible? And you think I have a retarded argument? Your points establish the reasoning behind your belief. They don't establish 'logically possible'. 'Logically possible' has a meaning, and that ain't it.
      If you want to believe that international litigation is completely ineffectual and that everything I said in post #12 is merely symbolic posturing, knock yourself out. You've made your retarded point clear more than once. I get it already. That doesn't explain to me personally why there was immunity against this action, why Obama expressed deep concerns about it and warned of a precedence it will set with other countries, why he risked his reputation to veto it, and why there was even a bill about it in the first place. All that is just political posturing lol? Okay, bro, go for it.

Comment

Too much of politics is posturing for it to be irrelevant even if it's not actually possible.
        Well from lobbying efforts we can see very very clearly Saudis think it's irrelevant!!
        Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Comment

What was preventing them from suing the Saudi government before?

IIRC some-one in the USA successfully sued the USSR government over unpaid invoices, resulting in them being able to seize an Aeroflot plane.
          Last edited by Roy; 09-29-2016, 07:02 AM.
          Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
          MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

If you want to believe that international litigation is completely ineffectual and that everything I said in post #12 is merely symbolic posturing, knock yourself out. You've made your retarded point clear more than once. I get it already. That doesn't explain to me personally why there was immunity against this action, why Obama expressed deep concerns about it and warned of a precedence it will set with other countries, why he risked his reputation to veto it, and why there was even a bill about it in the first place. All that is just political posturing lol? Okay, bro, go for it.
            That's...not at all what I said. You've claimed it's obviously possible while admitting to knowing nothing about it. I'm pointing out that it doesn't work that way.
            I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by demi-conservative View Post
              Well from lobbying efforts we can see very very clearly Saudis think it's irrelevant!!
              Um, I'm saying it's not irrelevant even if it's not actually possible. You're kinda proving my point here.
              I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
                What was preventing them from suing the Saudi government before?

IIRC some-one in the USA successfully sued the USSR government over unpaid invoices, resulting in them being able to seize an Aeroflot plane.

That's how I imagine it would be, especially if the country is an ally and thus has a lot assets interconnected with the US.

Comment

I'm against Obama on this one. Sue the crap out of the Saudis. They support radical Islam all over the world, and they're one of the most oppressive countries in existence.
                  Blog: Atheism and the City

If your whole worldview rests on a particular claim being true, you damn well better have evidence for it. You should have tons of evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by The Thinker View Post
                    I'm against Obama on this one. Sue the crap out of the Saudis. They support radical Islam all over the world, and they're one of the most oppressive countries in existence.
                    They don't just sponsor terrorism, they are the terrorists. The only distinguishable factor between them and the caricature terrorists we're brainwashed to fear and dread is that they're the upper class terrorists, and thus their actions are a whole lot more covert. Plus they get western media and neoconservative cover. Yet they're just as violent, bloodthirsty, radical, prejudice, and religiously fundamental as the lower class terrorist boogieman we're trained to fear. You'd think that our fear and hatred would be directed towards them the most since they're obviously a much bigger threat to democracy and our safety due to their wealth and power, but of course, the invested corporate interests in their assets create the necessary double standard.

Comment

Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
                      Hm, what a way to pick a fight. Saudi Arabia has serious financial issues at home from what I've read in the past.
                      When your whole economy is pretty much based on one commodity, that tends to happen when that commodity isn't performing well. Once their oil's gone, what will they have left beyond hajj-based tourism?
                      Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                      sigpic
                      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

They don't just sponsor terrorism, they are the terrorists. The only distinguishable factor between them and the caricature terrorists we're brainwashed to fear and dread is that they're the upper class terrorists, and thus their actions are a whole lot more covert. Plus they get western media and neoconservative cover. Yet they're just as violent, bloodthirsty, radical, prejudice, and religiously fundamental as the lower class terrorist boogieman we're trained to fear. You'd think that our fear and hatred would be directed towards them the most since they're obviously a much bigger threat to democracy and our safety due to their wealth and power, but of course, the invested corporate interests in their assets create the necessary double standard.
                        I totally agree. They're just the terrorists who've made deals with our politicians, so our politicians ignore their threat.
                        Blog: Atheism and the City

If your whole worldview rests on a particular claim being true, you damn well better have evidence for it. You should have tons of evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by The Thinker View Post
                          Your gal Hillary sure gets a lot of money from them all the while preaching about a need for human rights, especially the rights of women.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Um, I'm saying it's not irrelevant even if it's not actually possible.
                            Your weird English was hard to follow!

You're kinda proving my point here.
                            Is fine with me.
                            Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Comment

First victim engages in political posturing...

On Friday, September 30, a woman widowed when her husband was killed at the Pentagon on Sept. 11, 2001 became the first American to sue the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia in Washington DC District Court, just two days after Congress slammed Obama for siding with Saudi Arabia, overriding his presidential veto only for the first time in his administration, and enacting legislation allowing Americans to sue foreign governments for allegedly playing a role in terrorist attacks on U.S. soil.

Stephanie Ross DeSimone alleged the kingdom provided material support to al-Qaeda and its leader, Osama bin Laden. Her suit is also filed on behalf of the couple’s daughter. DeSimone was two months pregnant when her husband, Navy Commander Patrick Dunn was killed.

She is suing for wrongful death and intentional infliction of emotional distress, and is seeking unspecified compensatory and punitive damages.

In the lawsuit she alleges that "at all material times, Saudi Arabia, through its officials, officers, agents and employees, provided material support and resources to Osama bin Laden (“bin Laden”) and Al Qaeda. The support provided by Saudi Arabia to bin Laden and Al Qaeda assisted in or contributed to the preparation and execution of the September 11th attacks and the extrajudicial killing of Patrick Dunn."

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-1...r-full-lawsuit

Comment