Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Modesty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Modesty

I know this concept has been talked about before, and there are probably threads with this exact title on here. This is just a thought I had recently.

I'll give an example of what I mean: my church is relatively casual. If you show up in jeans and a collared shirt of some kind (polo shirts would be fine), you'll fit right in. A lot of people wear t-shirts. Khakis aren't out of the ordinary, but neither are shorts. I typically just wear a neat pair of jeans and a long-sleeved, collared shirt.

I know how to dress up too, though: I have a nice suit or two, and I know how to tie a tie. I can look sharp if I want to, and occasionally I've gone to church dressed up really nice just because.

But I'm wondering if that fits with the concept of modesty. Modesty isn't just dressing with enough clothing on (though it is that, no doubt), but it would seem to include dressing so as not to draw attention to yourself. In other words, I'm thinking that it might be more "modest" for me to wear a simple pair of neat jeans and collared shirt to church, rather than a full suit and tie, because the latter will draw undue attention to myself. The former will make me more or less invisible, which would seem to be preferable, and more in line with biblical modesty. More appropriate for the context.

I know that there's a crowd that believes that anything less than "dressing our best" for God is disrespectful (being a graduate of PCC, I'm well-acquainted with this), but I'm not sure what to think of that anymore. "Dressing my best" would draw attention to myself in my circles, and that doesn't seem appropriate to me. I would stand out, and I shouldn't want to stand out. (Not in this context, anyway.)

Thoughts?
    I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

It's societal.

I remember when people "dressed up" to board an airplane. Now you see people coming on in shorts, sandals, t-shirts....
    We're no longer a "dressy" nation.

I remember when people first started wearing shorts to Wednesday nights, cause I guess that's "less holy" than Sunday Mornings. Next thing you know, shorts on Sunday Morning, too.

As my focus has gravitated toward reaching the unchurched or dischurched, I'm much less concerned about what people wear, than that they're here hearing the Gospel.

In business, the 'rule' has been that leadership dresses 'one level above the attendees'. If you wear a tux and everybody attending is wearing jeans and t's, it makes for a pretty incongruous scene.

I've noticed more and more pastors doing the "jeans and t" thing to preach... or... "share".
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

So here's a follow-up question.

I don't consider myself dressing immodestly when I wear my typical "church garb," which is similar to what I wear to the office every day. But on those few occasions where I've put on a full (and nice) suit, is that immodest of me? I'm not really accomplishing anything in wearing that except for drawing attention to myself. If that's the case, would it be immodest for me to wear a nice suit on special occasions instead, such as Christmas, Easter, etc.?

I'm wondering if there might have been an element of pride in my motivation for dressing up on some of those past occasions. Certainly if that's the case, it was done wrongly.

Comment

We have a number of, mostly older, men who wear suits to Church. There never seems to be an issue - that's just "them". I always wear a suit on Sunday Morning, and I ask my Deacons to wear a jacket and tie when serving Communion, but....

no, I think you should be able to wear what you want, as long as it's not an obvious distraction, and not really "you".

We have some of our ladies who wouldn't be caught dead wearing 'pants' (as opposed to a dress or skirt) to Church, and others come in their jeans or pant suits. It never seems to be an issue, either.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Perhaps the issue is not with the clothing wearer, but the with one who would question why another would wear what they do.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
            Perhaps the issue is not with the clothing wearer, but the with one who would question why another would wear what they do.
            And I really think a lot of that comes from the pulpit. I have always stressed, "when the Holy Spirit is at work, He'll bring people to Church who haven't grown up here, and they won't necessarily be dressed like you, or speak like you, or smell like you....." (Remember my Biker Dude story? )

How we react to these people says more about us than it does about them.

Now, I happen to know that Pastor Jack Frost of the First Baptist Church of the Deep Freeze is rather insistent that everybody dress to the nines.....

(ok, I made that last part up)

Comment

On a side note -- it's not all that unusual for me to speak at, or visit in, African American Churches.... talk about "dressing to the nines"!!!! They take the "wear the best clothes you have to Church" thing quite seriously.

Comment

So what about the opposite extreme? Being overdressed for church?
                sigpic

Comment

some people dress to impress other people. others dress up out of respect for being in the house of the Lord. Others just wear what they have.

Comment

I don't overly concern myself with what other people wear to church.

I suppose I posted this thread because, being an adult and father and whatnot, I'm way more of a self-centered scumbag than I ever realized. I was wondering if this was another example of that.

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
                      I don't overly concern myself with what other people wear to church.

I suppose I posted this thread because, being an adult and father and whatnot, I'm way more of a self-centered scumbag than I ever realized. I was wondering if this was another example of that.
                      Just remember what Momma used to tell us (I think she read it somewhere) - that man looks on the outward appearance, and God looks at our hearts.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                        Just remember what Momma used to tell us (I think she read it somewhere) - that man looks on the outward appearance, and God looks at our hearts.
                        Isn't that from the Bible? When God told Samuel that the older sons of Jesse weren't the chosen one?
                        If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Originally posted by TheWall View Post
                          So what about the opposite extreme? Being overdressed for church?
                          My husband has always worn a suit and tie to church. That is just him. I will never forget the woman at one church who tapped him on the shoulder one day and whispered in his ear, "It's too bad you have to always dress up for church." And then she looked at me like it was my fault.

She thought he was overdressed, he just always dressed like that. I always thought her husband was a little underdressed, at least when he took part in offering communion in his shorts and t-shirt and sandals. But I never said so to anyone.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

The only thing that ever bothered me was when some girls (usually teenagers) wore clothes that were obviously too skimpy for church. Like halter tops and such.

Comment

Wouldn't our usual clothing be too skimpy for the Victorian era? :shock: Ankles!
                              If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment