Announcement

Collapse

Health Science 101 Guidelines

Greetings! Welcome to Health Science.

Here's where we talk about the latest fad diets, the advantages of vegetarianism, the joy of exercise and good health. Like everywhere else at Tweb our decorum rules apply.

This is a place to exchange ideas and network with other health conscience folks, this isn't a forum for heated debate.
See more
See less

Paleo diet - Bad News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    I think that is the main reason. That way you are with the latest fashion when it comes to eating.

give me steak and potatoes.
    Exactly.
    The last Christian left at tweb

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
      You will have to document your statement about brown rice being toxic???, because I have no references where this is so.
      https://www.google.ca/#q=brown+rice+toxic

Primal humans of Africa did not have potatoes, white rice, sugar, or corn and they were not lacking of energy for their intensive life style of hunting and foraging for food. They did had have the tubers, whole wild grains, and meat and fish from the rivers, lakes and oceans.
      Humans can run on fat instead of carbs (though I can't say if that's what Africans did), though it's not as effective for short, intense bursts of activity. And human beings are actually very resistant to starvation. We can go for weeks without food and barely a drop in efficiency. There was a video I saw a while back of modern african hunters. They caught prey by chasing it until it dropped of exhaustion.

The question here is what in reality was the Paleo-Diet.
      I find the justification for the Paleo-Diet spacious to begin with. Human evolution didn't stop 15 thousand years ago. Just because our ancestors ate X thousands of years ago doesn't mean X is still best for us now. Just look at what cheap American carbs did to Mexico.

the problem of Diabetes is not only the disease itself, but the prevalence of disease within a population as well as obesity. The higher in white carbs the higher in Diabetes and obesity is universal.
      Well, high Diabetes rates is a result of high obesity rates, which is a result of gorging on thousands of calories' worth of carbs. But that's probably because people consume too many carbs instead of adding more light carbs (like vegetables) or fat (which is not bad for you if you stay away from processed fats or most vegetable oils).

I went on the Keto diet a while back (high fat, low carbs) and I had to force myself to eat more than a thousand calories a day.

When Chinese diets changed in the 1980s and 1990s the Diabetes and obesity increased to equivalent to the USA. Before it was less than 1% of the population. The change was in the higher consumption of white carbs and meat. When I moved there in 1999 there were about 6 fast food restaurants like MacDonald's, now there are tens of thousands.
      China has one of the lowest obesity rates in the world. It's down there with starving Africans/South Asians.
      https://www.cia.gov/library/publicat.../2228rank.html
      I wouldn't be surprised if Asian rice-rich diets made them better able to handle the carbpocalypse.
      Last edited by Darth Executor; 01-20-2014, 03:03 PM.
      "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

My diet is food. It has gotten me through 72 years and I am still kicking. For me basic diet is meat, vegetables and bread. I don't follow any fad diets, though I am on high protein and moderate carbs.
        Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

I found the reference to brown rice having a potential toxicity for Arsenic. I am going to research this more. One reference I did check showed a slightly higher levels in people who eat a lot of brown rice, bit was still low. More to follow.

go with the flow the river knows. . . .

Frank
          Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
          Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
          But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor;1966 China has one of the lowest obesity rates in the world. It's down there with starving Africans/South Asians.
            [url
            https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/rankorder/2228rank.html[/url]
            I wouldn't be surprised if Asian rice-rich diets made them better able to handle the carbpocalypse.
            The problem is actually Childhood obesity in China. Sorry I did not make this clear

[cite = http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1079476/] China used to be known for her slender people; I never saw a fat person in China until very recently.2 Now China is fighting obesity, especially childhood obesity, just like the rest of the world. According to the latest statistics from China, the proportion of obesity among children under the age of 15 increased from 15% in 1982 to 27% today.3 Among the predisposing factors for increasing prevalence of childhood obesity in China, fast food and physical inactivity are the two most important. Because of the efficient advertisements of such fast food giants in the United States as McDonald's and Kentucky Fried Chicken, Chinese children are devouring the American fast food faster than ever.2,4 All of the children in China recognize the image of Ronald McDonald, even though they might not be able to read English. [/cite]

~27% is roughly equivalent to the USA.

Frank
            But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Comment

That sounds like the best take on it, shunya. All in all, diets are good as a proxy for shared social interests or participation in the latest fads, but if you actually need to get healthy, exercise is the first individual priority for beating the flabbening effects of over-civilization. (Your relative skill and strength level may require you to exercise alone, but never diet alone, if only for the fact that shared misery is the only defensible type.)

Comment

Originally posted by Epoetker View Post
                but if you actually need to get healthy, exercise is the first individual priority for beating the flabbening effects of over-civilization.
                Unless you plan on pursuing a physical activity seriously, exercise will do little for you. A half hour of walking a day is probably enough for most people. Diet is and should be the first priority. There are only so many calories you can burn.
                "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                  https://www.google.ca/#q=brown+rice+toxic

I went on the Keto diet a while back (high fat, low carbs) and I had to force myself to eat more than a thousand calories a day.

One reason for that is because of what a "keto" diet can do. If its not balanced, it over produces ketones, which are a sign of starvation and muscle wasting. It overloads the kidneys and causes early signs of renal failure. Modified forms are used in patients with epilepsy but they are NOT reccommended for the general public as they are carefully monitored by a team of physicians and dieticians.
                  A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
                  George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by Truthseeker View Post
                    Low carb diets are good. Some kinds of fat are healthy; more calories should be from fats than carbs. Also need plenty of protein.
                    I should have linked to the Mayo Clinic website http://www.mayoclinic.org/mediterran...t/art-20047801
                    The greater number of laws . . . , the more thieves . . . there will be. ---- Lao-Tzu

[T]he truth I’m after and the truth never harmed anyone. What harms us is to persist in self-deceit and ignorance -— Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Comment

Originally posted by Truthseeker View Post
                      I should have linked to the Mayo Clinic website http://www.mayoclinic.org/mediterran...t/art-20047801
                      Over time this has been the basic model of my diet. Except eliminating sugar. Notice a lack of potatoes and corn in the Mediterranean Diet.

Frank

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                        First the Paleo Diet is not true diet of humans and our immediate ancestors of Africa. I will provide some references, but the short version is: From analyzing bone and teeth of our ancestors , roughly their diet was mostly meat, including fish, and wild whole grains of the African Savannah,. Foraged (10 - 20%) wild fruit, tubers, and insects made up the balance. Days without meat were common, therefore a periodic fasting was a part of their life style. Our relatives the Neanderthals did have a diet of 80 to 90% Big game meat. More later on Paleo Diet.
                        I recently had my bones and teeth analyzed and they were able to find the sugar frosted flakes I ate when I was younger. My teeth showed that I had consumed wild berries from the pacific northwest somewhere, but they were unable to pin point exactly where. Apparently I had some big game meat as well, but not from Africa.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...
                        X