Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Walmart Solving One of my Pet Peeves?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
    What's with Lutherans sharing buildings? One of our local Lutheran churches shares a building with the local UFO club.

In our case, it's a bunch of conservative people who left the Lutheran Church that has become so liberal - these people are much more conservative, and were meeting at a local fairgrounds. Perhaps the local UFO club was too far a drive.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Melmak is the planet Alf is from. Just thought you should know that. I don't know why I know that, but I do.
      Yes. It's also shorthand for TheMelodyMaker, which takes far too long to type.

AND, it's also an old type of resin stuff dishes..........we actually still have some, but it's spelled a little differently. Can't seem to break the darn stuff.

https://hobbylark.com/collecting/Col...re-Vintage-Fun

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Yeah, but she's not going to know Gordon...uh...I forget his last name... Everyone knows A(lien) L(ife) F(orm) though.
        I know ALF. We have a toy one here. And it's Gordon Shumway.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
          Yes. It's also shorthand for TheMelodyMaker, which takes far too long to type.

AND, it's also an old type of resin stuff dishes..........we actually still have some, but it's spelled a little differently. Can't seem to break the darn stuff.

https://hobbylark.com/collecting/Col...re-Vintage-Fun
          Huh. Looks like Bakelite.

Learned something new today.

Comment

Comment

One of the ALF toys is worth a lot of money IIRC. I had two toys that turned out to be worth a lot of money, but we no longer have them. Talking Teddy Ruxpin, and Talking Pee Wee Herman. The first one is worth around $3,000 in decent condition.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
                One of the ALF toys is worth a lot of money IIRC. I had two toys that turned out to be worth a lot of money, but we no longer have them. Talking Teddy Ruxpin, and Talking Pee Wee Herman. The first one is worth around $3,000 in decent condition.
                I will need to check and see what Alf is worth.
                Last edited by mossrose; 05-18-2022, 11:47 AM.

Comment

I love how a thread about Walmart shopping carts is now about ALF toys. Sometimes this forum can be pretty darn cool.

Comment

Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
                    However I do have an elderly friend who has a habit of stopping suddenly just feet inside a door. A few times she nearly got run over by people in the back.
                    It can be really annoying trying to get places on the DC Metro, between the people walking while gazing at their smartphones (who clearly have no idea that their walking speed drops by 50% when they do so) and the people who come to a dead stop as soon as they get through the train door (not to mention the people who try to jam in when the doors are closing).
                    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                    sigpic
                    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                      It can be really annoying trying to get places on the DC Metro, between the people walking while gazing at their smartphones (who clearly have no idea that their walking speed drops by 50% when they do so) and the people who come to a dead stop as soon as they get through the train door (not to mention the people who try to jam in when the doors are closing).
                      Back in the early part of the 20th century, when cars were becoming massively popular, pedestrian car accidents were through the roof. People were dying left and right cause they just didn't think to look before walking into the road. Didn't have to do it before cars, why start now?

If the death tolls didn't drop, major cities like NY were actually thinking of preventing cars from entering parts of the city. The car industry knew that this would badly affect business, and the cultural embrace of automobiles, so they worked with the media (newspapers) to get the word out that people who don't look where they're going are a bunch of "jaywalkers". A "jaywalker" was a sort of slur that indicated someone who was a bit of a bumpkin. A slack-jawed, rural type awwed by the tall buildings of the big city who aimlessly walked into the road while looking up and got themselves killed. The local coppers got into it as well. Jaywalking wasn't illegal, exactly, but the police were encouraged to sort of draw attention to the goofy "jaywalker" who wasn't paying attention to where he was going.

It worked. No one wanted to be thought of as a hilljack "jaywalker". Public shame alone massively dropped the numbers of pedestrians killed every year, and of course, NYC never prevented cars from driving down their roads.

...We need a new word for the zombies on their cellphones and who block entrances... Course, I'm not sure public shame really works anymore. Everyone is special now, and you wouldn't hear the end of it.
                      Last edited by Adrift; 09-14-2016, 04:52 PM.

Comment

Back in the early part of the 20th century, when cars were becoming massively popular, pedestrian car accidents were through the roof. People were dying left and right cause they just didn't think to look before walking into the road. Didn't have to do it before cars, why start now?

If the death tolls didn't drop, major cities like NY were actually thinking of preventing cars from entering parts of the city. The car industry knew that this would badly affect business, and the cultural embrace of automobiles, so they worked with the media (newspapers) to get the word out that people who don't look where they're going are a bunch of "jaywalkers". A "jaywalker" was a sort of slur that indicated someone who was a bit of a bumpkin. A slack-jawed, rural type awwed by the tall buildings of the big city who aimlessly walked into the road while looking up and got themselves killed. The local coppers got into it as well. Jaywalking wasn't illegal, exactly, but the police were encouraged to sort of draw attention to the goofy "jaywalker" who wasn't paying attention to where he was going.

It worked. No one wanted to be thought of as a hilljack "jaywalker". Public shame alone massively dropped the numbers of pedestrians killed every year, and of course, NYC never prevented cars from driving down their roads.

...We need a new word for the zombies on their cellphones and who block entrances... Course, I'm not sure public shame really works anymore. Everyone is special now, and you wouldn't hear the end of it.
                        I was just reading about the history of "jaywalking" a couple of weeks ago. It gave the impression that U.S. laws are much stricter than in most of the world.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment