Announcement

Collapse

Health Science 101 Guidelines

Greetings! Welcome to Health Science.

Here's where we talk about the latest fad diets, the advantages of vegetarianism, the joy of exercise and good health. Like everywhere else at Tweb our decorum rules apply.

This is a place to exchange ideas and network with other health conscience folks, this isn't a forum for heated debate.
See more
See less

Sleeping with open window makes you sick?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
    Pretty much that's the way it is in Denmark. There's no law prohibiting someone from smoking heavily, even if the smoke drifts into his neighbors living spaces. That's their problem, not his. And even if there was a law like that I'm not sure I'd invoke it. I believe people have the freedom to smoke if that's what makes them happy.

Individual landlords can lay down whether or not smoking inside apartments is permitted. An increasing number prohibits it since it makes the apartment harder to sell afterwards, and its expensive to clean sufficiently if the smoker was a heavy smoker.

I had a neighborly chat with him, and he's agreed to open his windows while smoking. That's made it better, but the stench still builds up if I close mine. I'll talk to the janitor and see if I can't figure out how the smoke gets down to where I am, and whether we can't seal that connection somehow.
    Maybe you could buy your neighbor an air filtration unit as a gift (or get one for yourself)

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      not anywhere I have seen.
      Might be a California thing
      Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

I do not sleep with an open window once winter sets in.
        Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
          I do not sleep with an open window once winter sets in.
          which where you live, is in July.

Comment

Pretty much that's the way it is in Denmark. There's no law prohibiting someone from smoking heavily, even if the smoke drifts into his neighbors living spaces. That's their problem, not his. And even if there was a law like that I'm not sure I'd invoke it. I believe people have the freedom to smoke if that's what makes them happy.

Individual landlords can lay down whether or not smoking inside apartments is permitted. An increasing number prohibits it since it makes the apartment harder to sell afterwards, and its expensive to clean sufficiently if the smoker was a heavy smoker.

I had a neighborly chat with him, and he's agreed to open his windows while smoking. That's made it better, but the stench still builds up if I close mine. I'll talk to the janitor and see if I can't figure out how the smoke gets down to where I am, and whether we can't seal that connection somehow.

Sorry, I didn't realize you meant the connection.

Do you have central AC or heat? if so, that's how. Especially older buildings with a central furnace - they have to have common ducts.
            "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
              Do you have central AC or heat? if so, that's how. Especially older buildings with a central furnace - they have to have common ducts.
              Nope no AC (we generally don't have those in Denmark) and no central heating... if you mean warm air coming out of ducts? We have radiators. This building is a odd. For instance the there's a small fusebox in my bedroom, and I have a suspicion the smell is coming from there (I was poking my nose around) trying to track it down, now that I have more energy and can move around again.

Comment

My sinuses have been burning all the way through this flu, its starting to get really painful, which is odd because the fever is coming down. It feels as if I've snorted too much of something dry, like flour. Except the feeling isn't going away. Taking a combination of Ibuprofen and Paracetamol dampens it a bit, but its smarting somewhat.

Any good tips for dealing with that, and should I be concerned?

Comment

Have that fuse box checked pronto.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                    Have that fuse box checked pronto.
                    Yeah its not a short, that much is clear. But you make a point, I'll try to get hold of the janitor tomorrow.

Comment

Yeah its not a short, that much is clear. But you make a point, I'll try to get hold of the janitor tomorrow.
                      I would seriously consider having an electrician look at it.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                        I would seriously consider having an electrician look at it.
                        Yes, it can be sealed to keep out odors that might come through it.
                        Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Nope no AC (we generally don't have those in Denmark) and no central heating... if you mean warm air coming out of ducts? We have radiators. This building is a odd. For instance the there's a small fusebox in my bedroom, and I have a suspicion the smell is coming from there (I was poking my nose around) trying to track it down, now that I have more energy and can move around again.
                          I actually did know that central AC (maybe AC in general) is a relative rarity in Europe (cousins did some travelling there) but there are exceptions to every rule. In an old building, the space in between walls and conduits (don't forget switch plates) are a very likely possibility. Do they sell Great Stuff or the equivalent in Denmark? A little will solve any big leaks and cheap electrical box insulators might help as well.
                          "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

My sinuses have been burning all the way through this flu, its starting to get really painful, which is odd because the fever is coming down. It feels as if I've snorted too much of something dry, like flour. Except the feeling isn't going away. Taking a combination of Ibuprofen and Paracetamol dampens it a bit, but its smarting somewhat.

Any good tips for dealing with that, and should I be concerned?
                            Try saline or something to moisten your nasal passages - it sounds like they are really, really dry. Decongestants can do that as can a number of other meds.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Yesterday night I boiled some water in a pot, which I then carefully placed on my table. Then I breathed in the fumes from it, mostly through my nose. It helped a little, though I wish I had some eucalyptus oil to add to it.

I'm much better today, my throat is still itchy and dry, but its been clearing up too. Everything is on track. Thanks for the advice and prayer everyone.

Comment

Still get that fuse box checked.
                                Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X