Announcement

Collapse

Admissions Forum Guidelines

Welcome to the TheologyWeb Community. Here in the Admissions Dept. we welcome all the newcomers. This section is only for welcome posts to announce the arrival of a new resident. Be sure to be welcomed or introduce yourself if our welcome committee is slacking.

Forum Rules: here

Wow! You made it! Here you are in the Admissions and Orientation Department of Tweb! This is where the rubber first hits the road; where the pedal first hits the metal; where the nuts come out of the woodwork to make sure you feel at home here.

The Admissions area is only for welcome posts to announce the arrival of a new inmate resident, and we encourage you to leave here and head out into the great big wide world of Tweb as soon as you feel comfortable in your new username.

Be sure to reply to your welcome thread, or introduce yourself if our welcome committee is out to lunch or painting their living room.
See more
See less

Not religious; Want to understand those who are.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not religious; Want to understand those who are.

Hi Everyone,

I'm not religious and never have been. But I'm interested in knowing why people who are, believe the things that they do. I'm hoping to learn and am willing to help you all understand me as well.

You'll forgive me, Joe, if I don't take you very seriously, assuming the tweets of the same name belong to you.

Looks like you're a Christopher Hitchens fan, yes?
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

That user name also shows up as a contributor to a video on youtube with the name:
      SE and the SSA: Perfectly Positioned (to Make a Difference)

Comment

Are you suggesting that atheists might be dishonest?
        Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

why the suspicion? he says he is an atheist. he wants to discuss religion. that is what theologyweb is here for.

welcome to tweb!

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
            why the suspicion? he says he is an atheist. he wants to discuss religion. that is what theologyweb is here for.

welcome to tweb!
            I thought skepticism was a GOOD thing!

But, no, I don't think he's really "hoping to learn and am willing to help"...
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Aw... why not give the new kid the benefit of the doubt? If he proves otherwise...
              If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
                Aw... why not give the new kid the benefit of the doubt? If he proves otherwise...
                Feel free!

Comment

Hi.
                  sigpic

Comment

I'm sure the tweets you saw were, in fact, mine, though I don't recall which you saw or why they make you think I'm trying to be dishonest. I really do want to talk with believers so that I can understand them better.

Would anyone like to start a respectful dialogue?

Thank you to those who've voiced a desire to give me the benefit of the doubt.

Comment

Yes, I like Christopher Hitchens. I like various authors. I'm a huge fan of science

Comment

Originally posted by science4joe View Post
                        I'm sure the tweets you saw were, in fact, mine, though I don't recall which you saw or why they make you think I'm trying to be dishonest.
                        "Dishonest" is a harsh way of saying it.... I have my doubts about your sincerity, but time will tell.

I really do want to talk with believers so that I can understand them better.

Have a great day.

Comment

Yes, I like Christopher Hitchens. I like various authors. I'm a huge fan of science
                          I am a big fan of science as well. The only trouble is when science fans misuse what they often call science, but is really scientism.
                          Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

I'm sure the tweets you saw were, in fact, mine, though I don't recall which you saw or why they make you think I'm trying to be dishonest. I really do want to talk with believers so that I can understand them better.

You're not by any chance this guy, are you?

http://www.allanturner.com/ALetterFromJoe.html

Just asking.

Comment

Are you doing this right?
                              Step 1: Build rapport with your IL

Build rapport with your interlocutor before getting deep into dialogue. Try to find something that you have in common. Taking the time to do this cuts through much of our natural, instinctive, anxiety about immediately engaging with a stranger.

"I like Christopher Hitchens"? Hmmm. Probably not.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X