Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Black Officer Shoots African American - Riots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black Officer Shoots African American - Riots

Some say he was holding a book - others say a gun.

Black leaders call for economic boycott of the State, others riot in the streets.

Charlotte officials say they are preparing for more protests today following a night of violence over a police officer’s fatal shooting of an African-American man Tuesday in the University City area. The dead man was identified as Keith Lamont Scott, 43.

Sixteen police officers were injured overnight in a series of clashes, and there were reports early Wednesday of motorists on Interstate 85 being hurt and their vehicles damaged when protesters threw rocks, bottles and traffic cones off interstate overpasses onto traffic below.
    Keith Lamont Scott is shown at right in this photo from a GoFundMe.com page set up for his family. GoFundMe. com -

The officers hurt suffered mostly minor injuries, though one was hit in the face with a rock, officials said.

At a Wednesday news conference, city leaders appealed for calm and promised a thorough investigation.

Source
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

For the sarcastically impaired the following is said in jest

Nothing draws sympathy to one's cause like attacking wholly uninvolved people at random.

Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
    sigpic
    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

The black Chief of police said that Keith Scott did have a gun and refused to drop it. So they are probably rioting behind another false narrative. The Tulsa shooting is much more problematic.
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

For both the officer and the victim. And in no order - they are both people.
        "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Come soon Lord. This screwed up world needs you.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            Some say he was holding a book - others say a gun.

Black leaders call for economic boycott of the State, others riot in the streets.

Charlotte officials say they are preparing for more protests today following a night of violence over a police officer’s fatal shooting of an African-American man Tuesday in the University City area. The dead man was identified as Keith Lamont Scott, 43.

Sixteen police officers were injured overnight in a series of clashes, and there were reports early Wednesday of motorists on Interstate 85 being hurt and their vehicles damaged when protesters threw rocks, bottles and traffic cones off interstate overpasses onto traffic below.
            Keith Lamont Scott is shown at right in this photo from a GoFundMe.com page set up for his family. GoFundMe. com -

The officers hurt suffered mostly minor injuries, though one was hit in the face with a rock, officials said.

At a Wednesday news conference, city leaders appealed for calm and promised a thorough investigation.

Source
            your link is messed up. fixed: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/new...103009432.html

Comment

Originally posted by TheWall View Post
              Come soon Lord. This screwed up world needs you.
              Crying out to a non-existent deity is exactly what we don't need right now. We need people working together to rationally address this situation.
              Blog: Atheism and the City

If your whole worldview rests on a particular claim being true, you damn well better have evidence for it. You should have tons of evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                The black Chief of police said that Keith Scott did have a gun and refused to drop it. So they are probably rioting behind another false narrative. The Tulsa shooting is much more problematic.
                The police say they have a bodycam video showing Scott holding a gun but it isn't clear whether he ever pointed it toward the police

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I dont think its at all irrational to pray that things get better.
                  Honestly I think it is sad that these people are dying. However demonizing cops is not going to fix anything.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                    The police say they have a bodycam video showing Scott holding a gun but it isn't clear whether he ever pointed it toward the police
                    I don't see how it is relevant whether he pointed it or not - if he was told to drop it and he didn't then the shooting is justified. I mean how long does it take to raise the gun and fire?
                    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Seer has a point. Resesting arrest and not complying combined with an object that could be a gun it is reasonable to think your life is being threatened.
                      Does it make the deaths less tragic of course not.
                      sigpic

Comment

Getting out of a car to face police while holding a gun is pretty stupid. Why would you do that unless you meant to use it?

"oh hey, never mind this gun in my hand, I was just cleaning it and decided to keep it in my hand while getting out of the car for you guys"

derp.

no, you lay the gun down and tell the police, "There is a gun in the car with me. I laid it on the seat. I am getting out slowly and I am unarmed" and you get out with your hands up. No matter what color you are.

Comment

I don't see how it is relevant whether he pointed it or not - if he was told to drop it and he didn't then the shooting is justified. I mean how long does it take to raise the gun and fire?
                          I don't disagree, but that was apparently how the police reported it since the video has not been released

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I don't see how it is relevant whether he pointed it or not - if he was told to drop it and he didn't then the shooting is justified.
                            That's actually a fine line. The officer had to believe that his/her life - or the life of another person - was in imminent danger of serious bodily harm.

I mean how long does it take to raise the gun and fire?
                            How long does it take a bullet to leave the barrel of the officer's weapon?
                            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                              That's actually a fine line. The officer had to believe that his/her life - or the life of another person - was in imminent danger of serious bodily harm.

How long does it take a bullet to leave the barrel of the officer's weapon?
                              I'm sorry, if the officer says to put the weapon down and you don't I don't think the officer can wait and take a chance.

Comment