Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

The Rules of Debate

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    And yet they seem to be accommodating Hillary wrt to the height difference. That is equivalent to altering reality to create a false perception. What concession will they be making to Trump?
    I wonder if the "no breaks" was something that Trump got so that Hillary could have her "booster podium"

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by demi-conservative View Post

You sure about that? One lie by Clinton about emails, followed by moderator pointing it out, then she lies more about her lying, then more factchecking, then lie about lying about the lying etc etc will turn into hours-long grilling. There is limit on time!!
      The Clinton team seems to think that the fact checking ought to be entirely one-sided with the moderator correcting Trump and leaving Hillary to say what she wants

Source: Before debate, Clinton works refs, asks for special treatment

For several days, Democrats and their supporters in the press have demanded that presidential debate moderator Lester Holt factcheck Donald Trump in Monday night's showdown at Hofstra University. Those demands turned to pleading Sunday when Hillary Clinton's campaign manager, Robby Mook, appearing on ABC's "This Week," asked for special treatment for Clinton in the event that Trump tells lies from the debate stage.

"All that we're asking is that, if Donald Trump lies, that it's pointed out," Mook said. "It's unfair to ask for Hillary both to play traffic cop while with Trump, make sure that his lies are corrected, and also to present her vision for what she wants to do for the American people."

"But isn't that what a debater is supposed to do?" asked host George Stephanopoulos.

"Well, I think Donald Trump's special," Mook said. "We haven't seen anything like this…So we're saying this is a special circumstance, a special debate, and Hillary should be given some time to actually talk about what she wants to do to make a difference in people's lives. She shouldn't have to spend the whole debate correcting the record."

Other Clinton officials made a similar case in the days leading up to the debate. On Friday, Team Clinton held a conference call for reporters, urging Holt to factcheck Trump on the fly. "This is the role of the moderator…to call out those lies, and do it in real time," top campaign official Jennifer Palmieri said. "To not do that is to give Donald Trump a very unfair advantage."

Source

[*Story continues at the link above*]

© Copyright Original Source

Note how they aren't requesting that Holt fact check both candidates but only Trump

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by EvoUK View Post
        Surely making sure both candidates don't both actively lie during the savaged is a good thing?
        Executive Director of debate speaks common sense!!

STELTER: What about the issue of fact checking that has been talked about so much in the past few weeks? Does the commission want Lester Holt to fact check?

BROWN: The commission asks independent, smart journalists to be the moderators and we let them decide how they’re going to do this. But I have to say, in our history, the moderators have found it appropriate to allow the candidates to be the ones that talk about the accuracy or the fairness of what the other candidate or candidates might have said. I think, personally, if you are starting to get into the fact-check, I’m not sure what is the big fact, and what is a little fact? And if you and I have different sources of information, does your source about the unemployment rate agree with my source? I don’t think it’s a good idea to get the moderator into essentially serving as the Encyclopedia Britannica. And I think it’s better for that person to facilitate and to depend on the candidates to basically correct each other as they see fit.

http://www.breitbart.com/video/2016/...tive-director/
        Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Comment

The Clinton team seems to think that the fact checking ought to be entirely one-sided with the moderator correcting Trump and leaving Hillary to say what she wants

Source: Before debate, Clinton works refs, asks for special treatment

For several days, Democrats and their supporters in the press have demanded that presidential debate moderator Lester Holt factcheck Donald Trump in Monday night's showdown at Hofstra University. Those demands turned to pleading Sunday when Hillary Clinton's campaign manager, Robby Mook, appearing on ABC's "This Week," asked for special treatment for Clinton in the event that Trump tells lies from the debate stage.

"All that we're asking is that, if Donald Trump lies, that it's pointed out," Mook said. "It's unfair to ask for Hillary both to play traffic cop while with Trump, make sure that his lies are corrected, and also to present her vision for what she wants to do for the American people."

"But isn't that what a debater is supposed to do?" asked host George Stephanopoulos.

"Well, I think Donald Trump's special," Mook said. "We haven't seen anything like this…So we're saying this is a special circumstance, a special debate, and Hillary should be given some time to actually talk about what she wants to do to make a difference in people's lives. She shouldn't have to spend the whole debate correcting the record."

Other Clinton officials made a similar case in the days leading up to the debate. On Friday, Team Clinton held a conference call for reporters, urging Holt to factcheck Trump on the fly. "This is the role of the moderator…to call out those lies, and do it in real time," top campaign official Jennifer Palmieri said. "To not do that is to give Donald Trump a very unfair advantage."

Source

[*Story continues at the link above*]

© Copyright Original Source

Note how they aren't requesting that Holt fact check both candidates but only Trump
          Which is why I describe it as Hillary throwing in the towel, because she's basically admitting that she can't beat Trump on a level playing field.
          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Although I think if Trump plays his cards right, this "fact check" nonsense could easily blow up in Hillary's face. The first time she tells a lie (which will be within approximately 3-seconds of her opening her mouth), he can smile, turn to the moderator, and say, "Can we get a fact check on that please?" It'll get a laugh from the audience, it'll catch Hillary off guard, and it'll make a mockery of the whole "fact check" gambit.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
              Hillary isn't asking for the same standard, she's asking the moderator to help her beat Trump.
              Hope you have your tin foil hat ready there MM.

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
                This isn't tinfoil hat nuttery, you dolt. Have you even read the statements from the Clinton campaign? They have explicitly called on the moderator to "fact check" Trump in order to give Hillary more time to talk about her agenda.

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/article/2602810

Comment

let's meet in the shoutbox tonight during the debate and discuss it live.

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
                    Maybe he could borrow yours?
                    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                      let's meet in the shoutbox tonight during the debate and discuss it live.
                      I'll be in bed since I have to be at work at 5 AM

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                        Maybe he could borrow yours?
                        But it's sized for pinheads

Comment

But it's sized for pinheads
                          And would need to be surgically removed.

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

One things can be certain. America will be embarrassed all around.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                              And would need to be surgically removed.

It is screwed on pretty tight

Comment

Originally posted by Sea of red View Post
                                One things can be certain. America will be embarrassed all around.
                                Kind of a no-win situation

Comment