Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Utah's Great Salt Lake Disappearing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    It is what it is, Lurch.
    Oh, i don't know enough about the tributaries to the Great Salt Lake or the recent trends in Utah's climate to say anything intelligent here, which is why i joked.
    "Any sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from trolling."

Comment

Originally posted by TheLurch View Post
      Oh, i don't know enough about the tributaries to the Great Salt Lake or the recent trends in Utah's climate to say anything intelligent here, which is why i joked.
      Me either. I know there are droughts - there have been throughout history. Whether they are greater due to climate change, I don't know, and it would be hard to figure that in this case, I would imagine, because we know for a fact that a lot of the water that normally flowed into the GSL (as well as the Dead Sea) has been diverted for other purposes.

I appreciate your input, even if it's joking.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Me either. I know there are droughts - there have been throughout history. Whether they are greater due to climate change, I don't know, and it would be hard to figure that in this case, I would imagine, because we know for a fact that a lot of the water that normally flowed into the GSL (as well as the Dead Sea) has been diverted for other purposes.
        Well, i think it would be possible to answer in principle, because the amount of water that's diverted is typically tracked - rivers cross state borders or federal lands, etc. and so must be accounted for. The questions are then:
        With historic rainfalls, would the lake level be maintained?
        Has climate change contributed to lower than historic rainfalls?

Attribution studies (did climate change cause this?) are doable. Typically, you take a climate model that can successfully reproduce historic data in the region. Then you run it with and without the CO2 we've added to the atmosphere. Typically, these don't produce a yes-or-no answer, in that you rarely see situations where weather conditions NEVER happened prior to the onset of climate change. But they can provide a bit of perspective - you get cases where a specific weather pattern might occur once every 100 years without climate change, but now occurs once a decade or something. So you can sometimes make statements about climate change making an event more likely.
        "Any sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from trolling."

Comment

Particularly when the water feeding them is diverted to agriculture or human consumption elsewhere.
          Right. I'm saying they're on natural trajectories to drying out on a centuries long time scale, but diversion of source water will hasten the process.

Comment

Originally posted by Bret View Post
            Right. I'm saying they're on natural trajectories to drying out on a centuries long time scale, but diversion of source water will hasten the process.
            Agreed. Makes total sense.

Just so everybody knows, I didn't post this to argue climate change or anything else - just as a discussion of a natural resource (huge tourist impact economically) potentially going away.

So far, everybody's doing great!
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment