Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Knowing for sure one is going to heaven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One Bad Pig, do you believe that if a demon turned from all his sins and lived a life of good works he would be saved? That is not biblical. Whether a demon believes, lives a good life, worships God, whatever, makes no difference to his eternal fate. Therefore, using Luke 4 to disprove salvation by faith makes no sense.

Comment

• Originally posted by Obsidian View Post
      One Bad Pig, do you believe that if a demon turned from all his sins and lived a life of good works he would be saved? That is not biblical.
      Did you even read my last post?
      Whether a demon believes, lives a good life, worships God, whatever, makes no difference to his eternal fate. Therefore, using Luke 4 to disprove salvation by faith makes no sense.
      James is the one who brought up the belief of demons in the context of faith. Was James making no sense in 2:19? Are you even trying to follow my argument?
      Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
      sigpic
      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• I've read everything you've been writing. I haven't seen you make much of an argument. As best I can tell, your position seems to be that since the demons believe and wind up in eternal torment, therefore belief does not save humans either.

You stated the following, which implies that you think demons could get to heaven if they would just do some good works to add to their faith.

Originally posted by One Bad Pig
        Further, per Luke 4:41, demons also believe that Jesus is the Son of God. Does this belief save them, unlike the other one? I don't think so.

Comment

I've read everything you've been writing.
          Then why did you bother asking a question I'd already answered in the negative?
          I haven't seen you make much of an argument.
          *shrug* Chrawnus got my point, as did Teallaura.
          As best I can tell, your position seems to be that since the demons believe and wind up in eternal torment, therefore belief does not save humans either.
          Would you rather I disagree with James?

You stated the following, which implies that you think demons could get to heaven if they would just do some good works to add to their faith.
          No, it does not. Try dealing with my statement from within the context it was made.
          Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
          sigpic
          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Hint: belief in existence of God =/= faith in God. Faith is our trust that God is Who He says He is and will do what He says He will - His existence is a given.
            "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
              Hint: belief in existence of God =/= faith in God. Faith is our trust that God is Who He says He is and will do what He says He will - His existence is a given.

"Fire is catching. If we burn, you burn with us!"
              "I'm not going anywhere. I'm going to stay here and cause all kinds of trouble."
              Katniss Everdeen

Christ our Passover has been sacrificed for us. Therefore let us keep the feast.

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                And those whose names are not blotted out according to promise (Revelation 3:5)are the ones who could know that they have eternal life (1 John 5;1, 4, 5, 9-13).
                Does not the promise at the very least imply that it is possible to have one's name blotted out if one fails to overcome? Is it possible in your opinion to have one's name written in the book of life but not know one has eternal life?
                I believe everyones names are in the book of life until they are blotted out.

What the promise teaches is those who "overcome" by having faith in Christ (1 John 5:1, 4, 5.) will not have their names blotted out. There are 7 promises written regarding those who are the ones who have faith in Christ and so overcomes this world.

"He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; He that overcometh shall not be hurt of the second death." -- Revelation 2:11.
                "He that overcometh shall inherit all things; and I will be his God, and he shall be my son." -- Revelation 21:7.

Those who do not overcome are those who do not have faith in God's Christ alone. They are trusting in their dead works.
                Last edited by 37818; 04-16-2014, 02:18 PM.
                . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

• Originally posted by 37181
                  The rest of your post could easily be true even if this point is not. I agree with the rest of your post. What is the purpose of this belief -- just to reconcile your soteriology with the KJV of Revelation 22:18-19?

Comment

The rest of your post could easily be true even if this point is not. I agree with the rest of your post. What is the purpose of this belief -- just to reconcile your soteriology with the KJV of Revelation 22:18-19?
                    The prerequisite is receiving the kingdom of God as a child. (Luke 18:17, 18. John 3:3.) Christ dead for everyone (1 John 2:2), so everyone's name would be in the book of life. The reason names are removed is being of age and not being saved. The names can be removed any time between coming of age (compare Isaiah 7:16) and death (Psalm 69:27, 28). So children who are not of age to shoose Christ, their names remain in the book of life, since Christ died for them too.
                    . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

• Originally posted by 37818 View Post
                      [from a subsequent post]
                      Originally posted by 37818 View Post
                      The prerequisite is receiving the kingdom of God as a child. (Luke 18:17, 18. John 3:3.) Christ dead for everyone (1 John 2:2), so everyone's name would be in the book of life. The reason names are removed is being of age and not being saved. The names can be removed any time between coming of age (compare Isaiah 7:16) and death (Psalm 69:27, 28). So children who are not of age to shoose Christ, their names remain in the book of life, since Christ died for them too.
                      I was only able to find one passage on how names are written:
                      Source: Mal. 3:16 NKVJ

Then those who feared the Lord spoke to one another, And the Lord listened and heard them; So a book of remembrance was written before Him For those who fear the Lord And who meditate on His name.

© Copyright Original Source

[back to the original post]
                      What the promise teaches is those who "overcome" by having faith in Christ (1 John 5:1, 4, 5.) will not have their names blotted out.
                      Latter-Day Saints and Jehovah's Witnesses pass that test. Are they saved?
                      There are 7 promises written regarding those who are the ones who have faith in Christ and so overcomes this world.
                      What are those?
                      "He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; He that overcometh shall not be hurt of the second death." -- Revelation 2:11.
                      "He that overcometh shall inherit all things; and I will be his God, and he shall be my son." -- Revelation 21:7.
                      Can those who are under the age of accountability have faith in Christ and overcome?
                      Those who do not overcome are those who do not have faith in God's Christ alone. They are trusting in their dead works.
                      Hold on a minute. You were just using 1 John 5:1,4-5 as the litmus test for salvation. Now you're adding in other criteria. You can't have things both ways. Further,
                      Source: James 2:14-20

14 What does it profit, my brethren, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can faith save him? 15 If a brother or sister is naked and destitute of daily food, 16 and one of you says to them, “Depart in peace, be warmed and filled,” but you do not give them the things which are needed for the body, what does it profit? 17 Thus also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead. 18 But someone will say, “You have faith, and I have works.” Show me your faith without your works, and I will show you my faith by my works. 19 You believe that there is one God. You do well. Even the demons believe—and tremble! 20 But do you want to know, O foolish man, that faith without works is dead?

James says that faith without works is dead (three times, even - he repeats in in v. 26). Is he mistaken? It's no wonder that the champion of "Faith alone" (Martin Luther) wanted to throw the book out.

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig
                        LDS and Jehovah's witnesses believe in works salvation, same as the Orthodox Church.

Hold on a minute. You were just using 1 John 5:1,4-5 as the litmus test for salvation. Now you're adding in other criteria.
                        1 John 5:11 clarifies what the record is that needs to be believed. The record includes the fact that salvation is eternal (implying it is not contingent on future works), that it is a gift (implying that it is not contingent on past works) and that it comes from the Son of God (implying that it is based on Jesus's works).

I'm not gonna defend his comments about the book of life, however, because I am not sure whether I even agree.

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                          [from a subsequent post]

I was only able to find one passage on how names are written:
                          Source: Mal. 3:16 NKVJ

Then those who feared the Lord spoke to one another, And the Lord listened and heard them; So a book of remembrance was written before Him For those who fear the Lord And who meditate on His name.

So are you equate the book of remembrance with the book of life?

There is another reference of being written, ". . . Thy eyes did see my imperfect being, and in thy book all shall be written: days shall be formed, and no one in them. . . ." -- Psalm 139:16. I do not know if this refers to the book of life.

Now following may refer to the book of life, but again it does not say this: ". . . rejoice in this, that your names are written in heaven." -- Luke 20:10.

The first reference I believe of the book of life is because of Moses' request to have his name removed if God does not forgive the people of Israel, " . . . strike me out of the book that thou hast written." -- Exodus 32:32.

[back to the original post]
                          What the promise teaches is those who "overcome" by having faith in Christ (1 John 5:1, 4, 5.) will not have their names blotted out.
                          No, they do not. It is not a test, it is the requirement to believe in God's Christ. LDS deny God the Father, Jesus Christ and the Holy Spirit are one and the same God. LDS view of the trinity is tritheism. The Jehovah's Witnesses deny Jesus is Jehovah (Isaiah 43:11, Acts 4:12, Acts 10:43). When I offered to them to explain 1 John 5:1, those Jehovah's Witnesses stipulated "Everyone" refers to only the 144,000, but not to them.

Believing Jesus is the Christ, is not in a mere title, but who He is (2 John 9).

There are 7 promises written regarding those who are the ones who have faith in Christ and so overcomes this world.
                          What are those?
                          1.- "He that hath an ear let him hear what the Spirit saith to the churches: To him that overcometh I will give to eat of the tree of life which is in the paradise of my God." -- Revelation 2:7.
                          2.- "He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith to the churches: He that shall overcome shall not be hurt by the second death." -- Revelation 2:11.
                          3.- "He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith to the churches: To him that overcometh I will give the hidden manna and will give him a white counter: and in the counter, a new name written, which no man knoweth but he that receiveth it." -- Revelation 2:17.
                          4.- "And he that shall overcome and keep my words unto the end, I will give him power over the nations. And he shall rule them with a rod of iron: and as the vessel of a potter they shall be broken: As I also have received of my Father. And I will give him the morning star. He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith to the churches. " -- Revelation 2:26-29.
                          5.- "He that shall overcome shall thus be clothed in white garments: and I will not blot out his name out of the book of life. And I will confess his name before my Father and before his angels. He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith to the churches." -- Revelation 3:5, 6.
                          6.- "He that shall overcome, I will make him a pillar in the temple of my God: and he shall go out no more. And I will write upon him the name of my God and the name of the city of my God, the new Jerusalem, which cometh down out of heaven from my God, and my new name. He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith to the churches." -- Revelation 3:12, 13.
                          7.- " To him that shall overcome, I will give to sit with me in my throne: as I also have overcome and am set down with my Father in his throne. He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith to the churches." -- Revelation 3:21, 22.

And the eight reference,
                          "He that shall overcome shall possess these things. And I will be his God: and he shall be my son." -- Revelation 21:7.

Can those who are under the age of accountability have faith in Christ and overcome?
                          They without faith in Christ already meet the requirement of being children. For they are for whom Christ died. The kingdom of God was prepared for them. ". . . But Jesus, calling them together, said: Allow children to come to me and forbid them not: for of such is the kingdom of God." -- Luke 18:16.
                          Hold on a minute. You were just using 1 John 5:1,4-5 as the litmus test for salvation.
                          It is not a test. It is what is needed to meet the requirement (John 3:3). Those who trust in their works are not trusting in God's Christ according to God's will.
                          "Not every one that saith to me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven: but he that doth the will of my Father who is in heaven, he shall enter into the kingdom of heaven." -- Matthew 7:21.

. . . Now you're adding in other criteria. You can't have things both ways.
                          It is not two ways, it is only the one way.
                          " Many will say to me in that day: Lord, Lord, have not we prophesied in thy name, and cast out devils in thy name, and done many miracles in thy name?" -- Matthew 7:22. Notice they are trusting in their works.
                          "And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, you that work iniquity." -- Matthew 7:23.
                          They never were really Christ's followers.

. . . Further,
                          Source: James 2:14-20

14 What does it profit, my brethren, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can faith save him? 15 If a brother or sister is naked and destitute of daily food, 16 and one of you says to them, “Depart in peace, be warmed and filled,” but you do not give them the things which are needed for the body, what does it profit? 17 Thus also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead. 18 But someone will say, “You have faith, and I have works.” Show me your faith without your works, and I will show you my faith by my works. 19 You believe that there is one God. You do well. Even the demons believe—and tremble! 20 But do you want to know, O foolish man, that faith without works is dead?

James says that faith without works is dead (three times, even - he repeats in in v. 26). Is he mistaken? It's no wonder that the champion of "Faith alone" (Martin Luther) wanted to throw the book out.
                          It is my understanding that works that count, follow those who are saved. Abraham whose work is given as an example. His work took place and followed years after (Genesis 22:1-17) Abraham was counted righteous (Genesis 15:6).

The purpose of works is to follow salvation. Not to obtain salvation.
                          "For by grace you are saved through faith: and that not of yourselves, for it is the gift of God. Not of works, that no man may glory. For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus in good works, which God hath prepared that we should walk in them." -- Ephesians 2:8-10.

". . . with fear and trembling work out your salvation. For it is God who worketh in you, both to will and to accomplish, according to his good will." -- Philppians 2:12. 13. Salvation is a possession.
                          Last edited by 37818; 04-17-2014, 09:57 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by 37818
                            LDS deny God the Father, Jesus Christ and the Holy Spirit are one and the same God. LDS view of the trinity is tritheism. The Jehovah's Witnesses deny Jesus is Jehovah (Isaiah 43:11, Acts 4:12, Acts 10:43).
                            Why even get to that complicated issue? Is there a single church in all existence that teaches salvation by faith alone, yet denies the Trinity? True faith in Jesus as Savior is the real issue. Yet look at how (seemingly) all the churches which deny the Trinity also teach works salvation.

Comment

Why even get to that complicated issue? Is there a single church in all existence that teaches salvation by faith alone, yet denies the Trinity? True faith in Jesus as Savior is the real issue. Yet look at how (seemingly) all the churches which deny the Trinity also teach works salvation.
                              Yes, that is the evidence. But even so, affirmation of teaching the Trinity (One God, three Persons) does not assure that salvation by grace alone through faith alone in Christ alone is being taught. One can have the trinity explanation right and still have the wrong Christ.

The issue was being made that LDS and JW believe in Christ (1 John 5:1). They have the wrong Christ. Or may we say they have the wrong understanding of whom Christ is and what Christ fully accomplished.
                              Last edited by 37818; 04-17-2014, 10:10 PM.

Comment

• Saying they have the "wrong Christ" is a subjective, dubious assertion. They get some things wrong about Christ. Does that make him the wrong one? Who knows. The point is that they don't believe on him, so it doesn't matter whether he's the right one or the wrong one.

Comment