Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Knowing for sure one is going to heaven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Truthseeker View Post
    1) You think we must earn salvation.
    No I don't.
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Salvation, like justification/judgment, has past, present and future tenses; the three are distinct and conflation can only result in confusion and error.

Comment

Originally posted by Obsidian View Post
        One Bad Pig believes in salvation by works.
        I believe in salvation by grace, through faith. However, faith without works is dead:
        Source: James 2:14-17 NKJV

14 What does it profit, my brethren, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can faith save him? 15 If a brother or sister is naked and destitute of daily food, 16 and one of you says to them, “Depart in peace, be warmed and filled,” but you do not give them the things which are needed for the body, what does it profit? 17 Thus also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead.

© Copyright Original Source

I agree with St. James. Do you?
        Do you really think he would agree with the theory that it is difficult to lose salvation? SeanD sure didn't make it sound very difficult to lose. My point is that you can potentially read the Bible to teach that salvation is impossible to lose, or that it is fairly easy to lose. To claim that it is possible, but extremely difficult, seems like a terribly unrealistic view. It is a view based more on philosophy ("How can God take away my freedom to prevent me from going to hell if I really want to?") as opposed to scripture.
        I believe salvation, once gained, is impossible to lose. On the other hand, salvation is a process which is not complete until at least our deaths, and it is quite possible to stop before the end is attained. One of the weaknesses of the English language is its lack of ability to succinctly express the Greek perfect tense, in which salvation tends to be stated in the scriptures.
        Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
        sigpic
        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by RBerman View Post
          I must agree. The two choices are not mutually exclusive, and the issue of having eternal life (which is what the answers address) is different from the issue of knowing whether you have it (which is what the question asks about).
          Exactly. It seems that the poll is trying to set up the two as mutually exclusive, yet they don't have to be. And as you stated, the answers don't seem to address the question.

Per

Comment

I find 1 Peter 1:5 to be quite fitting here:
            [B]y God's power [you/we] are being guarded through faith for a salvation ready to be revealed in the last time. (ESV)

It's a case of both/and. Salvation is ultimately of the Lord, but he requires continued faith in him in order to attain final salvation.
            For Neo-Remonstration (Arminian/Remonstrant ruminations): <https://theremonstrant.blogspot.com>

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
              Those who endure to the end shall be saved, which is indicative that enduring is not guaranteed.
              That is an interpretation. Not one I hold.

". . . if any man love God, the same is known of him." -- 1 Corinthians 8:3.

" . . . every one that loveth is born of God, and knoweth God." -- 1 John 4:7.
              "[love] . . . endureth all things." -- 1 Corinthians 13:7.
              . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

Originally posted by 37818 View Post
                That is an interpretation. Not one I hold.

". . . if any man love God, the same is known of him." -- 1 Corinthians 8:3.

" . . . every one that loveth is born of God, and knoweth God." -- 1 John 4:7.
                "[love] . . . endureth all things." -- 1 Corinthians 13:7.
                I don't see how these verses negate the principle Sean is implying.
                "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                  I don't think God gives out "get out of hell free" cards.

Source: Phil 2:12-13 NKJV

12 Therefore, my beloved, as you have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling; 13 for it is God who works in you both to will and to do for His good pleasure.

It is a matter of, again, interpretation. Emphasis to be noted.
                  . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                    I don't see how these verses negate the principle Sean is implying.
                    It is by the love of God that we can love and so endure. As I hold the view God does the keeping. The disagreement is a matter of interpretation, is it not?

Comment

Originally posted by RBerman View Post
                      I must agree. The two choices are not mutually exclusive, and the issue of having eternal life (which is what the answers address) is different from the issue of knowing whether you have it (which is what the question asks about).
                      So it is some interprent the latter disallows God doing the keeping.

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                        I believe in salvation by grace, through faith. However, faith without works is dead:
                        Source: James 2:14-17 NKJV

14 What does it profit, my brethren, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can faith save him? 15 If a brother or sister is naked and destitute of daily food, 16 and one of you says to them, “Depart in peace, be warmed and filled,” but you do not give them the things which are needed for the body, what does it profit? 17 Thus also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead.

I agree with St. James. Do you?

I believe salvation, once gained, is impossible to lose. On the other hand, salvation is a process which is not complete until at least our deaths, and it is quite possible to stop before the end is attained. One of the weaknesses of the English language is its lack of ability to succinctly express the Greek perfect tense, in which salvation tends to be stated in the scriptures.
                        Salvation is a current possession. "For by grace you have been saved, . . ." -- Ephesians 2:8. NKJV And "For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them." v.10

And the works James gave an example of (Genesis 22:) took place years later after the cited promise (Genesis 15:6).
                        Last edited by 37818; 03-12-2014, 02:30 PM.

Comment

It is by the love of God that we can love and so endure. As I hold the view God does the keeping. The disagreement is a matter of interpretation, is it not?
                          So does this interpretation mean that God simply did not keep people who initially profess faith but walk away?

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                            So does this interpretation mean that God simply did not keep people who initially profess faith but walk away?
                            How do you interpret "They went out from us, but they were not of us; for if they had been of us, they would [no doubt] have continued with us: but [they went out], that they might be made manifest that they were not all of us," and context?

Comment

How do you interpret "They went out from us, but they were not of us; for if they had been of us, they would [no doubt] have continued with us: but [they went out], that they might be made manifest that they were not all of us," and context?
                              This would appear to say that in effect, only those who were truly in Christ persevered. (And I have posted elsewhere that I personally find this to be the single most difficult verse for Arminianism.)

Comment

First off, the context of this verse is not dealing with salvation, but with antichrists / false teachers.

Secondly, all this basically shows is at the time of the leaving, 'they were not of us'. It doesn't tell you about their state of fellowship prior to leaving (and this is even assuming that they even had 'genuine' fellowhip with the apostles)

So to reiterate:

Context shows that this verse is not dealing with salvation, but antichrists...and it only talks about their state of fellowship at the time of leaving. (this of course makes much more sense given the cultural and textual context of 1 John as a whole...i.e. false teachers, and antichrists are in view - not soteriology).

Remember:

'A text without a context is a pretext to make the text say whatever you want'
                                Last edited by phat8594; 03-12-2014, 05:19 PM.

Comment