Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Knowing for sure one is going to heaven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1. Luke 16 does not state that Abraham was in Hades. It says he was in Paradise.

2. I don't think Hebrews 11 is saying that Christians have received anything that Abraham did not. If that were so, then Christians would not need faith. And that would negate the point of the chapter.

3. I agree that Abraham was not dead.

Comment

• Originally posted by Obsidian View Post
      1. Luke 16 does not state that Abraham was in Hades. It says he was in Paradise.

2. I don't think Hebrews 11 is saying that Christians have received anything that Abraham did not. If that were so, then Christians would not need faith. And that would negate the point of the chapter.

3. I agree that Abraham was not dead.
      What do believers have that make them greater than John the Baptist , who was the greatest of all who were born of woman , before Christ was sent?

Comment

• Appealing to unclear verses will not prove your position, Footwasher.

Comment

1. Luke 16 does not state that Abraham was in Hades. It says he was in Paradise.
          It does not say Abraham was in Paradise. That it was Paradise is interpreted being the upper compartment of Hades is based on Christ dying going to Paradise that day [from on the cross], and His soul not being left in Hades.

". . . To day shalt thou be with me in paradise." -- Luke 23:43.

". . . that the beggar died, and was carried by the angels into Abraham's bosom: the rich man also died, and was buried; And in hell [Hades] he lift up his eyes, being in torments, and seeth Abraham . . . ." -- Luke 16:22, 23.

". . . For a fire is kindled in mine anger, and shall burn unto the lowest hell [Sheol], . . ." -- Deuteronomy 32:22.

". . . Abraham saith unto him, They have Moses and the prophets; let them hear them. . . ." -- Luke 16:29.

". . . thou wilt not leave my soul in hell [Sheol, Hades], neither wilt thou suffer thine Holy One to see corruption. . . . He seeing this before spake of the resurrection of Christ, that his soul was not left in hell, neither his flesh did see corruption." -- Acts 2:27, 31.
          Last edited by 37818; 05-22-2014, 11:07 PM.
          . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

Appealing to unclear verses will not prove your position, Footwasher.
            Why restrict the information that helps towards better understanding ?

Let's try again.

What was it specifically this rest , that Joshua could not bring God's People into?

Don't hold back from discovering what this rest is.

Hebrews 3:8For if Joshua had given them rest, He would not have spoken of another day after that. 9So there remains a Sabbath rest for the people of God.

Could it be the rest in Christ, to have imputed His empowerment of being the blessing to the world, through having living waters?

Ezekiel 36:24“ ‘For I will take you out of the nations; I will gather you from all the countries and bring you back into your own land. 25I will sprinkle clean water on you, and you will be clean; I will cleanse you from all your impurities and from all your idols.

John 4:10Jesus answered her, "If you knew the gift of God and who it is that asks you for a drink, you would have asked him and he would have given you living water."

Jeremiah 2:13"My people have committed two sins: They have forsaken me, the spring of living water, and have dug their own cisterns, broken cisterns that cannot hold water.
            Last edited by footwasher; 05-22-2014, 11:28 PM.

Comment

• @37818

I don't think Christ was in paradise when he died. The comma could arguably arise after "today." Otherwise, it is possible that Jesus is referencing that the thief will be with him in the sense of being with God in paradise.

Comment

@37818

I don't think Christ was in paradise when he died. The comma could arguably arise after "today." Otherwise, it is possible that Jesus is referencing that the thief will be with him in the sense of being with God in paradise.
                +

Which translations or translators does this? Thanks.

. . . αμην λεγω σοι σημερον μετ εμου εση εν τω παραδεισω

αμην - From the Hebrew, Amen - most certainly
                λεγω - say
                σοι - to you
                σημερον - this day
                μετ - with
                εμου - me
                εση - you shall be
                εν - in
                τω - the [not translated]
                παραδεισω - paradise [transliterated]
                . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment