Quirks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quirks

I'm posting this thread mostly because I'm tired of the (mostly political) hostility. If all us contentious people around here met each other in real life over dinner, we'd probably get along ok.

So this is my lame attempt, I suppose, of a "get to know you" thread. Loosen up a bit, everyone!

Also, please don't argue in this thread. Y'all do enough of it elsewhere.

I'm an anarchist libertarian who's quite socially conservative: e.g., traditional marriage, drugs are a bad idea, etc.

I'm a theologically conservative Christian who has lately been ruminating on such fun topics as martyrdom, suffering for the cause of Christ, exercising patience under the humbling hand of God, etc.

My favorite bands include such party favorites as Vader and Bolt Thrower. ("party favorites" is a joke here.) I love my heavy metal, but I don't expect anybody else to like it (especially bands like Vader and Bolt Thrower...lol).

I really enjoy a good Scotch or Bourbon. I like beer, but I don't drink it because my digestion can't handle the carbonation.

I think Harry Potter is overrated. I tried reading a Stephen King novel once and it bored me to tears. Lately I've been reading some of the short fiction of Thomas Ligotti--pretty weird, grim stuff.

My sense of humor is simultaneously goofy, punny, and somewhat dark. I tend to enjoy the strange and bizarre--I like seeing what crazy stuff people can come up with. Hence my enjoyment of Thomas Ligotti.

I'm an electrical engineer who doesn't actually care that much about electronics and such. A lot of engineers became engineers because they tinkered as kids, or they had an aptitude for it; not me. I picked EE because it sounded cool, and then happened never to change it. I'm ok at my job, I guess. Nothing special though.

I'm about a month away from finishing my first, actual novel. I'm very excited about this.
    I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

I am more conservative politically.

My music preferences go from classical to classic Rock to prog rock to metal. Bands like The Beatles, The monkees, King Crimson, Rainbow, Pink Floyd, Black sabbath.

My taste in books varies. I do like shakespeare and Tolkein is a legend. However I found charlotte bronte a rather annoying read.

In terms of food I like quite a bit. I want to get better at cooking.

I still have a lot to learn and experience about my faith. As C.S Lewis put it I am a man in the hallway. I must admit I have learned much however.

I quite enjoy classic anime. Shonen mostly though I have come to respect quite a few others as well. Ashita no Joe. Rurouni Kenshin. Kinnikuman. Dragonball. These are my favorite anime. I also hold a respect for the toku genre. Kamen Rider surprised me and is quite enjoyable. I have liked power rangers since I was a kid.

I tend to like Marvel more than DC.

I think anthrophomorphism is a fascinating art style.

I have not read Narnia yet. Though considering how much I love Hearthstone I probably will read it and the space trillogy at some point.

I like Poirot more than Sherlock.

Mlp is allright. Rather behind on that show. Royal canterlot wedding was surprisingly awesome.

I think Poe and Lovecraft beat out just about every horror movie ever.

I like dogs and Cats.

I like mountains.
    sigpic

Comment

I dont think your post is lame.
      sigpic

Comment

[takes notes for future extortion]

Comment

Originally posted by TheWall View Post
          I am more conservative politically.

My music preferences go from classical to classic Rock to prog rock to metal. Bands like The Beatles, The monkees, King Crimson, Rainbow, Pink Floyd, Black sabbath.

My taste in books varies. I do like shakespeare and Tolkein is a legend. However I found charlotte bronte a rather annoying read.

In terms of food I like quite a bit. I want to get better at cooking.

I still have a lot to learn and experience about my faith. As C.S Lewis put it I am a man in the hallway. I must admit I have learned much however.

I quite enjoy classic anime. Shonen mostly though I have come to respect quite a few others as well. Ashita no Joe. Rurouni Kenshin. Kinnikuman. Dragonball. These are my favorite anime. I also hold a respect for the toku genre. Kamen Rider surprised me and is quite enjoyable. I have liked power rangers since I was a kid.

I think anthrophomorphism is a fascinating art style.

I have not read Narnia yet. Though considering how much I love Hearthstone I probably will read it and the space trillogy at some point.

I like Poirot more than Sherlock.

Mlp is allright. Rather behind on that show. Royal canterlot wedding was surprisingly awesome.

I think Poe and Lovecraft beat out just about every horror movie ever.

I like dogs and Cats.

I like mountains.
          Lovecraft is another favorite of mine. If you like Poe and Lovecraft, you might check out Thomas Ligotti. He's similar to Lovecraft in a very loose sense, but his horror is much more subtle and more nebulous. Ligotti's work is really hard to describe, but he can make some of the most mundane things seem utterly unsettling and horrific. It's really neat what he can do.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
            [takes notes for future extortion]
            That one thing I always like about you

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Haven't heard of liggotti. A lot of people have reccomended Kafka to me.
              sigpic

Comment

Haven't heard of liggotti. A lot of people have reccomended Kafka to me.
                I've heard of Kafka because of Ligotti, and I'm hoping to get my hands on some of Kafka's material soon. Ligotti is often mentioned in the same breath as Kafka.

Comment

Sounds interesting.
                  sigpic

Comment

We got a lot of the same interests Zymologist.

I'm mostly apolitical, but sympathize with Christo-anarchism in the vein of Thoreau and Tolstoy. I lean generally socially conservative, but probably split from most Christian conservatives on issues like the death penalty, gay marriage, and gun control.

I definitely don't consider myself theologically liberal, but I believe some fundamentalists would probably disagree with a number of my views, especially concerning things like the age of the earth, and possibly even inerrancy and soteriology to some degree (though I thoroughly align with orthodox teaching).

My two major passions are music and films. I'm open to just about every genre, but am drawn to the weird and eclectic. I'm into Old School punk, post-punk, goth, 60s garage rock (including Turkish and Asian variations), afrobeat, bop jazz, black Gospel, Traditional Indian, Ethiopian, Celtic, weird 70s Italian B-movie and grindhouse soundtracks, and just anything plain weird and obscure.

Movie-wise, I'm into everything as well, and am currently working my way through the 1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die list. I'm almost halfway through. I'm especially interested in horror, fantasy, science fiction, and surreal/experimental. My favorite directors include Lynch, Jodorowsky, Cronenberg, Dreyer, Carpenter, Bakshi, Gilliam, Jeunet, Svankmajer, Russell, Kubrick.

I like beer and wine, and prefer imports and microbrews to domestics, but will drink anything if it's handed to me. Not big on hard liquor. My favorite food by far is Indian.

I rarely read fiction anymore, but some of my favorite fiction authors include Jack Kerouac, Umberto Eco, and Madison Smartt Bell.

I dabble in drawing (was initially leaning towards an art degree before being channeled into my current profession), ancient coins, learning German, playing bass, headphones, quadcopters, and playing first person shooters (currently and especially BF4).

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
                      We got a lot of the same interests Zymologist.

I'm mostly apolitical, but sympathize with Christo-anarchism in the vein of Thoreau and Tolstoy. I lean generally socially conservative, but probably split from most Christian conservatives on issues like the death penalty, gay marriage, and gun control.

I definitely don't consider myself theologically liberal, but I believe some fundamentalists would probably disagree with a number of my views, especially concerning things like the age of the earth, and possibly even inerrancy and soteriology to some degree (though I thoroughly align with orthodox teaching).

My two major passions are music and films. I'm open to just about every genre, but am drawn to the weird and eclectic. I'm into Old School punk, post-punk, goth, 60s garage rock (including Turkish and Asian variations), afrobeat, bop jazz, black Gospel, Traditional Indian, Ethiopian, Celtic, weird 70s Italian B-movie and grindhouse soundtracks, and just anything plain weird and obscure.

Movie-wise, I'm into everything as well, and am currently working my way through the 1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die list. I'm almost halfway through. I'm especially interested in horror, fantasy, science fiction, and surreal/experimental. My favorite directors include Lynch, Jodorowsky, Cronenberg, Dreyer, Carpenter, Bakshi, Gilliam, Jeunet, Svankmajer, Russell, Kubrick.

I like beer and wine, and prefer imports and microbrews to domestics, but will drink anything if it's handed to me. Not big on hard liquor. My favorite food by far is Indian.

I rarely read fiction anymore, but some of my favorite fiction authors include Jack Kerouac, Umberto Eco, and Madison Smartt Bell.

I dabble in drawing (was initially leaning towards an art degree before being channeled into my current profession), ancient coins, learning German, playing bass, headphones, quadcopters, and playing first person shooters (currently and especially BF4).

As a random aside that you should appreciate, I watched Phantasm the other day and liked it. Very old-school (sometimes hilariously so), but pretty cool overall. I'm looking forward to seeing the sequels. It definitely had that disturbingly bizarre slant to it that I like.

Comment

My quirk is that I have no quirks.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Used to be a big Marvel fanboy in the late 80s and early 90s, but mainstream comics have gotten so soapy, and so politically correct/agenda driven, that I just can't read them anymore. I stuck with Spidey for way longer than I should have, and the last book I picked up was a Straczynski Thor which was...terrible. I've been looking (not very hard) for a good indie title. Last one I picked up was Saga, which was pretty decent, but I never finished it. What I'd REALLY like to find is a Conan style series done in an unapologetically non-PC format akin to Milius' take on the character in the 1982 film.

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post

As a random aside that you should appreciate, I watched Phantasm the other day and liked it. Very old-school (sometimes hilariously so), but pretty cool overall. I'm looking forward to seeing the sequels. It definitely had that disturbingly bizarre slant to it that I like.
                            The first two are great. I'm not a big fan of the third or fourth (which I watched on release), but it's been years since I've seen them.
                            Last edited by Adrift; 09-27-2016, 03:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                              My quirk is that I have no quirks.

I find that hard to believe...

Comment