Thread: Miracles and Nanosurgery

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

Miracles and Nanosurgery

With the theory that miracles don't involve breaking the laws of physics and instead rely on God having all knowledge and power to do as He sees fit, how could the various miracles have been done?

e.g. raising the dead(essentially resuscitating someone from brain death and maybe decomposition)- first, the decomposition would need to be repaired/reversed, the cause of death would need to be dealt with, repair and restart the brain and other vital organs. All this in less than a second, which is not a problem for God.

healing the man born blind- fix whatever is keeping him from being able to see, rewire his occipital lobe/visual cortex to be able to process the information

So, if we developed nanosurgery, could we heal disabilities and reverse brain death?
    If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    The only thing I'm clear is that even if centuries from now we can do all this and more, we won't have something quite like a 'transphysical' resurrection body this side of death :)
    We are therefore Christ's ambassadors, as though God were making his appeal through us. We implore on Christ's behalf: 'Be reconciled to God!!'
    - 2 Corinthians 5:20.
    In deviantArt: ll-bisto-ll.deviantart.com
    Christian art and more: Christians.deviantart.com

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bisto View Post
    The only thing I'm clear is that even if centuries from now we can do all this and more, we won't have something quite like a 'transphysical' resurrection body this side of death :)
    Of course not! That and the initial creation of the universe are not covered by the laws of physics. How else was Jesus able to appear in locked rooms?

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Christianbookworm View Post
    With the theory that miracles don't involve breaking the laws of physics and instead rely on God having all knowledge and power to do as He sees fit, how could the various miracles have been done?
    FYI, I don't think it is helpful to think of miracles as "breaking" natural laws. This language implies that natural laws run autonomously, and that the universe is a kind of "clock" or "machine" that is able to run on its own, apart from divine providence.

I think it's more biblical to view "natural law" as God's normal way of running His universe, and "miracle" as an occasional, unusual way in which God runs His universe. God is just as much in charge of "natural" events as He is of miracles.
    "Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind." Albert Einstein

5. Amen Jedidiah amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kbertsche View Post
    FYI, I don't think it is helpful to think of miracles as "breaking" natural laws. This language implies that natural laws run autonomously, and that the universe is a kind of "clock" or "machine" that is able to run on its own, apart from divine providence.

I think it's more biblical to view "natural law" as God's normal way of running His universe, and "miracle" as an occasional, unusual way in which God runs His universe. God is just as much in charge of "natural" events as He is of miracles.
    I didn't claim that miracles broke the laws of physics. Though I would like to know why some would think it would be a miracle if God picked up a box versus if we did the same task. And why is nanotechnology seen as a bad thing by some Christians? I think it sounds cool. Of course, any technology can be used for good or for evil, and we humans seem to have a tendency to focus on one extreme...

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Christianbookworm View Post
    Of course not! That and the initial creation of the universe are not covered by the laws of physics. How else was Jesus able to appear in locked rooms?
    For the sarcastically impaired the following is said in jest

Employing whatever techno-babble Marvel uses to justify Vision walking through walls.

Vision_Phasing.jpg

We are therefore Christ's ambassadors, as though God were making his appeal through us. We implore on Christ's behalf: 'Be reconciled to God!!'
    - 2 Corinthians 5:20.
    In deviantArt: ll-bisto-ll.deviantart.com
    Christian art and more: Christians.deviantart.com