Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Miracles and Nanosurgery

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Obviously Jesus wore glasses so he wouldn't be recognized.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Christianbookworm View Post
    I knew that already! I'm referring to the nerdy details that no one else would care about. Like how and why they were kept from recognizing Jesus.
    Keep in mind that Jewish men of Jesus' day (and throughout most of history it seems) were typically bearded but after death they would have had all of their hair shaved off in preparation for burial. It could simply be that they didn't at first recognize him beardless. There are numerous websites showing just how different a man can look with and without a beard (The Daily Mail even ran an article on it).
    Last edited by rogue06; 04-03-2019 at 07:25 AM.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Faith
    slave & child of Christ
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I knew that already! I'm referring to the nerdy details that no one else would care about. Like how and why they were kept from recognizing Jesus.

Because He didn't want them to recognize Him until He decided it was time. He was explaining the scriptures about Himself (all OT, btw), so they would get who He is and the significance of His life, death and resurrection.

Also none of the disciples really believed that Christ would be resurrected after His death. Even though He told them umpteen times and they had just seen Lazarus raised.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    Obviously Jesus wore glasses so he wouldn't be recognized.

Jesus doesn't need glasses to pull of that trick! Though, I'm sure He had a good reason to not stick around and go back home from His short term mission trip.
    If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Faith
    XPian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    With the theory that miracles don't involve breaking the laws of physics and instead rely on God having all knowledge and power to do as He sees fit, how could the various miracles have been done?

e.g. raising the dead(essentially resuscitating someone from brain death and maybe decomposition)- first, the decomposition would need to be repaired/reversed, the cause of death would need to be dealt with, repair and restart the brain and other vital organs. All this in less than a second, which is not a problem for God.

healing the man born blind- fix whatever is keeping him from being able to see, rewire his occipital lobe/visual cortex to be able to process the information

So, if we developed nanosurgery, could we heal disabilities and reverse brain death?
    Those would not be miracles.

They would be applications, of natural processes accessible to man, within human power to operate as human being judged fit.

That X is remarkable or marvellous, does not in the least mean that it is a miracle.

A miracle:
    is outwith the capacities of anything in the natural order, or of the natural order as a whole
    is inaccessible to the power of anything within the natural order
    is not within the power of anything in the natural order to command or initiate
    has God alone for its Author, so that it depends solely on God’s Wisdom, Power, and Goodness as its originating, formal, & first cause.

Miracles can be performed by means secondary AKA instrumental causes, so human beings can be God’s instruments in the doing of them; but they cannot do miracles by any power native to them, as the initiating causes of them. To perform miracles is a charism, in technical terminology, a “grace freely given”. That is, it is not a necessary adornment of the Christian life: which is itself a wholly gratuitous gift of God, Who gives as He wills.

Raising the dead is not resuscitation. Coastguards and paramedics resuscitate people. Raising the dead is totally impossible, because absolutely beyond the capacity of any created cause. Once the body is dead, it is dead, and no power on Earth can make it otherwise. To raise the dead is impossible to mere creatures, because none of them is God, the Author of life - therefore, God alone can do it. Like all miracles, such an act is purely super-natural, relying on and deriving from nothing in created nature.
    Last edited by Rushing Jaws; 05-04-2020 at 08:37 PM.

Faith
    XPian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I figured that Jesus teleported or something. Now, why the two on the road to Emmaus didn't recognize Jesus... well they sure weren't expecting to see Him! I am curious as to how the glorified body would look like on a cellular level. I guess the cells would be indestructible and immortal? I might be a nerd.
    IMO, the post-Resurrection Appearances show space relating to Jesus in a new way - *not* Jesus relating to space - as anticipations of the Ascension.

Would the Glorified Body of Christ be cellular at all ? I think not. I think such things belong to the “state of humiliation” in this world, a state “normal” to all men, in which the Word Incarnate deigned to share.

I think cells are a temporary makeshift, that will form no part of the glorified bodies of the Blessed after the Resurrection. Cells, and electrons (& other sub-atomic particles), are what our (corruptible) bodies are made of - not what those bodies are. When the Blessed “put on incorruption” & “death is swallowed up in victory”, their mortal bodies will be transfigured, for Christ will be fully formed in all the Blessed, and all things will be made new. I think cells, etc., belong to this age - not to that which is coming.

STM the Glorified Body of Christ is too “heavy”, has too much *kabodh*/*doxa*/glory, to fit the world man lives in; it is “too Real”. The disciples were, and we are, ghosts by comparison. I know C. S. makes frequent use of this idea, but IMHO he was “on to something”. Perhaps talk of Christ “Ascending” uses this-worldly, this-agely, human - but God-breathed - “ghost talk” to convey what human words have no means of describing, because the Ascension belongs in essence to God’s Reality, not to the “sub-created” reality we live in.
    And perhaps the same applies to the Resurrection Body of Christ, as compared with the lowly bodies of mortal men.

I think cells are what bodies have, that have yet to be perfectly conformed to the Glorified, Renewed, Sacred Humanity of the Resurrected and Ascended Christ. Which would suggest that extra-ordinary graces such as: bilocation, knowledge of men’s hearts, multiplication of food, raising the dead, walking on water, etc., are anticipations, in this mortal, unglorified body, of the conditions of the age to come.
    Last edited by Rushing Jaws; 05-08-2020 at 02:46 AM.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Uhh... that sounds like claiming matter is bad. It isn't. Have you read Randy Alcorn's book called Heaven?
    If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!