Announcement

Collapse

Applied Protology 201 Guidelines

This forum is for Christian creationists (YEC and OEC) only, and we ask that conversations be kept civil and with brotherly charity.

Deistic notions or even theistic evolutionary* notions are excluded from this forum.

This area is not to be used to bash organizations that promote a Cosmological view different from your own (ie AiG or RTB).

The purpose of this area is to provide a safe haven for fellow creationists to discuss their differences away from the hostility that normally accompanies such discussion. While disagreements are inevitable, the purpose of this forum is for fellow believers to discuss their differences in a civil manner. If you are unable to discuss differences in Cosmogony in a civil manner, then this forum is NOT for you!!!!!

There have been some issues as to who is allowed to post in this area and who is not. TheologyWeb had very specific goals and ideas in mind when setting up this area, and this is an attempt to clarify. This forum is for creationists only. This is not simply naturalism plus a belief in God or gods. So in other words, the question that a poster must ask himself is this: In what significant ways do my views on the origin of life and the universe differ from a non-theistic materialistic view practically speaking? If there are no significant differences, then this forum is not for you. The purpose is for persons who believe in a very active and significant “creation” process. All theists will by definition have some metaphysical elements, that is not the deciding factor here. Also simply a belief in the supernatural special creation of man or the infusion of a specially created soul is not the deciding factor. Of course those things are important, but that is not the sum and substance of the types of discussions here in which this would be a significant difference in the debate discussions.

Fairly speaking, we at TheologyWeb ask the posters not to look for “loopholes” or ways that their views could “fit.” If a poster frankly would not be considered a “creationist” in general vernacular, then we ask that such do not participate in this section in good faith. This is not done as a judgment or criticism against any theist whose views do not fall within the purview of this forum, it is simply to insure that the goals and intent of the spirit of the intentions of TheologyWeb are carried out. This is not said in maliciousness at all, and we totally ask for the respect of our members to the spirit in which this forum was created, for creationists (and ID advocates) as generally understood. There may certainly be Christians who do not qualify for this forum and that is not meant as a slur or insinuation against them. Salvation is not dependent upon our creation beliefs which are a secondary, in-house issue, though of course important.

Do not be offended or combative if a Moderator contacts you with a request for clarification of your beliefs and that sometimes the judgment calls of what is within the guidelines here can be gray. Please grant us the benefit of the doubt.

Due to the rash of recent "hostile" threads, the Cosmogony forum guidelines have been updated in an effort to 1) Clarify the purpose of this forum and 2) to prevent a repeat of the recent unpleasantries.

The purpose of the Cosmogony area has always been to provide a “safe haven” for civil discourse between fellow believers who happen to have opposing views on creation. It was our intent that the common ground of belief in deity and belief in some type of special creation would be enough to keep the discussion civil.

However, just the opposite has occurred. The Cosmogony area is one of the most contentious areas of TWeb. In order to return this area to “safe haven” it was designed to be, the area will be placed under greater moderator scrutiny until you guys lean to behave.

This means that personal attacks on posters, attacks on the Christianity of supporters of views that you do not hold, attacks on Christian organizations that support views that you do not hold, and hostile behavior in general will be subject to moderator intervention. However, what constitutes an “attack” is still up to the discretion of the moderators.

Posters who are habitually edited for hostile/aggressive post will have their access to this forum removed.

If you have any questions or comments, please contact the moderator(s) of this area.

Like everywhere else at Tweb, the regular rules apply:

Forum Rules: Here

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

*Theistic evolution is a position somewhere between evolution and creationism. It says that God created the substance of our universe and the guided it into what we have today via the evolutionary process.
See more
See less

Miracles and Nanosurgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miracles and Nanosurgery

With the theory that miracles don't involve breaking the laws of physics and instead rely on God having all knowledge and power to do as He sees fit, how could the various miracles have been done?

e.g. raising the dead(essentially resuscitating someone from brain death and maybe decomposition)- first, the decomposition would need to be repaired/reversed, the cause of death would need to be dealt with, repair and restart the brain and other vital organs. All this in less than a second, which is not a problem for God.

healing the man born blind- fix whatever is keeping him from being able to see, rewire his occipital lobe/visual cortex to be able to process the information

So, if we developed nanosurgery, could we heal disabilities and reverse brain death?
    If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

The only thing I'm clear is that even if centuries from now we can do all this and more, we won't have something quite like a 'transphysical' resurrection body this side of death :)
    We are therefore Christ's ambassadors, as though God were making his appeal through us. We implore on Christ's behalf: 'Be reconciled to God!!'
    - 2 Corinthians 5:20.
    In deviantArt: ll-bisto-ll.deviantart.com
    Christian art and more: Christians.deviantart.com

Comment

Originally posted by Bisto View Post
      The only thing I'm clear is that even if centuries from now we can do all this and more, we won't have something quite like a 'transphysical' resurrection body this side of death :)
      Of course not! That and the initial creation of the universe are not covered by the laws of physics. How else was Jesus able to appear in locked rooms?

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
        With the theory that miracles don't involve breaking the laws of physics and instead rely on God having all knowledge and power to do as He sees fit, how could the various miracles have been done?
        FYI, I don't think it is helpful to think of miracles as "breaking" natural laws. This language implies that natural laws run autonomously, and that the universe is a kind of "clock" or "machine" that is able to run on its own, apart from divine providence.

I think it's more biblical to view "natural law" as God's normal way of running His universe, and "miracle" as an occasional, unusual way in which God runs His universe. God is just as much in charge of "natural" events as He is of miracles.
        "Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind." – Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by Kbertsche View Post
          FYI, I don't think it is helpful to think of miracles as "breaking" natural laws. This language implies that natural laws run autonomously, and that the universe is a kind of "clock" or "machine" that is able to run on its own, apart from divine providence.

I think it's more biblical to view "natural law" as God's normal way of running His universe, and "miracle" as an occasional, unusual way in which God runs His universe. God is just as much in charge of "natural" events as He is of miracles.
          I didn't claim that miracles broke the laws of physics. Though I would like to know why some would think it would be a miracle if God picked up a box versus if we did the same task. And why is nanotechnology seen as a bad thing by some Christians? I think it sounds cool. Of course, any technology can be used for good or for evil, and we humans seem to have a tendency to focus on one extreme...

Comment

Of course not! That and the initial creation of the universe are not covered by the laws of physics. How else was Jesus able to appear in locked rooms?
            For the sarcastically impaired the following is said in jest

Employing whatever techno-babble Marvel uses to justify Vision walking through walls.

Vision_Phasing.jpg

We are therefore Christ's ambassadors, as though God were making his appeal through us. We implore on Christ's behalf: 'Be reconciled to God!!'
            - 2 Corinthians 5:20.
            In deviantArt: ll-bisto-ll.deviantart.com
            Christian art and more: Christians.deviantart.com

Comment

I figured that Jesus teleported or something. Now, why the two on the road to Emmaus didn't recognize Jesus... well they sure weren't expecting to see Him! I am curious as to how the glorified body would look like on a cellular level. I guess the cells would be indestructible and immortal? I might be a nerd.

Comment

I figured that Jesus teleported or something. Now, why the two on the road to Emmaus didn't recognize Jesus... well they sure weren't expecting to see Him! I am curious as to how the glorified body would look like on a cellular level. I guess the cells would be indestructible and immortal? I might be a nerd.
                With the first comment I agree: it is the most logical explanation.
                The second comment is answered by the Bible:
                (v16)
                οι δε οφθαλμοι αυτων εκρατουντο του μη επιγνωναι αυτον
                the - but -eyes - of them - got restrained - of the - not - to recognise - him
                (v31)
                αυτων δε διηνοιχθησαν οι οφθαλμοι και επεγνωσαν αυτον
                of them - but - got opened - the - eyes - and - they knew - him

Nothing was different about Jesus - it was their own capacity to recognise him that was impaired.

As to the third: so 'tis written: 1 Cor 15:42 This is how it will be at the resurrection of the dead. What is planted is decaying, what is raised cannot decay. 43 The body is planted in a state of dishonor but is raised in a state of splendor. It is planted in weakness but is raised in power. 44 It is planted a physical* body but is raised a spiritual* body. If there is a physical* body, there is also a spiritual* body. ISV
                [* a body motivated and controlled either by the spirit or by the soul (translated as: physical) as applicable ... this doesn't refer to the physical composition of the body.]
                Last edited by tabibito; 04-03-2019, 04:11 AM.
                1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                Scripture before Tradition:
                but that won't prevent others from
                taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

I knew that already! I'm referring to the nerdy details that no one else would care about. Like how and why they were kept from recognizing Jesus.

Comment

I knew that already! I'm referring to the nerdy details that no one else would care about. Like how and why they were kept from recognizing Jesus.
                    Associative agnosia: a failure in recognition despite no deficit in perception.
                    1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                    ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                    Scripture before Tradition:
                    but that won't prevent others from
                    taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                    of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Obviously Jesus wore glasses so he wouldn't be recognized.

Comment

Keep in mind that Jewish men of Jesus' day (and throughout most of history it seems) were typically bearded but after death they would have had all of their hair shaved off in preparation for burial. It could simply be that they didn't at first recognize him beardless. There are numerous websites showing just how different a man can look with and without a beard (The Daily Mail even ran an article on it).
                        Last edited by rogue06; 04-03-2019, 09:25 AM.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Because He didn't want them to recognize Him until He decided it was time. He was explaining the scriptures about Himself (all OT, btw), so they would get who He is and the significance of His life, death and resurrection.

Also none of the disciples really believed that Christ would be resurrected after His death. Even though He told them umpteen times and they had just seen Lazarus raised.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                            Obviously Jesus wore glasses so he wouldn't be recognized.

Jesus doesn't need glasses to pull of that trick! Though, I'm sure He had a good reason to not stick around and go back home from His short term mission trip.

Comment

e.g. raising the dead(essentially resuscitating someone from brain death and maybe decomposition)- first, the decomposition would need to be repaired/reversed, the cause of death would need to be dealt with, repair and restart the brain and other vital organs. All this in less than a second, which is not a problem for God.

healing the man born blind- fix whatever is keeping him from being able to see, rewire his occipital lobe/visual cortex to be able to process the information

So, if we developed nanosurgery, could we heal disabilities and reverse brain death?
                              Those would not be miracles.

They would be applications, of natural processes accessible to man, within human power to operate as human being judged fit.

That X is remarkable or marvellous, does not in the least mean that it is a miracle.

A miracle:
                              is outwith the capacities of anything in the natural order, or of the natural order as a whole
                              is inaccessible to the power of anything within the natural order
                              is not within the power of anything in the natural order to command or initiate
                              has God alone for its Author, so that it depends solely on God’s Wisdom, Power, and Goodness as its originating, formal, & first cause.

Miracles can be performed by means secondary AKA instrumental causes, so human beings can be God’s instruments in the doing of them; but they cannot do miracles by any power native to them, as the initiating causes of them. To perform miracles is a charism, in technical terminology, a “grace freely given”. That is, it is not a necessary adornment of the Christian life: which is itself a wholly gratuitous gift of God, Who gives as He wills.

Raising the dead is not resuscitation. Coastguards and paramedics resuscitate people. Raising the dead is totally impossible, because absolutely beyond the capacity of any created cause. Once the body is dead, it is dead, and no power on Earth can make it otherwise. To raise the dead is impossible to mere creatures, because none of them is God, the Author of life - therefore, God alone can do it. Like all miracles, such an act is purely super-natural, relying on and deriving from nothing in created nature.
                              Last edited by Rushing Jaws; 05-04-2020, 10:37 PM.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X