Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Israeli archeologists find taboo toilet at ancient Jewish shrine

Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

Israeli archeologists find taboo toilet at ancient Jewish shrine

Source: http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2016/09/29/world/offbeat-world/israeli-archeologists-find-taboo-toilet-ancient-jewish-shrine/#.V-23_PArLIU

JERUSALEM – Israeli archaeologists have discovered a stone toilet while excavating a Jewish shrine at an ancient city gate, they said Wednesday, evidence that a biblical king tried to stamp out worship there.

King Hezekiah deliberately defiled the eighth century B.C. shrine at the door to the ancient city of Lachish, as part of a campaign to centralize Jewish ritual in Jerusalem, the Israel Antiquities Authority said.

“A toilet was installed in the holy of holies as the ultimate desecration of that place,” the IAA said in a statement.

“A stone fashioned in the shape of a chair with a hole in its center was found in the corner of the room.”

The authority said it was the first time an archaeological find confirmed the practice of installing a toilet to discourage worship, which is referred to in the biblical Book of Kings in an account of King Jehu’s fight against worshippers of the pagan deity Baal.

“And they demolished the pillar of Baal, and demolished the house of Baal, and made it a latrine to this day,” the statement quoted the Bible as saying.

But laboratory tests suggest the stone toilet at the Lachish gate was never used, the IAA said.

This showed its placement was “symbolic, after which the holy of holies was sealed until the site was destroyed.”

Lachish, about 40 km (25 miles) southwest of Jerusalem, was conquered by the Assyrians under King Sennacherib in 701 B.C.

The city gate was first located “decades ago,” the IAA said, but was only fully exposed in early 2016.

“The excavation revealed destruction layers in the wake of the defeat, including arrowheads and sling stones, indicative of the hand-to-hand combat that occurred in the city’s gate house,” it said.

© Copyright Original Source

Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by shunyadragon View Post
    Source: http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2016/09/29/world/offbeat-world/israeli-archeologists-find-taboo-toilet-ancient-jewish-shrine/#.V-23_PArLIU

JERUSALEM – Israeli archaeologists have discovered a stone toilet while excavating a Jewish shrine at an ancient city gate, they said Wednesday, evidence that a biblical king tried to stamp out worship there.

King Hezekiah deliberately defiled the eighth century B.C. shrine at the door to the ancient city of Lachish, as part of a campaign to centralize Jewish ritual in Jerusalem, the Israel Antiquities Authority said.

“A toilet was installed in the holy of holies as the ultimate desecration of that place,” the IAA said in a statement.

“A stone fashioned in the shape of a chair with a hole in its center was found in the corner of the room.”

The authority said it was the first time an archaeological find confirmed the practice of installing a toilet to discourage worship, which is referred to in the biblical Book of Kings in an account of King Jehu’s fight against worshippers of the pagan deity Baal.

“And they demolished the pillar of Baal, and demolished the house of Baal, and made it a latrine to this day,” the statement quoted the Bible as saying.

But laboratory tests suggest the stone toilet at the Lachish gate was never used, the IAA said.

This showed its placement was “symbolic, after which the holy of holies was sealed until the site was destroyed.”

Lachish, about 40 km (25 miles) southwest of Jerusalem, was conquered by the Assyrians under King Sennacherib in 701 B.C.

The city gate was first located “decades ago,” the IAA said, but was only fully exposed in early 2016.

“The excavation revealed destruction layers in the wake of the defeat, including arrowheads and sling stones, indicative of the hand-to-hand combat that occurred in the city’s gate house,” it said.

© Copyright Original Source

I love when you post things that refute your earlier claims...

Quote Originally Posted by Shuny
    http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...l=1#post130539
    ... There is no evidence that the Hebrews were a distinct culture and society prior to ~600 BCE...

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals --- Manya the Holy Szin --- The Quintara Marathon ---

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common --- Stephen R. Donaldson ---

3. Amen Adrift, Cerebrum123, One Bad Pig amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    NOW this thread gets interesting.

Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill the Cat View Post
    I love when you post things that refute your earlier claims...
    This discovery and information does not conclude that the Hebrew's were a distinct culture at any point in time. In fact, my previous description describes the Hebrew culture and language beginning to become distinct ~800 - 600 BCE. Prior to this time period the Hebrews lacked a distinctive language and by the evidence were a pastorial Canaanite tribes or tribe in the Hills of Judea.
    Last edited by shunyadragon; 09-30-2016 at 11:59 AM.
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    This discovery and information does not conclude that the Hebrew's were a distinct culture at any point in time. In fact, my previous description describes the Hebrew culture and language beginning to become distinct ~800 - 600 BCE.
    Yeah... so indistinct that they had their own king...

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals --- Manya the Holy Szin --- The Quintara Marathon ---

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common --- Stephen R. Donaldson ---

7. Amen Adrift amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill the Cat View Post
    Yeah... so indistinct that they had their own king...
    Individual tribes wihin the region of course had heir own rulers, but a king? the evidence is all in on this claim. They did not even have a distinctive language before this time.

Frank

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Individual tribes wihin the region of course had heir own rulers, but a king? the evidence is all in on this claim. They did not even have a distinctive language before this time.
    From your OP:

10. Amen Cerebrum123 amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    This discovery and information does not conclude that the Hebrew's were a distinct culture at any point in time. In fact, my previous description describes the Hebrew culture and language beginning to become distinct ~800 - 600 BCE. Prior to this time period the Hebrews lacked a distinctive language and by the evidence were a pastorial Canaanite tribes or tribe in the Hills of Judea.
    So they had no distinctive culture, yet they had an organized religion and a king. um, yeah. pull the other one.

and you realize "Judea" was one of the tribes of Israel, right? Meaning if they had tribes and lands for those tribes, and a religion and a king, then they had a distinct language and they had a society and culture.

12. Amen Cerebrum123 amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Goal posts move in 3, 2, 1...

14. Amen Adrift amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    So they had no distinctive culture, yet they had an organized religion and a king. um, yeah. pull the other one.

and you realize "Judea" was one of the tribes of Israel, right? Meaning if they had tribes and lands for those tribes, and a religion and a king, then they had a distinct language and they had a society and culture.
    First, read again, the Hills of Judea refers to a geographic region, and not a tribe. Reading comprehension a problem here?

Frank