Announcement

Collapse

Archeology 201 Guidelines

If Indiana Jones happened to be a member of Tweb, this is where he'd hang out.

Welcome to the Archeology forum. Were you out doing some gardening and dug up a relic from the distant past? would you like to know more about Ancient Egypt? Did you think Memphis was actually a city in Tennessee?

Well, for the answers to those and other burning questions you've found the right digs.

Our forum rules apply here too, if you haven't read them now is the time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Israeli archeologists find taboo toilet at ancient Jewish shrine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Israeli archeologists find taboo toilet at ancient Jewish shrine

Source: http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2016/09/29/world/offbeat-world/israeli-archeologists-find-taboo-toilet-ancient-jewish-shrine/#.V-23_PArLIU

JERUSALEM – Israeli archaeologists have discovered a stone toilet while excavating a Jewish shrine at an ancient city gate, they said Wednesday, evidence that a biblical king tried to stamp out worship there.

King Hezekiah deliberately defiled the eighth century B.C. shrine at the door to the ancient city of Lachish, as part of a campaign to centralize Jewish ritual in Jerusalem, the Israel Antiquities Authority said.

“A toilet was installed in the holy of holies as the ultimate desecration of that place,” the IAA said in a statement.

“A stone fashioned in the shape of a chair with a hole in its center was found in the corner of the room.”

The authority said it was the first time an archaeological find confirmed the practice of installing a toilet to discourage worship, which is referred to in the biblical Book of Kings in an account of King Jehu’s fight against worshippers of the pagan deity Baal.

“And they demolished the pillar of Baal, and demolished the house of Baal, and made it a latrine to this day,” the statement quoted the Bible as saying.

But laboratory tests suggest the stone toilet at the Lachish gate was never used, the IAA said.

This showed its placement was “symbolic, after which the holy of holies was sealed until the site was destroyed.”

Lachish, about 40 km (25 miles) southwest of Jerusalem, was conquered by the Assyrians under King Sennacherib in 701 B.C.

The city gate was first located “decades ago,” the IAA said, but was only fully exposed in early 2016.

“The excavation revealed destruction layers in the wake of the defeat, including arrowheads and sling stones, indicative of the hand-to-hand combat that occurred in the city’s gate house,” it said.

© Copyright Original Source

Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
    Source: http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2016/09/29/world/offbeat-world/israeli-archeologists-find-taboo-toilet-ancient-jewish-shrine/#.V-23_PArLIU

JERUSALEM – Israeli archaeologists have discovered a stone toilet while excavating a Jewish shrine at an ancient city gate, they said Wednesday, evidence that a biblical king tried to stamp out worship there.

King Hezekiah deliberately defiled the eighth century B.C. shrine at the door to the ancient city of Lachish, as part of a campaign to centralize Jewish ritual in Jerusalem, the Israel Antiquities Authority said.

“A toilet was installed in the holy of holies as the ultimate desecration of that place,” the IAA said in a statement.

“A stone fashioned in the shape of a chair with a hole in its center was found in the corner of the room.”

The authority said it was the first time an archaeological find confirmed the practice of installing a toilet to discourage worship, which is referred to in the biblical Book of Kings in an account of King Jehu’s fight against worshippers of the pagan deity Baal.

“And they demolished the pillar of Baal, and demolished the house of Baal, and made it a latrine to this day,” the statement quoted the Bible as saying.

But laboratory tests suggest the stone toilet at the Lachish gate was never used, the IAA said.

This showed its placement was “symbolic, after which the holy of holies was sealed until the site was destroyed.”

Lachish, about 40 km (25 miles) southwest of Jerusalem, was conquered by the Assyrians under King Sennacherib in 701 B.C.

The city gate was first located “decades ago,” the IAA said, but was only fully exposed in early 2016.

“The excavation revealed destruction layers in the wake of the defeat, including arrowheads and sling stones, indicative of the hand-to-hand combat that occurred in the city’s gate house,” it said.

© Copyright Original Source

I love when you post things that refute your earlier claims...

Originally posted by Shuny
    http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...l=1#post130539
    ... There is no evidence that the Hebrews were a distinct culture and society prior to ~600 BCE...
    That's what
    - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
    - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
    - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

NOW this thread gets interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
        I love when you post things that refute your earlier claims...
        This discovery and information does not conclude that the Hebrew's were a distinct culture at any point in time. In fact, my previous description describes the Hebrew culture and language beginning to become distinct ~800 - 600 BCE. Prior to this time period the Hebrews lacked a distinctive language and by the evidence were a pastorial Canaanite tribes or tribe in the Hills of Judea.
        Last edited by shunyadragon; 09-30-2016, 12:59 PM.
        But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Comment

This discovery and information does not conclude that the Hebrew's were a distinct culture at any point in time. In fact, my previous description describes the Hebrew culture and language beginning to become distinct ~800 - 600 BCE.
          Yeah... so indistinct that they had their own king...
          That's what
          - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
          - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Yeah... so indistinct that they had their own king...
            Individual tribes wihin the region of course had heir own rulers, but a king? the evidence is all in on this claim. They did not even have a distinctive language before this time.

Frank

Comment

Individual tribes wihin the region of course had heir own rulers, but a king? the evidence is all in on this claim. They did not even have a distinctive language before this time.
              From your OP:

That's what
              - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

This discovery and information does not conclude that the Hebrew's were a distinct culture at any point in time. In fact, my previous description describes the Hebrew culture and language beginning to become distinct ~800 - 600 BCE. Prior to this time period the Hebrews lacked a distinctive language and by the evidence were a pastorial Canaanite tribes or tribe in the Hills of Judea.
                So they had no distinctive culture, yet they had an organized religion and a king. um, yeah. pull the other one.

and you realize "Judea" was one of the tribes of Israel, right? Meaning if they had tribes and lands for those tribes, and a religion and a king, then they had a distinct language and they had a society and culture.

Comment

Goal posts move in 3, 2, 1...

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                    So they had no distinctive culture, yet they had an organized religion and a king. um, yeah. pull the other one.

and you realize "Judea" was one of the tribes of Israel, right? Meaning if they had tribes and lands for those tribes, and a religion and a king, then they had a distinct language and they had a society and culture.
                    First, read again, the Hills of Judea refers to a geographic region, and not a tribe. Reading comprehension a problem here?

Frank

Comment

From your OP:

You realize my references in the past to the Hebrew tribes not have a distinctive culture and language was prior to the period ~900 - 600 BCE. In this period the Hebrews did develop a distinctive language culture, and rulers called kings.

Frank

Comment

You realize my references in the past to the Hebrew tribes not have a distinctive culture and language was prior to the period ~900 - 600 BCE. In this period the Hebrews did develop a distinctive language culture, and rulers called kings.
                        That is a lie Frank. Your claim was that they didn't have a distinct culture until ~600BC
                        That's what
                        - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

What was that Cerebrum said about moving goalposts?
                          Don't call it a comeback. It's a riposte.

Comment

Originally posted by Spartacus View Post
                            What was that Cerebrum said about moving goalposts?
                            I suspect either "Air ball!" or "Duck, Bob, and Weave" are around the corner as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
                              I suspect either "Air ball!" or "Duck, Bob, and Weave" are around the corner as well.
                              My favorites are "splitting frog hairs", and "the sky is Carolina blue on a clear 4th of July at noon."

Comment