Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Deceptiveness in campaign ads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deceptiveness in campaign ads

One particular campaign ad for my state's governor race caught my attention this evening. With emotional, dramatic music and lighting and the shadow of a crying woman, the ad charged that one candidate voted to make rape victims pay for their own rape kits.

This struck me as something where there had to be more to the story, and there was. It turns out that this candidate had voted against a bill where one of the riders banned ever charging women for their own rape kits, but another part of the bill made it easier to allow convicted murderers out on parole. This second part was why he voted against it.

In my opinion, the charge that he actually voted to make women pay for their own rape kits is slanderous (especially because the bill didn't say women had to pay, it just banned local police departments for charging for them). What recourse, if any, should there be for inaccurate and defamatory ads?
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

The problem is that ads like this aren't technically lying, so there's not much anybody can do without overreaching legislation that could potentially do more harm than good. This leaves it up to the competing campaign to set the record straight.

I think the real issue is that we apparently have a lot of voters in this country who make their decision based on ads like this that any reasonable person would know aren't telling the whole story. It's where the term "low-information voter" originated.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

That is the reason riders need to be banned. Each law should cover its own subject.
      That's what
      - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
      - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
      - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
        That is the reason riders need to be banned. Each law should cover its own subject.
        I suspect politicians don't want to do that because they know they'll never get (most of) their pet projects passed.
        I'm not here anymore.

Comment

I saw another campaign ad this morning that was completely misleading but legally couldn't be proved wrong.

In the Republican primary here (in a very conservative area), there are three candidates. The moderate one of the three is the incumbent. He sent out an ad accusing the conservative candidate of being a "California liberal" because she moved here from California several years ago, and it said she "doesn't understand Midwestern values". This lady is actually extremely conservative, more conservative than she is. But "liberal" isn't something with a legal definition so you can't really prove what he said wrong. It was a slimy ad. Using his logic, Ronald Reagan would have been a liberal too because he was from California.

(I don't know how long Rochelle has been here, but she lives on one of my main mail routes and I know she's been here since I started running it about three years ago so it's not like she just moved here yesterday.)
          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
            I suspect politicians don't want to do that because they know they'll never get (most of) their pet projects passed.
            Right. Plus those odious things are part of the larger political negotiating process, which I guess is at least somewhat related to what you said.

It's also why there will never be a lline-item veto power.
            Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment