Announcement

Collapse

General Theistics 101 Guidelines

This area is open for nontheists and theists to interact on issues of theism and faith in a civilized manner. We ask that nontheist participation respect the theistic views of others and not seek to undermine theism in general, or advocate for nontheism. Such posts are more suited for and allowable in Apologetics 301 with very little restriction.

The moderators of this area are given great discretion to determine if a particular thread or comment would more appropriately belong in another forum area.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

On Neil Degrasse's "Cosmos" Remake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
    Just the facts!!!!

Your emotional justification of the Inquisition is disgraceful and dangerous to those who believe differently.
    I'm pretty sure a murderer believes differently than most people.
    Better to illuminate than merely to shine, to deliver to others contemplated truths than merely to contemplate.

-Thomas Aquinas

I love to travel, But hate to arrive.

-Hernando Cortez

What is the good of experience if you do not reflect?

-Frederick 2, Holy Roman Emperor

Comment

Originally posted by TimelessTheist View Post
      I'm pretty sure a murderer believes differently than most people.
      Is that how you qualify and justify your archaic views.
      Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
      Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
      But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Is that how you qualify and justify your archaic views.
        No, I'm saying that to you, it's just teaching a different religion, to the Christian, it's putting someone's eternal salvation in danger. Which, was tolerated when the pagans and Muslims did it in their own territory, but was not tolerated when done within Christendom, for the reasons I just listed.
        Better to illuminate than merely to shine, to deliver to others contemplated truths than merely to contemplate.

-Thomas Aquinas

-Hernando Cortez

Comment

No, I'm saying that to you, it's just teaching a different religion, to the Christian, it's putting someone's eternal salvation in danger. Which, was tolerated when the pagans and Muslims did it in their own territory, but was not tolerated when done within Christendom, for the reasons I just listed.
          The persecution, atrocities and slaughter of others is no justification for your support of persecution, atrocities and slaughter.
          But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Comment

The persecution, atrocities and slaughter of others is no justification for your support of persecution, atrocities and slaughter.
            Slaughter? Woah man, slow down there. The Inquisition only got 2,000 people put to death in about 200 years. To put that in perspective, we have 1,000 people on death row in the U.S. right now. Hardly a "slaughter".

-Thomas Aquinas

-Hernando Cortez

Comment

Most people confuse the Inquisition with the secular trials being conducted at the same time and frequently on similar charges (if memory serves). Those were much more likely to result in execution - great way to free up some land...
              "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Slaughter? Woah man, slow down there. The Inquisition only got 2,000 people put to death in about 200 years. To put that in perspective, we have 1,000 people on death row in the U.S. right now. Hardly a "slaughter".
                I am referring to a broader history of Christianity after Constantine became Christian. The ~2,000 taken out by the Inquisition is only the tip of the iceberg of Christian history. I remains unfortunate that you still justify the Inquisition regardless.

Frank

Comment

I am referring to a broader history of Christianity after Constantine became Christian. The ~2,000 taken out by the Inquisition is only the tip of the iceberg of Christian history. I remains unfortunate that you still justify the Inquisition regardless.
                  Because it was justified....

-Thomas Aquinas

-Hernando Cortez

Comment

Because it was justified....
                    That my friend is the problem in a nut shell.

Frank

Comment

• Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                      That my friend is the problem in a nut shell.
                      Then we'll have to agree to disagree.

-Thomas Aquinas

-Hernando Cortez

Comment

• Calm it down folks.
                        That's what
                        - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                        - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                        - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

• Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                          Calm it down folks.

Nobody has posted in this thread since April with the last post being "Then we'll have to agree to disagree"

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Oh good - I'm not the only one confused...
                            "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                              Oh good - I'm not the only one confused...
                              Bill just did a major clean up in the reported posts section so I think he might have been responding to an earlier complaint.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                                Bill just did a major clean up in the reported posts section so I think he might have been responding to an earlier complaint.
                                Yup. That.
                                That's what
                                - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                                - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                                - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X