Announcement

Collapse

General Theistics 101 Guidelines

This area is open for nontheists and theists to interact on issues of theism and faith in a civilized manner. We ask that nontheist participation respect the theistic views of others and not seek to undermine theism in general, or advocate for nontheism. Such posts are more suited for and allowable in Apologetics 301 with very little restriction.

The moderators of this area are given great discretion to determine if a particular thread or comment would more appropriately belong in another forum area.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

On Neil Degrasse's "Cosmos" Remake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On Neil Degrasse's "Cosmos" Remake

Big surprise: It's crap.

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/godandt...shonestcosmos/
    Better to illuminate than merely to shine, to deliver to others contemplated truths than merely to contemplate.

-Thomas Aquinas

I love to travel, But hate to arrive.

-Hernando Cortez

What is the good of experience if you do not reflect?

-Frederick 2, Holy Roman Emperor

Thanks for bringing this blog to my attention. Judging from this article, it seems like something I'd like.

Comment

Originally posted by Manwë Súlimo View Post
      Thanks for bringing this blog to my attention. Judging from this article, it seems like something I'd like.
      There's no naked women in it...
      "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Well, sod that, then.

Comment

Well. . . I agree that Bruno was not a martyr for science, but I did see a great deal of unfortunate justification for the Inquisition itself.
          Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
          Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
          But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

No matter what political party, religion or lack of religion we may identify with, we should all to be able to agree that a Seth Macfarlane production is always likely to morph into sheer propaganda that's more annoying than funny.
            Learn to do right; seek justice. Defend the oppressed. Take up the cause of the fatherless; plead the case of the widow.--Isaiah 1:17

I don't think that all forms o[f] slavery are inherently immoral.--seer

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
              Well. . . I agree that Bruno was not a martyr for science, but I did see a great deal of unfortunate justification for the Inquisition itself.
              Well, I was never expecting you to support the Inquisition, after all, you are an atheist. Given that the type of government was that of a Christian sovreign state, however, I support it.
              Better to illuminate than merely to shine, to deliver to others contemplated truths than merely to contemplate.

-Thomas Aquinas

-Hernando Cortez

Comment

Bruno is going to become the next Alexandria Library myth, mark my words.

Comment

Originally posted by TimelessTheist View Post
                  Well, I was never expecting you to support the Inquisition, after all, you are an atheist. Given that the type of government was that of a Christian sovreign state, however, I support it.
                  I am not an atheist, such mindless accusations need explanation and justification. It is true, I would never support an Inquisition. I am surprised that anyone in today's would ever even try to justify such inhuman cruelty, torture, murder and persecution. Believing this could justify anything in the name of God against those that believe differently.
                  But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                    I am not an atheist, such mindless accusations need explanation and justification. It is true, I would never support an Inquisition. I am surprised that anyone in today's would ever even try to justify such inhuman cruelty, torture, murder and persecution. Believing this could justify anything in the name of God against those that believe differently.
                    So you're a pagan? Whatever, I don't care anyway. Besides that, I really don't see the Inquisition as you do.

-Thomas Aquinas

-Hernando Cortez

Comment

So you're a pagan?
                      No.

Whatever, I don't care anyway. Besides that, I really don't see the Inquisition as you do.
                      That's unfortunate. Under your rule I would like be the first to burn. Fortunately today you would charged by the World Court for crimes against humanity.

Frank

Comment

That's unfortunate. Under your rule I would like be the first to burn.
                        First off, why? Secondly, not really, unless you're actively teaching falsehoods, in a country where Christianity is the officially recognized state religion, and refuse to stop, that is. Even then, the death penalty would be pretty harsh, unless what you were doing was significantly dangerous, that is.

Fortunately today you would charged by the World Court for crimes against humanity.
                        What? You mean that do-nothing organization known as the UN?
                        Last edited by TimelessTheist; 03-13-2014, 03:19 PM.

-Thomas Aquinas

-Hernando Cortez

Comment

First off, why? Secondly, not really, unless you're actively teaching falsehoods, in a country where Christianity is the officially recognized state religion, and refuse to stop, that is. Even then, the death penalty would be pretty harsh, unless what you were doing was significantly dangerous, that is.
                          Those tortured, and executed in the Inquisition were only believing in a faith outside Roman Church.

What? You mean that do-nothing organization known as the UN?
                          No, your ignorance is only exceeded by your lack of knowledge.

Frank

Comment

Those tortured, and executed in the Inquisition were only believing in a faith outside Roman Church.
                            Well, I can understand that. They were a Christian sovereign government, and there wasn't really any separation of Church and state, so rebelling against the Church was considered high treason. If you wanted to believe in another faith, then you shouldn't be doing it on land ruled over by Christians.

No, your ignorance is only exceeded by your lack of knowledge.
                            Firstly, what's that supposed to mean? Secondly, those are both the same thing.

-Thomas Aquinas

-Hernando Cortez

Comment

Well, I can understand that. They were a Christian sovereign government, and there wasn't really any separation of Church and state, so rebelling against the Church was considered high treason. If you wanted to believe in another faith, then you shouldn't be doing it on land ruled over by Christians.
                              This is bizzaro. and a bit frightening that there are people that still think you do do.

Firstly, what's that supposed to mean? Secondly, those are both the same thing.
                              No, the World Court is not affiliated with the UN.

Frank

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X