Announcement

Collapse

General Theistics 101 Guidelines

This area is open for nontheists and theists to interact on issues of theism and faith in a civilized manner. We ask that nontheist participation respect the theistic views of others and not seek to undermine theism in general, or advocate for nontheism. Such posts are more suited for and allowable in Apologetics 301 with very little restriction.

The moderators of this area are given great discretion to determine if a particular thread or comment would more appropriately belong in another forum area.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

The Baha'i Source some call God(s) and why I believe in God.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by robrecht View Post
    The inflammatory anti-Jewish rhetoric in this particular passage under discussion is, I suspect, pretty obvious to most people, and I do disagree with such rhetoric, but pointing out that I disagree with this rhetoric does not by any stretch of the imagination mean that I am vindictive, bitter, mindless, attacking the Baha'i faith, or dishonest about my genuine respect for he Baha'i philosophy, way of life, or faith. If you think I am lying, I think you have an obligation to support such an accusation. I also have a great deal of respect for the Christian faith, obviously, but that in no way limits my ability to question, criticize, and even condemn the rhetoric or behavior of Christians, especially their use of biblical texts to condemn Jews and the atrocities committed against the Jews over the centuries. Such criticisms and condemnations do not mean that I am dishonest about my Christian faith; nor does my dislike of the rhetoric of this particular text mean that I am dishonest about my respect for Baha'i principles and faith. Why not refrain from the inaccurate ad hominem
    Important context that you are not taking into consideration in understanding Baha'i writings is there is not a literal Satan, evil, hell, satanic, nor neithermost fire. These concepts are descriptive of spiritual attributes in this world and journeys through other worlds. Your ignorance of the Baha'i writings and beliefs as a whole are a barrier from a archaic Christian perspective where these things are a literal reality.
    Last edited by shunyadragon; 09-30-2015, 09:49 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
      Important context that you are not taking into consideration in understanding Baha'i writings is there is not a literal Satan, evil, hell, satanic, nor neithermost fire. These concepts are descriptive of spiritual attributes in this world and journeys through other worlds. Your ignorance of the Baha'i writings and beliefs as a whole are a barrier from a archaic Christian perspective where these things are a literal reality.
      No, I am aware of this, which is why I am focusing on the anti-Jewish rhetoric and trying to get you to address it directly.
      אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

No, I am aware of this, which is why I am focusing on the anti-Jewish rhetoric and trying to get you to address it directly.
        It's interesting to me how often he projects his concept of a simple-minded, pro-evangelist, pro-apologetic Christian on you. I can't help but think that he imagines that all Christians think how he once thought. It's impossible for him to understand how you're able to discuss a topic with a bit of cool awareness and objectivity, and that you can simultaneously hold to your faith while being respectful and appreciative of other faith positions, yet still ask hard questions with sincerity.

I honestly don't know how you have the patience to deal with him though, or why you bother wasting time on him. I admit that it's entertaining to watch, but years of experience at this point ought to be enough to show you that he's sort of locked into his own head, unable and unwilling to discuss anything rationally and honesty. I can only imagine that you're incredibly bored, and find him an enjoyable distraction. I'm often reminded of a cat toying with a mouse for amusement.

It also seems that he underestimates your own academic background. That your point of view on a lot of the material that the two of you go over isn't simply from a lay perspective, as he seems to believe, but from a scholastic one. It's not really relevant to this thread, but I am interested in your academic qualifications. I think I remember you saying in the past that you were trained in NT scholarship at a Catholic seminary, or that you were a monk at one point or something, but that you are no longer associated with the field of NT scholarship professionally. I can understand wanting to keep some of that private, so forgive me for prying. Just curious as I said.

Comment

I have addressed it directly. Your speaking from an archaic Christian perspective where these things represent a literal reality, and throwing rocks from a glass house.

Comment

I have addressed it directly. Your speaking from an archaic Christian perspective where these things represent a literal reality, and throwing rocks from a glass house.

Comment

• All these issues have been addressed. The vindictive arrogant 10,000 monkeys on typewriters continues.

If you were an atheists arguing against the Theism of Christianity, Islam and the Baha'i Faith, then your argument would have some consistency, but at present it is a hypocritical argument of throwing stones from a glass house.

Comment

All these issues have been addressed.
                Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                The vindictive arrogant 10,000 monkeys on typewriters continues.
                Ad hominem and inaccurate characterizations of my motives or demeanor and insulting remarks do a great job of highlighting your lack of substantive response to these specific questions.

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                If you were an atheists arguing against the Theism of Christianity, Islam and the Baha'i Faith, then your argument would have some consistency, but at present it is a hypocritical argument of throwing stones from a glass house.

Comment

Ad hominem
                  Ad hominem and inaccurate characterizations of my motives or demeanor and insulting remarks do a great job of highlighting your lack of substantive response to these specific questions.

Comment

More insults. Good argument, Shuny.

Comment

Yes you offer only more insults in response to a good argument.

Comment

Yes you offer only more insults in response to a good argument.
                        How have I insulted you now?

Comment

How have I insulted you now?
                          Actually you have been more insulting of the Baha'i Faith concerning accusations of anti-Semitism, and than pretending some vague respect.

Hiding behind glass walls and chucking boulders.
                          Last edited by shunyadragon; 10-01-2015, 08:27 AM.

Comment

I think shunya inadvertently quoted your words as his; the only new words here contain his accusation of hypocrisy.
                            Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                            sigpic
                            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Actually you have been more insulting of the Baha'i Faith concerning accusations of anti-Semitism, and than pretending some vague respect.

Hiding behind glass walls and chucking boulders.

Comment

... I do still find the rhetoric objectionable, and I would have thought you also would object to such rhetoric.

Comment