Announcement

Collapse

Philosophy 201 Guidelines

Cogito ergo sum

Here in the Philosophy forum we will talk about all the "why" questions. We'll have conversations about the way in which philosophy and theology and religion interact with each other. Metaphysics, ontology, origins, truth? They're all fair game so jump right in and have some fun! But remember...play nice!

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Philosophical Arguments against Same-Sex Marriage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by seer View Post
    If there is no teleology (inherent or designed purpose) for human sexuality then I can not see any good argument against same sex marriage, but then again I can't see any good argument against bestiality either.
    Then this is a clear deficit of your moral thinking skills and abilities.
    Blog: Atheism and the City

If your whole worldview rests on a particular claim being true, you damn well better have evidence for it. You should have tons of evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaxb View Post
      Are there any good philosophical arguments against same-sex marriage?

I was thinking that the purposes of marriage include the following: to provide companionship, to procreate, and to provide an environment for raising children. Same-sex marriages cannot fulfill all of those purposes so they should not be allowed. Someone could object by saying that this argument leads to the conclusion that infertile heterosexual couples should not be allowed to marry because they cannot fulfill all of those purposes. How would you respond this?

Have there been any social scientific studies done investigating whether same-sex couples can provide a good environment for raising children?

Do you think that the only good arguments against same-sex marriage are biblical arguments?
      There are no good arguments against SSM, even the biblical ones are really bad.

The purpose of marriage is not fixed. It doesn't have to involve procreation. Two elderly infertile people can get married and no one would say that there marriage isn't legitimate due to their infertility. The purpose of marriage is really to afford legal benefits to those involved.

If your whole worldview rests on a particular claim being true, you damn well better have evidence for it. You should have tons of evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by The Thinker View Post
        Then this is a clear deficit of your moral thinking skills and abilities.
        How so? If there is no teleology for human sexuality then what would be wrong with bestiality? Have you ever read Peter Singer's Heavy Petting?
        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

How so? If there is no teleology for human sexuality then what would be wrong with bestiality? Have you ever read Peter Singer's Heavy Petting?
          Really, you can't think of any reason other than teleology why something is wrong?

Try.

Comment

Really, you can't think of any reason other than teleology why something is wrong?

Try.
            In other words you can not answer, eh?
            Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Try.
              When it comes to sexual behavior with animals - no...
              Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Just asking as I surely don't know but: If we personify community and think about it in evolutionary and survival terms could we make an argument that the male/female/family dynamic that nature has provided in such an exclusive way regarding procreation highly suggests its' advantage for species continuation? That to deviate from that model and to not just allow but champion in society other unions is a move toward a weaker and less stable community? Is there evidence from the past that unbridled public expressions of all manner of sexual unions and acts results overtime in societal collapse?

Sorry for just asking a series of questions but again I don't know the answers. I find it an interesting line of thought and a possible philosophical argument that the OP is asking for.
                Last edited by Jude; 10-11-2016, 05:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jude View Post
                  Just asking as I surely don't know but: If we personify community and think about it in evolutionary and survival terms could we make an argument that the male/female/family dynamic that nature has provided in such an exclusive way regarding procreation highly suggests its' advantage for species continuation? That to deviate from that model and to not just allow but champion in society other unions is a move toward a weaker and less stable community? Is there evidence from the past that unbridled public expressions of all manner of sexual unions and acts results overtime in societal collapse?

Sorry for just asking a series of questions but again I don't know the answers. I find it an interesting line of thought and a possible philosophical argument that the OP is asking for.
                  The key word here is 'exclusive.' Yes, evolution does provide a way of procreation, but in nature procreation is not the only purpose of sexual relationships in higher mammals.
                  Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                  Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                  But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                    The key word here is 'exclusive.' Yes, evolution does provide a way of procreation, but in nature procreation is not the only purpose of sexual relationships in higher mammals.
                    Agree but procreation is the only mechanism of species continuation to date so should be more valuably considered.

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                      In other words you can not answer, eh?
                      Of course I can answer that question. I'm trying to challenge seer who is morally inept.

Comment

When it comes to sexual behavior with animals - no...
                        Ok, why is it wrong to have sex with children?

I assume you think this is wrong btw.

Comment

Ok, why is it wrong to have sex with children?

I assume you think this is wrong btw.
                          No Thinker, you are not going to answer me with a question. So what is morally wrong with have sex with an animal? Or don't you have a rational answer?

Comment

No Thinker, you are not going to answer me with a question. So what is morally wrong with have sex with an animal? Or don't you have a rational answer?
                            The same reason it's wrong to have sex with a child.

Comment

The same reason it's wrong to have sex with a child.
                              Why? Because it may cause long term psychological harm to the animal? If you are speaking of consent then that is a non-starter. We don't ask consent when we kill and eat a cow. So put up Thinker.

Comment

Why? Because it may cause long term psychological harm to the animal? If you are speaking of consent then that is a non-starter. We don't ask consent when we kill and eat a cow. So put up Thinker.
                                No it is not a non-starter, because killing and eating a cow is also wrong. Just like me killing and eating you is.

Comment