Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Sheriff Joe Arpaio in Trouble with Obama Admin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sheriff Joe Arpaio in Trouble with Obama Admin

http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/...empt/91901204/

The U.S. Department of Justice officials have opted to pursue a criminal contempt charge against Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio for violating a federal court’s orders in a racial-profiling case.

The move has few precedents in U.S. history, as prosecutors endorsed a federal judge's findings that the lawman intentionally violated the judge's orders.

Arpaio has not yet officially been charged. U.S. District Judge Susan Bolton asked the federal government to write an order to show cause, by Wednesday, for her to sign. That will serve as a charging document for the case to go forward against Arpaio only.

The announcement came Tuesday at the case’s first criminal hearing in downtown Phoenix’s federal court.

DOJ attorney John Keller said the government will continue to investigate additional allegations against Arpaio, two aides and a defense attorney for concealing evidence — and therefore obstruction of justice — but will not proceed with a criminal case at this time.

Keller said the statute of limitations may have run out for other criminal contempt allegations against Arpaio and the three others.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

First thing that pops into my mind is -- what did he do that was right that ticked off Obama? That's just the automatic default.

Comment

The first thing I thought when I saw the thread title was, "He must be doing something right."

Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
      sigpic
      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Keep the feds out of state business.
          Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Obama doesn't even seem to be involved in this.

As for the case itself, I do not know enough about the specifics to weigh in as to whether this is warranted or not.

Comment

Originally posted by Terraceth View Post
              Obama doesn't even seem to be involved in this.

As for the case itself, I do not know enough about the specifics to weigh in as to whether this is warranted or not.
              It's his justice department.

The U.S. Department of Justice officials have opted to pursue a criminal contempt charge against Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio for violating a federal court’s orders in a racial-profiling case.

The move has few precedents in U.S. history, as prosecutors endorsed a federal judge's findings that the lawman intentionally violated the judge's orders.

Arpaio has not yet officially been charged. U.S. District Judge Susan Bolton asked the federal government to write an order to show cause, by Wednesday, for her to sign. That will serve as a charging document for the case to go forward against Arpaio only.

The announcement came Tuesday at the case’s first criminal hearing in downtown Phoenix’s federal court.

DOJ attorney John Keller said the government will continue to investigate additional allegations against Arpaio, two aides and a defense attorney for concealing evidence — and therefore obstruction of justice — but will not proceed with a criminal case at this time.

Keller said the statute of limitations may have run out for other criminal contempt allegations against Arpaio and the three others.
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

They are after him big time...

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/arp...TvE?li=BBnb7Kz

PHOENIX (AP) — The U.S. Justice Department's promise to file a criminal contempt-of-court charge against the longtime sheriff of metro Phoenix comes less than a month before the 84-year-old lawman will learn whether he gets a seventh term in office.

Sheriff Joe Arpaio will face the possibility of jail time and a clouded political future when prosecutors file a misdemeanor contempt charge against him for defying a judge's orders to end his signature immigration patrols. The charge is expected to be filed Wednesday.

Arpaio, who didn't attend a hearing Tuesday in his contempt case, could face up to six months in jail if convicted of misdemeanor contempt.

The sheriff issued a statement saying he was confident he would be exonerated and accused President Barack Obama's administration of trying to influence the sheriff's race.

"It is no coincidence that this announcement comes 28 days before the election and the day before early voting starts," Arpaio said. "It is a blatant abuse of power and the people of Maricopa County should be as outraged as I am."

But the most interesting part is this:

The contempt case also focused on Arpaio's actions in carrying out what critics said was a secret investigation of federal Judge G. Murray Snow in the case. Snow demanded Arpaio and an aide turn over 50 hard drives that were part of the probe, but they ignored the order.

So, it's contempt of court to not turn over subpoenaed hard drives (Arpaio), but it's not contempt to not turn over a chunk of the content of those hard drives (Hillary)... Got it...
                That's what
                - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                  So, it's contempt of court to not turn over subpoenaed hard drives (Arpaio), but it's not contempt to not turn over a chunk of the content of those hard drives (Hillary)... Got it...
                  Plus, the focus on Hillary from the FBI director was that there was "no intent" - same in this case, but a totally different standard.

Comment