Announcement

Collapse

Deeper Waters Forum Guidelines

Notice – The ministries featured in this section of TheologyWeb are guests of this site and in some cases not bargaining for the rough and tumble world of debate forums, though sometimes they are. Additionally, this area is frequented and highlighted for guests who also very often are not acclimated to debate fora. As such, the rules of conduct here will be more strict than in the general forum. This will be something within the discretion of the Moderators and the Ministry Representative, but we simply ask that you conduct yourselves in a manner considerate of the fact that these ministries are our invited guests. You can always feel free to start a related thread in general forum without such extra restrictions. Thank you.

Deeper Waters is founded on the belief that the Christian community has long been in the shallow end of Christianity while there are treasures of the deep waiting to be discovered. Too many in the shallow end are not prepared when they go out beyond those waters and are quickly devoured by sharks. We wish to aid Christians to equip them to navigate the deeper waters of the ocean of truth and come up with treasure in the end.

We also wish to give special aid to those often neglected, that is, the disabled community. This is especially so since our founders are both on the autism spectrum and have a special desire to reach those on that spectrum. While they are a special emphasis, we seek to help others with any disability realize that God can use them and that they are as the Psalmist says, fearfully and wonderfully made.

General TheologyWeb forum rules: here.
See more
See less

On being a current apologist: A response to Randy Hardman

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
    I'd say the issue of war reporting is fairly unique because by its nature it is going to contain some (I hate to use this word because it has so many connotations but Enns uses it and it does fit) propaganda.
    Yes, propaganda but also blistering honesty. I think of when the Jews killed the innocents in the tribe of Benjamin.

Other types of narrative may be less likely to run into this issue and might be more straightforward. Disclosure: I'm not familiar with the standard apologetic approaches to the Elisha bear incident, but I tend to take it straight up without knowing anything more about the issue.
    Please define "take it straight." As in you have faith those are true events?

Comment

Originally posted by whag View Post
      Please define "take it straight." As in you have faith those are true events?
      Basically, that's my default position until the evidence points elsewhere.
      "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Basically, that's my default position until the evidence points elsewhere.
        Does the default position require effort to believe or is doubt not an issue at all? I'm just wondering if it's necessary to put labor into believing stories not relevant to salvation.

Comment

Does the default position require effort to believe or is doubt not an issue at all? I'm just wondering if it's necessary to put labor into believing stories not relevant to salvation.
          Not this particular one, no. I don't have a problem trusting God on moral judgments given the wider implications of God's nature in the Christian worldview. Speaking personally, in the past, it was more of a struggle when I felt I had to take Genesis more literally because the cognitive dissonance was ever-looming. But that was because of specific evidence, not because of moral difficulty.
          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Not this particular one, no. I don't have a problem trusting God on moral judgments given the wider implications of God's nature in the Christian worldview. Speaking personally, in the past, it was more of a struggle when I felt I had to take Genesis more literally because the cognitive dissonance was ever-looming. But that was because of specific evidence, not because of moral difficulty.
            I was referring to extraordinary events like Elisha and the rent children, not the midian affair that you determined was tribal braggadocio. You said you took it straight, which I assumed meant you believe everything in the Bible unless evidence arises contradicting it.

If I understood you correctly that you believe everything in the OT by default (save for creation and a global flood), I was asking if it took effort to keep doubt at bay.

Comment

I was referring to extraordinary events like Elisha and the rent children, not the midian affair that you determined was tribal braggadocio. You said you took it straight, which I assumed meant you believe everything in the Bible unless evidence arises contradicting it.

If I understood you correctly that you believe everything in the OT by default (save for creation and a global flood), I was asking if it took effort to keep doubt at bay.
              No, it really doesn't. Christian faith is firmly grounded in the resurrection of Jesus, and with that in mind, whatever comes up about the OT, whether it's the latest archaeological finding in the news or whatever, I can just say "Cool, so maybe that's what happened" and not worry about whether the whole edifice comes down.

Comment

No, it really doesn't. Christian faith is firmly grounded in the resurrection of Jesus, and with that in mind, whatever comes up about the OT, whether it's the latest archaeological finding in the news or whatever, I can just say "Cool, so maybe that's what happened" and not worry about whether the whole edifice comes down.
                So something like sons of god mating with women on the earth is believed by default unless proven otherwise?
                What if a Christian like Enns finds that hard to believe even without direct evidence that it didn't happen?

Comment

So something like sons of god mating with women on the earth is believed by default unless proven otherwise?
                  What if a Christian like Enns finds that hard to believe even without direct evidence that it didn't happen?
                  Enns would be the first to point out that Genesis 1-11 is clearly in response to Mesopotamian myth and has to be considered separately from the rest of Scripture. The account you mention appears there.

Comment

Ultimately, Christianity is about the divinity of Jesus, not about the divinity of the Bible. It is not a religion that one can try to deflate by poking a few holes in the Bible here and there.

Comment

Enns would be the first to point out that Genesis 1-11 is clearly in response to Mesopotamian myth and has to be considered separately from the rest of Scripture. The account you mention appears there.
                      Maybe that's what's driving Enns. He might be too winded explaining to Christians that Babel is a myth and not history. Like you're too winded to explain to Christians why evolution isnt the greatest hoax ever believed.

Some people are very resistant to being told some of their favorite scriptures are myth. You'd think this would be a liberating thing for some to hear and give them some freedom to wander off the beach blanket.

Comment

Ultimately, Christianity is about the divinity of Jesus, not about the divinity of the Bible. It is not a religion that one can try to deflate by poking a few holes in the Bible here and there.
                        Tell that to those giving Enns a hard time. People like James White and Greg Koukl think he's dangerous because of his views on biblical errancy.

Comment

I've read a few more Enns articles since last post. The more I think about it, I realize he's right about conquest apologetics. CA has a main argument that alone doesn't convince, and so other arguments justifying the violence in the human rational mind must be presented. One of those arguments made by Craig--the children were thrown into the arms of Jesus--really doesn't resonate at all. It sounds like creepy proabort speak.

Comment