Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Trump, the lesser of two evils, and Christianity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trump, the lesser of two evils, and Christianity

I have seen Christians inside and outside of this forum say that although they find Trump morally repugnant, they are voting for him as the lesser of two evils. This stance strikes me as hypocritical because voting for the lesser of two evils is an act of moral relativism, which is antithetical to Christian morality. Choosing "the lesser of two evils" means that although both choices are immoral, relative to the worst choice, the other is moral. Thus, whether an act is moral or immoral depends upon those choices relative to one another as opposed to an objective moral standard. "The lesser of two evils" can be applied to any dilemma which requires a decision that concerns God's law and would compel anyone to choose to go against God's law as long as they avoid the worst choice. The chooser is claiming that it is necessary to sin.

"Enter not into the path of the wicked, and go not in the way of evil men. Avoid it, pass not by it, turn from it, and pass away." - Proverbs 4:14-15

In addition to justifying immorality, the idea that one must choose the lesser of two evils is also incorrect. When the devil tempts Jesus in Matthew 4, he repeatedly gives him two options: betray his morals or admit he is not the Son of God. Each time, Jesus rejects the devil's false dilemma by referring to the Word of God. In other words, Jesus rejects the moral relativism of choosing a lesser of two evils by standing by the objective good of God. Likewise, voting for Trump or Hillary is a false dilemma that ignores the existence of the Law. So how is it that one can vote for a candidate they consider immoral and still call oneself a Christian?

I'm a lot more open to utilitarianism than a lot of Christians are though I don't consider myself a pure utilitarian. My thoughts on situational ethics are largely summed up by John Stackhouse's book Making the Best of It. (He's a moderate evangelical from Canada who has also blogged a lot about the election. He does seem to agree with some of your observations here, about Christians being overly tempted by worldly power.)

I don't believe in using the wisdom literature (like Proverbs) as providing hard and fast rules but rather prefer to look to them as providing general guidance. (Many Christians have assumed otherwise and have been confused why their adult children have strayed from Christianity in light of Proverbs 22:6, which they assumed was an unbreakable promise.) I don't believe Matthew 4 is applicable here, either. In a fallen world, any candidate (or person) is going to be imperfect. That doesn't mean we shouldn't rely on or trust other people at all. This stance isn't consistent with what we see in the rest of the New Testament.
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Easy. It is possible to sin either by commission or omission. If not voting, or voting for a third party, makes it more likely that the greater evil will win, then that is a sin of omission - doing nothing allows the greater evil to prevail. In that case a Christian would be morally bound to vote for the lesser evil.
      Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
      sigpic
      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Glenn Peoples argues that there is no such thing as "lesser evil" - if an option is preferable, it is by definition not evil.
        "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
          Glenn Peoples argues that there is no such thing as "lesser evil" - if an option is preferable, it is by definition not evil.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
            That's not very convincing, what do you see as wrong with his statement?

Comment

The rational here is much like Pig's post. I am not voting for the lesser of two evils, I am voting for what I see as the best hope for the future of the United States. That is not evil, even if we concede that Trump is evil (and that is not my job to decide).
              Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

I still think that our assisting the Soviets during WWII in order to defeat the Nazis was in many ways picking the lesser of two evils.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Psychic Missile View Post
                  . So how is it that one can vote for a candidate they consider immoral and still call oneself a Christian?
                  Moral inconsistency. Moral relativism. The belief, perhaps unacknowledged, that the ends justify the means.
                  "Down in the lowlands, where the water is deep,
                  Hear my cry, hear my shout,
                  Save me, save me"

Comment

That's not very convincing, what do you see as wrong with his statement?
                    I mean, that's like saying a disease that is preferable isn't a disease. Strep throat and cancer for example. Strep throat is preferable since it's easily cured, but many forms of cancer are not. They both still bad, and still diseases. In some recent videos on Acts 17's youtube channel they compare Islam's prophet Mohammed to Trump. I would prefer even Hillary to Mohammed, but that doesn't somehow make her not evil.

Comment

I have seen Christians inside and outside of this forum say that although they find Trump morally repugnant, they are voting for him as the lesser of two evils.
                      It's a sacrifice in hopes of a greater good - SCOTUS, etc.
                      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                        Easy. It is possible to sin either by commission or omission. If not voting, or voting for a third party, makes it more likely that the greater evil will win, then that is a sin of omission - doing nothing allows the greater evil to prevail. In that case a Christian would be morally bound to vote for the lesser evil.
                        You are not compelled to interfere with every possible immoral outcome. You are not meant fight against all the worlds ills like hunger, injustice, slavery, warfare, etc. Jesus helped those he came upon in his wanderings, but he did not solve everyone's problems. When he died, he did not free the world from all sin, he gave everyone the choice to follow him and receive absolution. He allowed evils to prevail through his inaction, but he has the hope that his example is followed. Voting in a large-scale situation like the election of the US President is not an individual effort, it is a collective effort. When someone votes third party or lives as a vegetarian or doesn't pollute or follows the Law, they do not expect significant change. They expect to set an example, knowing that if everyone else joined them, the world would be a better place. Your voting does nothing to change the outcome, but you vote in the hope that others join you. Why then do you not vote third party of abstain in the hope that others join you? In Matthew 7, Jesus says "Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat: Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it." You are called to set a good example, not to compromise and take part in the sins of the masses.

Comment

It is also by definition moral relativism and by definition not Christianity.

Comment

...Voting in a large-scale situation like the election of the US President is not an individual effort, it is a collective effort. When someone votes third party or lives as a vegetarian or doesn't pollute or follows the Law, they do not expect significant change. They expect to set an example, knowing that if everyone else joined them, the world would be a better place.''
                            When I'm in the voting booth, I am there individually, and there is nobody there to see what I do to follow my example.
                            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                              It's a sacrifice in hopes of a greater good - SCOTUS, etc.
                              You could also call it giving in to temptation.

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                              When I'm in the voting booth, I am there individually, and there is nobody there to see what I do to follow my example.
                              So why vote for a candidate that you expect to lose?

Comment