Announcement

Collapse

Pro-Life Activism 301 Guidelines

This area is for pro-life activists to discuss issues related to abortion. It is NOT a debate area, and it is not OK for pro-choice activists to post here.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Do babies have thoughts in the womb?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
    That might not be the best idea. Would you play classical music in a newborn's bassinet? Don't wake the baby!
    Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture including cannon fire

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
      They certainly have basic reactions even in the womb, but there's not much reason to consider that anything like actual thought.
      Define thought. Do you need a language first? Don't you also need to be self-aware?
      If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
        You will then be in charge of getting the baby calmed down and back to sleep...

Comment

You will then be in charge of getting the baby calmed down and back to sleep...
          Naw, just crank up Rossini's William Tell Overture loud enough until you can't hear the crying.

Can you guess I don't have any kids?

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Naw, just crank up Rossini's William Tell Overture loud enough until you can't hear the crying.

Can you guess I don't have any kids?
            You aren't allowed to babysit your younger relatives anymore, are you?

Comment

It was that incident where he decided to try out his new chili recipe on the babies.
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Actually, I get asked repeatedly by friends and relatives. They all keep telling me how I would make an excellent father. I know better.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                  It was that incident where he decided to try out his new chili recipe on the babies.
                  And here I thought it was my Tequila for Kids idea

Comment

That might be a bit much. But there is a lot of classical music that is not loud.
                    Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Otherwise known as the "this is the cereal that's shot from guns" music.
                      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
                        They certainly have basic reactions even in the womb, but there's not much reason to consider that anything like actual thought.
                        You can only think about what you know about. A baby's experience is quite limited, so their thinking would be quite limited. If you deny the baby is actually thinking, then you have to come up with some magical point at which what goes on is now real thinking. This is too much like the magical point of attaining personhood for my way of thinking.

Edited to add the word magical, and the final sentence.
                        Last edited by Jedidiah; 10-22-2016, 07:59 PM.
                        Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

I heard that the kids decided to go do some experiments at Roguetech. They may have gotten super powers. Or just ended up at the hospital..

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                            You can only think about what you know about. A baby's experience is quite limited, so their thinking would be quite limited. If you deny the baby is actually thinking, then you have to come up with some point at which what goes on is now real thinking.
                            It probably depends on the kid. And it would presumably be gradual. A zygote or embryo can't be thinking about anything. A three year old child is clearly thinking. But you can't pinpoint a day when a baby magically starts to think.

Comment

I heard that the kids decided to go do some experiments at Roguetech. They may have gotten super powers. Or just ended up at the hospital..
                              They are not mutually exclusive

Comment

Define thought. Do you need a language first? Don't you also need to be self-aware?
                                There's not a real definition for 'thought'. Call it a linking together of discrete events. Rudimentary thought may be as simple as anticipating cause-effect. You don't need language or self-awareness to have thought. There are plenty of non-human animals that we believe can think without having either one.
                                I'm not here anymore.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X