Announcement

Collapse

Fraternity Guidelines

This is a guy's only forum. No girls allowed. Male bonding time.

In here we can leave the seat up, drink from the carton and talk about manly things without fear of the ladies butting in. You know how they can be.

But remember, always play by the rules: here
See more
See less

Adulting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adulting

At some point I will finally find my way off the precarious perch ofadolescent growth. Untill then I just try to deal with my problems.

I must admit I am not entirely sure what I will do with my life. I have plans of course but plans do chsnge.
    sigpic

I never did really figure out what I wanted to do with my life, but here I am.
    Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

So be "generally" prepared.
      Take the basics required in college, prepared to specialize in whichever direction, etc.

Figure out what your passion is.

The best advice my Dad gave me goes something like this....
      There are jobs where you get paid 'squat', but you love going to work.
      There are jobs where you get paid MUCHO, but hate going to work.
      Find something in the middle.
      If you can actually find something you love to do that pays well, you've hit the jackpot.

In the late 70's/early 80's, I discovered I liked computers, and had a knack for them.
      I also noticed that "computer programs" were VERY expensive.
      (There were not yet a bunch of "off the shelf" applications for $29 or $49 - you either bought a very expensive program, or you paid somebody ungodly sums of money to perpetually write you one)

I got a copy of Ashton Tate's dBase, and started writing a 'church attendance and tracking' program for our Church - there were none affordably available.
      A Church of Christ preacher friend came by one day to invite me to lunch, and he saw my "Church Mouse" program. He asked how much I would charge to write one like that for his Church.

CHARGE?!?!?!?! I could CHARGE for that?!?!?!?!

And my business was born. I started helping people set up computers, learn how to use them, install software, and that turned into building clones, upgrading PCs....

I found something I loved doing, and found a way to get paid big bucks to do it!
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Even at my age there are those occasional mornings that I wake up wishing that I didn't have to "adult" that day.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I didn't know what I wanted to do--as in career--until I had a degree in electrical engineering and a job at an engineering firm. At that point I basically thought, "Well, this sounds alright," and my opinion hasn't really changed in the five years since.
          I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

The only thing I know about what I want to do with my life is that it's not what I'm currently doing with my life. I just don't know what that means.

I'm currently sitting more on the side of 'paid mucho but hate going to work', but I'm usually right in the middle. Just enough to be discontent but not enough to inspire change.
            I'm not here anymore.

Comment

It was in Bible College that I found apologetics. That's what made it so interesting.

I was getting so upset at my professors. They were giving me all these books to read. How could they do that? These books were keeping me away from all these books I was wanting to read.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                Even at my age there are those occasional mornings that I wake up wishing that I didn't have to "adult" that day.
                The mornings of those days whose names end in "day"?
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                  The mornings of those days whose names end in "day"?
                  That's just astounding that you figurated that out

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                    So be "generally" prepared.
                    Take the basics required in college, prepared to specialize in whichever direction, etc.

Figure out what your passion is.

The best advice my Dad gave me goes something like this....
                    There are jobs where you get paid 'squat', but you love going to work.
                    There are jobs where you get paid MUCHO, but hate going to work.
                    Find something in the middle.
                    If you can actually find something you love to do that pays well, you've hit the jackpot.
                    THAT!

In the late 70's/early 80's, I discovered I liked computers, and had a knack for them.
                    I also noticed that "computer programs" were VERY expensive.
                    (There were not yet a bunch of "off the shelf" applications for $29 or $49 - you either bought a very expensive program, or you paid somebody ungodly sums of money to perpetually write you one)

I got a copy of Ashton Tate's dBase, and started writing a 'church attendance and tracking' program for our Church - there were none affordably available.
                    A Church of Christ preacher friend came by one day to invite me to lunch, and he saw my "Church Mouse" program. He asked how much I would charge to write one like that for his Church.

CHARGE?!?!?!?! I could CHARGE for that?!?!?!?!

And my business was born. I started helping people set up computers, learn how to use them, install software, and that turned into building clones, upgrading PCs....

I found something I loved doing, and found a way to get paid big bucks to do it!
                    cool.

I started out in school loving art. Drawing, painting, etc. But I figured there is no way I can make money as an artist. My other hobby was science and electronics. I loved to make gadgets and stuff. Late in high school I discovered computers. I played with some mainframes and thought it was neat but didn't really think much about it.

After high school I decided to skip art and get into electronics, so I went to school for that. Then halfway through the personal computers were becoming popular so I switched to digital electronics/computer science. I got a job doing electrical/electronics work and they had a computer there that I played with from time to time. Got a personal computer (Atari 400) and learned BASIC and did art and stuff on the computer. Learned UNIX and stuff at work. Moved from the electronics dept to the engineering dept and did the electrical designs for the company. Eventually got autocad. did that for several years. Kept playing with graphics and stuff on my home computers (Amigas at that time)

Then I lost my job at that company. Decided to go back to school and become a graphic artist using computers. Also started learning web site design on my own. Got a job as a creative director at a graphic design studio, doing video, graphics, web sites, etc.

So really, no matter what you plan, it is likely to end up with several "careers" throughout your life. I was lucky in that I found a way to combine by two interests: electronics/computers and art.

My current job pays pretty well, and I like it. I work at a law firm now. Still doing computers and graphics and litigation support. I would never have guessed that I would end up at a law firm after starting out wiring electrical panels.
                    Last edited by Sparko; 10-25-2016, 10:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko
                      I would never have guessed that I would end up at a law firm after starting out wiring electrical panels.
                      I'm shocked.

My advice: be flexible (especially when you're young). Try and figure out what you enjoy doing (you're usually good at it). Do you like working with people? Do you prefer working with things? Ask people who know you well what you're good at. Lean on the side of satisfaction rather than on the side of money if you have to choose between the two. The best, most productive hours of a big chunk of your life are spent at work - find something you believe in and is worthwhile.

Oh... always have time for God.
                      ...>>> Witty remark or snarky quote of another poster goes here <<<...

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...
                      X