Thread: Structural writing question--your opinion

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

Structural writing question--your opinion

I don't really know how to describe this question; it's somewhat structural, I guess.

For background info: I'm nearing the end of my draft. I have maybe 7,000 words left, give or take. Thus far I've consistently alternated chapters between two first-person narrators. (e.g., Chapter 1=Character A, Chapter 2=Character B, Chapter 3=A, Chapter 4=B, etc.)

I've written to a point where it would seem to make sense from a narrative standpoint to write a chapter from a third character's perspective. This isn't a new character; in fact he's been in it from the beginning. But I'm not sure it makes sense from a technical writing perspective, writing a POV from a different character so late in the book, and in such a one-off fashion. Should I avoid that sort of thing?

I'm only tentatively considering this as an option. I'm not 100% sure how all of the ending is going to go down, so this might not be the best route even if it's acceptable from a technical standpoint.
    Hofstadter's Law: It will always take longer than you expect, even if you take into account Hofstadter's Law.

"Metal is an apple--everything's good but the core."

Faith
    Non-Theist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    It can work, but it will depend on how you go about it IMO. Say Character B dies in an event that Character A isn't present for, you could bring in Character C as filler to explain what happened. That said, it would probably make more sense to have a conversation where C explains to A what happened, that way you can stick to A's POV without missing story.

As a general rule, I'd say to keep the characters with POV portions consistent throughout. That wouldn't apply if you're making a literary version of a video montage of people telling their side of a story to form a whole.

I'm not sure if that's helpful...short answer is do whatever you want as long as it's not jarring.
    I'm not here anymore.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Carrikature View Post
    It can work, but it will depend on how you go about it IMO. Say Character B dies in an event that Character A isn't present for, you could bring in Character C as filler to explain what happened. That said, it would probably make more sense to have a conversation where C explains to A what happened, that way you can stick to A's POV without missing story.

As a general rule, I'd say to keep the characters with POV portions consistent throughout. That wouldn't apply if you're making a literary version of a video montage of people telling their side of a story to form a whole.

I'm not sure if that's helpful...short answer is do whatever you want as long as it's not jarring.
    That's pretty much my thinking. I'm going to try to avoid it for now, and just see how it plays out.
    Hofstadter's Law: It will always take longer than you expect, even if you take into account Hofstadter's Law.

"Metal is an apple--everything's good but the core."

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    What does your heart TV Tropes tell you?
    We are therefore Christ's ambassadors, as though God were making his appeal through us. We implore on Christ's behalf: 'Be reconciled to God!!'
    - 2 Corinthians 5:20.
    In deviantArt: ll-bisto-ll.deviantart.com
    Christian art and more: Christians.deviantart.com

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zymologist View Post
    I don't really know how to describe this question; it's somewhat structural, I guess.

For background info: I'm nearing the end of my draft. I have maybe 7,000 words left, give or take. Thus far I've consistently alternated chapters between two first-person narrators. (e.g., Chapter 1=Character A, Chapter 2=Character B, Chapter 3=A, Chapter 4=B, etc.)

I've written to a point where it would seem to make sense from a narrative standpoint to write a chapter from a third character's perspective. This isn't a new character; in fact he's been in it from the beginning. But I'm not sure it makes sense from a technical writing perspective, writing a POV from a different character so late in the book, and in such a one-off fashion. Should I avoid that sort of thing?

I'm only tentatively considering this as an option. I'm not 100% sure how all of the ending is going to go down, so this might not be the best route even if it's acceptable from a technical standpoint.
    Wonder

download.jpg

switches between narrators willy-nilly. It was published. I wouldn't worry too much about it. A compelling story is the thing.
    "Shall we mourn here deedless forever, a shadow-folk, mist-haunting, dropping vain tears in the
    thankless sea?"

6. Amen mossrose amen'd this post.