Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: To SSD Or Not SSD

Faith
    Non-Theist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

To SSD Or Not SSD

That is the question.

My mobo died, and replacing it means new everything because chipsets changed. I'm in the process of upgrading from my existing system that's ~4yrs old.

I have a 1TB HDD. I think it's still good. I'm wondering if I should keep it primary or turn it into a secondary with a SSD primary.
    I'm not here anymore.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Well, SSD primary with the 1 TB as a storage device is at least the normal configuration. SSD's are still relatively expensive compared to HDD's...So, it all depends on your cost concerns IMO.
    "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I have a surface pro 4 with an SSD and while it sure boots faster, other than that I don't really notice that much speed difference over my regular laptop with a regular hard drive. Longer battery life is a plus.

Mostly the SSD helps with loading files into RAM, so booting, loading programs, saving data are all faster. If you don't do a lot of file accessing I would just stick with a normal hard drive if you want to save money. And even with the SSD the speed difference is not THAT huge.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I have a relatively low-tier and small SSD as my primary, and a 1 TB HDD for my secondary, and I think it works great. My only regret is not getting a bigger SSD.
    Hofstadter's Law: It will always take longer than you expect, even if you take into account Hofstadter's Law.

"Metal is an apple--everything's good but the core."

Faith
    Non-Theist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Let's say price isn't really a concern but I'm not looking to spend more than $200 on an SSD. A lot of what I'm doing is gaming or streaming, but I don't know that an SSD impacts that at all. I guess I'm just not sure what the point of an SSD is.
    I'm not here anymore.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Carrikature View Post
    Let's say price isn't really a concern but I'm not looking to spend more than $200 on an SSD. A lot of what I'm doing is gaming or streaming, but I don't know that an SSD impacts that at all. I guess I'm just not sure what the point of an SSD is.
    I boot significantly faster with an SSD. That's the biggest difference.
    Hofstadter's Law: It will always take longer than you expect, even if you take into account Hofstadter's Law.

"Metal is an apple--everything's good but the core."

Child of the One True King Raphael's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    We just bought a new desktop to use as a server in our small office, 250GB SSD and 2TB HDD. The big thing is having the OS and the swap space on the SSD, that will improve some speeds of the spinning rust.

so yeah, get the SSD as the primary.
    TheologyWeb Needs YOU! - Please Help Us Upgrade Tweb! Click here for more info

"If you can ever make any major religion look absolutely ludicrous, chances are you haven't understood it"
    -Ravi Zacharias, The New Age: A foreign bird with a local walk

Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
    1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
    -Ben Witherington III

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    As many others have pointed out, boot up is significantly faster. The "seek" time on smaller SSD's is quite a bit faster than reading massive spinning plates. (SSD's are faster by far even when comparing GB size to GB size) If you leave it on pretty much all the time (as I do) and use it for streaming or gaming, you probably will not see much difference.
    "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Faith
    Non-Theist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Thanks for the input. I usually turn my computer on when I get home and turn it off when I go to bed, so boot up is a factor. It sounds like gaming isn't really effected except for large, open worlds or games with lots of loading. I do play a lot of the former, so it might be worthwhile for a few games to go on a SSD.

Since I already have Windows installed on the HDD, how I would I put it on the SSD? Do I need a disk or something?
    I'm not here anymore.

Child of the One True King Raphael's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Since I already have Windows installed on the HDD, how I would I put it on the SSD? Do I need a disk or something?
    http://www.todo-backup.com/backup-re...-10-to-ssd.htm <-- this has a tutorial on how
    TheologyWeb Needs YOU! - Please Help Us Upgrade Tweb! Click here for more info

"If you can ever make any major religion look absolutely ludicrous, chances are you haven't understood it"
    -Ravi Zacharias, The New Age: A foreign bird with a local walk

Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
    1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
    -Ben Witherington III