Announcement

Collapse

Computer Lab Guidelines

Here in the computer lab, we talk about cool tech, the newest coolest gadgets, and tackle your toughest tech questions.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time. Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

To SSD Or Not SSD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To SSD Or Not SSD

That is the question.

My mobo died, and replacing it means new everything because chipsets changed. I'm in the process of upgrading from my existing system that's ~4yrs old.

I have a 1TB HDD. I think it's still good. I'm wondering if I should keep it primary or turn it into a secondary with a SSD primary.
    I'm not here anymore.

Well, SSD primary with the 1 TB as a storage device is at least the normal configuration. SSD's are still relatively expensive compared to HDD's...So, it all depends on your cost concerns IMO.
    "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

I have a surface pro 4 with an SSD and while it sure boots faster, other than that I don't really notice that much speed difference over my regular laptop with a regular hard drive. Longer battery life is a plus.

Mostly the SSD helps with loading files into RAM, so booting, loading programs, saving data are all faster. If you don't do a lot of file accessing I would just stick with a normal hard drive if you want to save money. And even with the SSD the speed difference is not THAT huge.

Comment

I have a relatively low-tier and small SSD as my primary, and a 1 TB HDD for my secondary, and I think it works great. My only regret is not getting a bigger SSD.
        I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Let's say price isn't really a concern but I'm not looking to spend more than $200 on an SSD. A lot of what I'm doing is gaming or streaming, but I don't know that an SSD impacts that at all. I guess I'm just not sure what the point of an SSD is.
          I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
            Let's say price isn't really a concern but I'm not looking to spend more than $200 on an SSD. A lot of what I'm doing is gaming or streaming, but I don't know that an SSD impacts that at all. I guess I'm just not sure what the point of an SSD is.
            I boot significantly faster with an SSD. That's the biggest difference.
            I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

We just bought a new desktop to use as a server in our small office, 250GB SSD and 2TB HDD. The big thing is having the OS and the swap space on the SSD, that will improve some speeds of the spinning rust.

so yeah, get the SSD as the primary.
              Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
              1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
              -Ben Witherington III

Comment

As many others have pointed out, boot up is significantly faster. The "seek" time on smaller SSD's is quite a bit faster than reading massive spinning plates. (SSD's are faster by far even when comparing GB size to GB size) If you leave it on pretty much all the time (as I do) and use it for streaming or gaming, you probably will not see much difference.
                "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

Thanks for the input. I usually turn my computer on when I get home and turn it off when I go to bed, so boot up is a factor. It sounds like gaming isn't really effected except for large, open worlds or games with lots of loading. I do play a lot of the former, so it might be worthwhile for a few games to go on a SSD.

Since I already have Windows installed on the HDD, how I would I put it on the SSD? Do I need a disk or something?
                  I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Since I already have Windows installed on the HDD, how I would I put it on the SSD? Do I need a disk or something?
                    http://www.todo-backup.com/backup-re...-10-to-ssd.htm <-- this has a tutorial on how
                    Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
                    1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
                    -Ben Witherington III

Comment

Besides the speed benefit, it has no moving parts - no motor to spin up, and no disk heads to bump when you drop or jar your laptop. And I would suspect gaming uses a lot of read/write, which would be faster with SSD.
                      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Thanks for the input. I usually turn my computer on when I get home and turn it off when I go to bed, so boot up is a factor. It sounds like gaming isn't really effected except for large, open worlds or games with lots of loading. I do play a lot of the former, so it might be worthwhile for a few games to go on a SSD.

I've used disk cloning software to do this, and there's some really good free stuff out there.
                        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Mostly it helps with any sort of disk access, and of course it is more reliable since you have no moving parts to worry about. Cow Poke is correct, games typically use a lot of disc access to load in new information about the world and such. If you play a lot of 3D games with complex environments, the levels will load much faster. So if you are now waiting on loading while playing games you will notice a difference. If you don't have that problem you probably don't need an SSD.

Also make sure you have lots of RAM in your new system and a good graphics card. Those are pretty important for gaming, as you probably already know.

Comment

Ok, here's the build I'm considering:

Motherboard

CPU

CPU Fan

RAM

SSD

GPU

PSU

The GPU I already bought. The HDD I'll keep, as mentioned already. The only thing I'm not sure about is the PSU. I have a 550W Rosewill, which is more than enough power. It's the same age as everything else, though, so I'm thinking I should replace it as well. I've heard enough nasty things about PSUs failing to have me worried about it taking out other components. I think the one I linked above is better suited for the new setup anyway.
                            I'm not here anymore.

Comment

why an i5 instead of i7 cpu?

The items that I have replaced most in computers has been power supplies and CPU fans. But hey, if you have a working PSU, why spend money now on a new one? wait till it fails then buy a new one.

and man, those SSDs have really come down in price.

Comment