Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: To SSD Or Not SSD

Dept. of Redundancy Dept. Cow Poke's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Carrikature View Post
    Let's say price isn't really a concern but I'm not looking to spend more than $200 on an SSD. A lot of what I'm doing is gaming or streaming, but I don't know that an SSD impacts that at all. I guess I'm just not sure what the point of an SSD is.
    Besides the speed benefit, it has no moving parts - no motor to spin up, and no disk heads to bump when you drop or jar your laptop. And I would suspect gaming uses a lot of read/write, which would be faster with SSD.

1 Tim 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.

Dept. of Redundancy Dept. Cow Poke's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Thanks for the input. I usually turn my computer on when I get home and turn it off when I go to bed, so boot up is a factor. It sounds like gaming isn't really effected except for large, open worlds or games with lots of loading. I do play a lot of the former, so it might be worthwhile for a few games to go on a SSD.

Since I already have Windows installed on the HDD, how I would I put it on the SSD? Do I need a disk or something?
    I've used disk cloning software to do this, and there's some really good free stuff out there.

1 Tim 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Let's say price isn't really a concern but I'm not looking to spend more than $200 on an SSD. A lot of what I'm doing is gaming or streaming, but I don't know that an SSD impacts that at all. I guess I'm just not sure what the point of an SSD is.
    Mostly it helps with any sort of disk access, and of course it is more reliable since you have no moving parts to worry about. Cow Poke is correct, games typically use a lot of disc access to load in new information about the world and such. If you play a lot of 3D games with complex environments, the levels will load much faster. So if you are now waiting on loading while playing games you will notice a difference. If you don't have that problem you probably don't need an SSD.

Also make sure you have lots of RAM in your new system and a good graphics card. Those are pretty important for gaming, as you probably already know.

Faith
    Non-Theist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Ok, here's the build I'm considering:

Motherboard

CPU

CPU Fan

RAM

SSD

GPU

PSU

The GPU I already bought. The HDD I'll keep, as mentioned already. The only thing I'm not sure about is the PSU. I have a 550W Rosewill, which is more than enough power. It's the same age as everything else, though, so I'm thinking I should replace it as well. I've heard enough nasty things about PSUs failing to have me worried about it taking out other components. I think the one I linked above is better suited for the new setup anyway.
    I'm not here anymore.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    why an i5 instead of i7 cpu?

The items that I have replaced most in computers has been power supplies and CPU fans. But hey, if you have a working PSU, why spend money now on a new one? wait till it fails then buy a new one.

and man, those SSDs have really come down in price.

Faith
    Non-Theist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    why an i5 instead of i7 cpu?
    $100 for not much loss of performance. I'm not running things hard enough to need the extra CPU power, and gaming tends to favor the money spent on GPUs instead anyway.

The items that I have replaced most in computers has been power supplies and CPU fans. But hey, if you have a working PSU, why spend money now on a new one? wait till it fails then buy a new one.
    I'm worried about it failing and taking out other components with it.
    I'm not here anymore.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    $100 for not much loss of performance. I'm not running things hard enough to need the extra CPU power, and gaming tends to favor the money spent on GPUs instead anyway.

I'm worried about it failing and taking out other components with it.
    That usually doesn't happen. The thing usually just stops working and the computer won't turn on. I mean it is possible, but unlikely that it would fry your components.

Theologyweb's Official Grandfather Jedidiah's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    That usually doesn't happen. The thing usually just stops working and the computer won't turn on. I mean it is possible, but unlikely that it would fry your components.
    I had one fail and took out two hard drives. It may be rare but it can happen.
    Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Faith
    Non-Theist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    So the saga continues...

I got my new components in last night, windows boots up, everything's good for about an hour. I downloaded latest GPU drivers, restarted and...nothing.

Sometimes I can get it to load windows. It usually freezes after 15 mins or so. Usually it goes to black screen instead of windows login. Can't usually get into safe mode, but I did once enough to run rkill and malwarebytes to confirm no viruses.

Did a Windows reset (preserving files) this morning. Seemed to be working. I was reinstalling Firefox then back to frozen computer. So...I don't know. New HDD arrives Monday. I'll do a clean install of Windows on it, and see if I can get my files transferred over.
    I'm not here anymore.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    So the saga continues...

I got my new components in last night, windows boots up, everything's good for about an hour. I downloaded latest GPU drivers, restarted and...nothing.

Sometimes I can get it to load windows. It usually freezes after 15 mins or so. Usually it goes to black screen instead of windows login. Can't usually get into safe mode, but I did once enough to run rkill and malwarebytes to confirm no viruses.

Did a Windows reset (preserving files) this morning. Seemed to be working. I was reinstalling Firefox then back to frozen computer. So...I don't know. New HDD arrives Monday. I'll do a clean install of Windows on it, and see if I can get my files transferred over.
    great fun. I am doing that now for my work computer. I have a 5 year old workstation and just got a new one, so I am going through the old one doing everything I can to "prepare"

1. Running the windows easy transfer wizard to gather all of my old accounts and files and storing it on an external drive.
    2. created a virtual machine of my old computer using VMWare converter and player.
    3. Backing up my old drive C: using Acronis True image so I have an actual backup just in case.

When I set up my new one, I will have to reinstall all of the software I had on the old one since I am doing a fresh install and not an upgrade to windows 10. That will be fun. I expect a good week to get everything going the way I want and then from there I will just install software as I need. I will have my old machine as a virtual machine in case I need to run something that I can't or haven't set up on my new machine yet.