Announcement

Collapse

Computer Lab Guidelines

Here in the computer lab, we talk about cool tech, the newest coolest gadgets, and tackle your toughest tech questions.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time. Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

To SSD Or Not SSD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
    New power supply is in. Still not working...

Windows 10 is loaded on the HDD, but I think there's some issue with it. I can get past the mobo bootup portion, but then it goes to a black screen with a blinking cursor. Changing UEFI/Legacy settings don't seem to fix it.

I don't even know.
    Two things --

A) Does the BIOS properly recognize the hard drive's configuration?
    2) Does Windows recognize the boot drive as the "active partition" for boot?
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Check your cables carefully. A loose or broken cable or pin (on the socket) can screw things up or make them flaky.

Comment

Nice! What price range are you looking at?
        Looking at the PC's on the site, it looks like the best I could hope to afford would be the $1,000 to $1,500 range. That's with lot of time saving up. If I could sell one of these old SNES games for the price it goes for at Gamestop I could have an $200 towards my goal.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
          Looking at the PC's on the site, it looks like the best I could hope to afford would be the $1,000 to $1,500 range. That's with lot of time saving up. If I could sell one of these old SNES games for the price it goes for at Gamestop I could have an $200 towards my goal.
          woah. $200 for an SNES game?

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
            woah. $200 for an SNES game?
            Yup. I have two worth that much, or more depending the buyer. However, one I don't want to sell since I can't get a digital copy of it anywhere that I know of.

ETA: If you have boxed or factory sealed it can get up to like $4,000 or so for each game.
            Last edited by Cerebrum123; 11-08-2016, 02:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
              Two things --

A) Does the BIOS properly recognize the hard drive's configuration?
              2) Does Windows recognize the boot drive as the "active partition" for boot?
              I don't know. When I go into BIOS, it sees and lists the hard drive. I removed everything but the hard drive from boot priority lists, but I'm not sure if that gets me to 'active partition' or 'properly recognized'.

Before I replaced the PSU, I made a boot-USB with Windows 10 on it. I installed Windows 10 on the HDD and was able to run it. I even downloaded a bunch of the programs I typically use. I can load windows with my old HDD, but once everything's running it will freeze in 10 mins or so (HDD is on its last leg apparently).

If I have time tonight, I'll mess around a little bit more with the BIOS settings. I might have to make a new boot-USB.
              I'm not here anymore.

Comment

That's a lot of computer. Does that include tower, screen and peripherals?
                I'm not here anymore.

Comment

I don't know. When I go into BIOS, it sees and lists the hard drive. I removed everything but the hard drive from boot priority lists, but I'm not sure if that gets me to 'active partition' or 'properly recognized'.

Before I replaced the PSU, I made a boot-USB with Windows 10 on it. I installed Windows 10 on the HDD and was able to run it. I even downloaded a bunch of the programs I typically use. I can load windows with my old HDD, but once everything's running it will freeze in 10 mins or so (HDD is on its last leg apparently).

If I have time tonight, I'll mess around a little bit more with the BIOS settings. I might have to make a new boot-USB.
                  did you already clone your old drive to your SSD? and if so do you have both drives in the machine? Because if so, that could be the problem because you have two active partitions trying to boot. Remove the old drive for now if that is the case. But still check all the cables.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                    did you already clone your old drive to your SSD? and if so do you have both drives in the machine? Because if so, that could be the problem because you have two active partitions trying to boot. Remove the old drive for now if that is the case. But still check all the cables.
                    I didn't buy an SSD yet, so no. I do have the old HDD still in the tower, but all of the cables are disconnected.
                    I'm not here anymore.

Comment

And by BIOS, we both mean CMOS. But one thing I always recommend before upgrading peripherals is to check that the BIOS is the most current version, and update if necessary. In the old days, that required a DOS boot, but Dell, in particular, will allow you to download the latest BIOS version and automatically reboot, updating the BIOS in the process. Sometimes BIOS updates are written to accommodate newer hardware that didn't exist and/or wasn't anticipated when the original BIOS was flashed.
                      Last edited by Cow Poke; 11-08-2016, 04:43 PM.
                      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I didn't buy an SSD yet, so no. I do have the old HDD still in the tower, but all of the cables are disconnected.
                        yeah it sounds like the hard drive might be going bad then, unless the cables are going bad. sounds like the drive might be overheating though.

Comment

That's a lot of computer. Does that include tower, screen and peripherals?
                          It includes the tower, and can come with free peripherals like keyboards and gaming mousepads etc. I use an HDTV as a screen though, so I don't need one. At least I shouldn't for a while.

I want something like this, but with 16 GB, of RAM, and a GTX 1070 instead of the 1060. Not sure if the PSU would need to be much more powerful or not.

I want to kind of "future proof" my PC for as long as I can. I also want to make it a decent upgrade to what I've got. Right now I have an Intel i7 920, a GTX 660 ti, 9 GB of Ram, and a bit under 1 TB in HD space. It's a Dell motherboard. Studio XPS MT or something like that. I've had a few issues with temperature on my GPU lately, so I want to make sure the PC I get stays in a good temp range. I've mostly fixed that, but I think a lot of it has to do with my case, and the fans it has.

Comment

Ok, so fun fact time.

#1: The HDD needed to be formatted for GPT not MBR.
                            #2: I have to set the GPU and HDD to UEFI only in the CMOS.
                            #3: The Radeon GPU required a big song and dance to the tune of deleting all drivers in safe mode (using a special program), installing latest drivers in normal mode (only for it to freeze at 50%) then a restart. Also helps to make sure it's seated properly...

So yeah. One operational system, at my service. Now I get to figure out how to transfer my old files from my dying HDD (it locks up after 15 mins or so) onto the new one. I also get to figure out how to pull my old Windows product key over so that I don't have to pay for it.
                            I'm not here anymore.

Comment

. I also get to figure out how to pull my old Windows product key over so that I don't have to pay for it.
                              Magic Jellybean is your friend!

https://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/
                              That's what
                              - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                              - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                              - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

It includes the tower, and can come with free peripherals like keyboards and gaming mousepads etc. I use an HDTV as a screen though, so I don't need one. At least I shouldn't for a while.

I want something like this, but with 16 GB, of RAM, and a GTX 1070 instead of the 1060. Not sure if the PSU would need to be much more powerful or not.

I want to kind of "future proof" my PC for as long as I can. I also want to make it a decent upgrade to what I've got. Right now I have an Intel i7 920, a GTX 660 ti, 9 GB of Ram, and a bit under 1 TB in HD space. It's a Dell motherboard. Studio XPS MT or something like that. I've had a few issues with temperature on my GPU lately, so I want to make sure the PC I get stays in a good temp range. I've mostly fixed that, but I think a lot of it has to do with my case, and the fans it has.
                                Very nice! I like that case, too.
                                I'm not here anymore.

Comment