Announcement

Collapse

Computer Lab Guidelines

Here in the computer lab, we talk about cool tech, the newest coolest gadgets, and tackle your toughest tech questions.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time. Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

To SSD Or Not SSD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
    Magic Jellybean is your friend!

https://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/
    Thanks. I'll check it out.
    I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
      Ok, so fun fact time.

#1: The HDD needed to be formatted for GPT not MBR.
      #2: I have to set the GPU and HDD to UEFI only in the CMOS.
      #3: The Radeon GPU required a big song and dance to the tune of deleting all drivers in safe mode (using a special program), installing latest drivers in normal mode (only for it to freeze at 50%) then a restart. Also helps to make sure it's seated properly...

So yeah. One operational system, at my service. Now I get to figure out how to transfer my old files from my dying HDD (it locks up after 15 mins or so) onto the new one. I also get to figure out how to pull my old Windows product key over so that I don't have to pay for it.
      Why did it have to be GPT? Windows 10 can handle either.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        MBR will only see 2 TB.
        That's what
        - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
        - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
        - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

MBR will only see 2 TB.
          yeah but he said he was using his old drive, so presumably it was working before under windows 7, right? so it should have worked on windows 10. It could not be over 2TB.

Comment

yeah but he said he was using his old drive, so presumably it was working before under windows 7, right? so it should have worked on windows 10. It could not be over 2TB.
            Yeah. Should work with either. UEFI booting likes the GPT format though. But Win 10 supports legacy BIOS booting too.
            That's what
            - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
            - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Yeah. Should work with either. UEFI booting likes the GPT format though. But Win 10 supports legacy BIOS booting too.
              Yeah. It must be his snowflake BIOS protesting the MBR! Doesn't want to go along with the agreed upon jumper settings and wants a Safe place.

Comment

Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
                Very nice! I like that case, too.
                Unfortunately it will probably be over a year before I can upgrade. I just got set back $110 due to dropping my headset.

On the plus side, the new one is sturdier, and so far more reliable with it's wireless signal.

Comment

Yeah. It must be his snowflake BIOS protesting the MBR! Doesn't want to go along with the agreed upon jumper settings and wants a Safe place.
                  That's what
                  - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

Yeah that. It wasn't being recognized as a bootable drive or something.

I think you're twisted up on which HDD I'm using, though. The new one is what I had to format as GPT. The old one gets recognized without a problem, but it locks up after 15 mins.
                      I'm not here anymore.

Comment

That's what I don't get. The boot options are set to Legacy Only by default. I can disable it and let it look for both, but that wasn't working either. I had to set it to UEFI only.
                        I'm not here anymore.

Comment