Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Asher's Bakery Case Update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by EvoUK View Post
    On Ashers’ stance regarding the cake, Morgan said: “The supplier may provide the particular service to all or to none but not to a selection of customers based on prohibited grounds. In the present case the appellants might elect not to provide a service that involves any religious or political message. What they may not do is provide a service that only reflects their own political or religious message in relation to sexual orientation.”

So yeah, a big hooha over not much really.
    That solution is too easy. There's no room for drama then.
    I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
      That solution is too easy. There's no room for drama then.
      The solution to what? Its not quite clear for me what you're thinking about here.

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
        The solution to what? Its not quite clear for me what you're thinking about here.
        "In the present case the appellants might elect not to provide a service that involves any religious or political message. What they may not do is provide a service that only reflects their own political or religious message in relation to sexual orientation.”

Do it for everyone or don't do it all. Seems like a simple concept that too few can grasp.
        I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
          "In the present case the appellants might elect not to provide a service that involves any religious or political message. What they may not do is provide a service that only reflects their own political or religious message in relation to sexual orientation.”

Do it for everyone or don't do it all. Seems like a simple concept that too few can grasp.
          So that would also apply to all those gay bakers that refused to do the cake for the Christian who wanted one to celebrate traditional marriage? Yes?

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
            That's what one baker offered in the video that Sparky posted.

But, you know, if I am paying for a cake, I pretty much want a finished cake, so I would not be happy with that solution. Regardless of my sexual orientation. Maybe some people would, though.

However, it looks like there are a lot of bakeries in the world that would make a cake for gay ceremonies, so why are they not being used by those of the same mindset?
            Sure! And there were plenty of seats at the back of the bus where Rosa Parks could have sat, so why didn't she sit there?
            “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
              "Bake me a cake with Leviticus 18:2 on it"
              "Print 100 t-shirts with Leviticus 18:2 on the front"
              "Design a logo with Leviticus 18:2"

According to you the no gay person could have a legal objection to the first one, or the second one. Only the third one in as much as no artist can be forced to sell a specific design on a commission basis.

Furthermore the American law here is broken.
              It's very simple really. In the service industry it's against the law to discriminate against those of whom you disapprove whatever the reason.
              “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

Originally posted by ukchristian28 View Post
                Seer, what do you make of the point that one's personal beliefs should play no part in business? It's business, it is said. A homosexual's money is the same as everyone elses' and that's all that should concern a Christian businessman. If making money is not their only concern, they should not be in business. A valid point?
                The first problem with that is the view that 'one's personal beliefs should play no part in business' is itself is a personal belief.
                The second problem is that most progressives seem quite keen to impose their view on Christians, but far less keen to try to impose it on Muslims.

Not to mention progressive attitudes towards international relations between their country / presidential candidate and Muslim countries where homosexuality is illegal (at best).... Something about straining a gnat but swallowing a camel comes to mind.
                ...>>> Witty remark or snarky quote of another poster goes here <<<...

Comment

Originally posted by MaxVel View Post
                  The first problem with that is the view that 'one's personal beliefs should play no part in business' is itself is a personal belief.
                  No, it’s the law as per The Civil Rights Act of 1964 and it outlaws discrimination based on race, color, religion, sex, or national origin.

The second problem is that most progressives seem quite keen to impose their view on Christians, but far less keen to try to impose it on Muslims.
                  The Civil rights Act applies to all citizens...including Muslims and Christians, so drop your “poor lil me” Christian persecution narrative.

Not to mention progressive attitudes towards international relations between their country / presidential candidate and Muslim countries where homosexuality is illegal (at best).... Something about straining a gnat but swallowing a camel comes to mind.
                  Irrelevant!

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                    Spoken like a good brown shirt, we can not operate unless we follow your totalitarian rules.
                    You think the Nazis would legislate against anti-homosexual discrimination???

Ye gods. You are completely bonkers.
                    Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
                    MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                      That is exactly what happened to "Sweet Cakes by Melissa." They were targeted by a gay couple who knew of their Christian beliefs, ...
                      That should be "who knew of their bigotry"
                      Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                        I'm not seer, but I disagree with you. We don't leave our Christianity at the door when we leave our home. Our faith is part of who we are. Business should be conducted according to the principles stated in God's word just as much as in our private lives.
                        I'm not seer either (thankfully!) and I also disagree - going into business does not mean sacrificing all your ethics in exchange for lucre.

Roy

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
                          They did, didn't they? Not that I'm disagreeing that seer is a bonkers deplorable (and seemingly proud of it).

Comment

Originally posted by EvoUK View Post
                            They did, didn't they?
                            No, they legislated in favour of anti-homosexual discrimination, by forcing homosexuals to wear pink triangles and live in concentration camps.

Comment

Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                              Sure! And there were plenty of seats at the back of the bus where Rosa Parks could have sat, so why didn't she sit there?

You are just so precious. Stupid, but precious.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
                                No idiot, it is the same totalitarian mind set. We must conform. Which is especially egregious in these cases where no harm was done and the services were freely available, often on the same block, and certainly in the same city. And this mindset is completely antithetical to the founding principles of this nation.
                                Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment