Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 210

Thread: Asher's Bakery Case Update

  1. #21
    tWebber Leonhard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Denmark - Jutland
    Faith
    Catholic
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    5,137
    Amen (Given)
    917
    Amen (Received)
    2748
    Quote Originally Posted by Roy View Post
    Perhaps. He could also outsource it to another baker.
    That's the policy in Denmark for doctors who are against abortion. In case where they get a patient who doesn't want it, they're legally required to refer them to someone else if the patient asks for it. The doctor is not forced to recommend it.

  2. #22
    tWebber Leonhard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Denmark - Jutland
    Faith
    Catholic
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    5,137
    Amen (Given)
    917
    Amen (Received)
    2748
    Quote Originally Posted by Tassman View Post
    Itís really very simple. Oneís personal beliefs have no place in business...provided one is not being asked to provide or do something unlawful.
    "Bake me a cake with Leviticus 18:2 on it"
    "Print 100 t-shirts with Leviticus 18:2 on the front"
    "Design a logo with Leviticus 18:2"

    According to you the no gay person could have a legal objection to the first one, or the second one. Only the third one in as much as no artist can be forced to sell a specific design on a commission basis.

    Furthermore the American law here is broken.

  3. #23
    tWebber Leonhard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Denmark - Jutland
    Faith
    Catholic
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    5,137
    Amen (Given)
    917
    Amen (Received)
    2748
    Quote Originally Posted by mossrose View Post
    However, it looks like there are a lot of bakeries in the world that would make a cake for gay ceremonies, so why are they not being used by those of the same mindset?
    There have been some concerns about gays systematically looking for Christians bakers and getting to bake gay wedding cakes with decorations and all. Once they're outed, they're sued for hundred of thousands of dollars (for emotional damages... and if I remember the infamous suit we talked about on tweb, also weight gain... I kid you not). Thankfully it doesn't happen that often.

    Its still awful that they can abuse the privilege the law has given them.

  4. Amen mossrose, Cerebrum123 amen'd this post.
  5. #24
    tWebber seer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    New England
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    23,416
    Amen (Given)
    1520
    Amen (Received)
    4673
    Quote Originally Posted by Roy View Post
    Misrepresentation. No-one is forcing the guy to be a baker.
    Spoken like a good brown shirt, we can not operate unless we follow your totalitarian rules.
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

  6. #25
    tWebber seer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    New England
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    23,416
    Amen (Given)
    1520
    Amen (Received)
    4673
    Quote Originally Posted by Leonhard View Post
    There have been some concerns about gays systematically looking for Christians bakers and getting to bake gay wedding cakes with decorations and all. Once they're outed, they're sued for hundred of thousands of dollars (for emotional damages... and if I remember the infamous suit we talked about on tweb, also weight gain... I kid you not). Thankfully it doesn't happen that often.

    Its still awful that they can abuse the privilege the law has given them.
    That is exactly what happened to "Sweet Cakes by Melissa." They were targeted by a gay couple who knew of their Christian beliefs, even though there were many other bakeries in town. And Melissa even recommended another bakery. The Kleins were fined $135,000 and face bankruptcy, though they are appealing.
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

  7. #26
    Evolution is God's ID rogue06's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Southeastern U.S. of A.
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    48,624
    Amen (Given)
    1034
    Amen (Received)
    17586
    Quote Originally Posted by Roy View Post
    Perhaps. He could also outsource it to another baker.
    Why would you want to use a bakery that obviously doesn't want your business in the first place? The baker could accidentally add too much of an ingredient so that the cake wasn't very good, or pull a Jesse Jackson[1]. Personally, I'd think most people would want everything to go as perfectly as possible on that special day and wouldn't take such a chance. That is of course unless going perfectly for them is defined as deliberately rubbing it into the noses of anyone they think might not approve.

    Out of curiosity I made a quick check and found several Halal bakeries in my area who also make wedding cakes. Funny that they aren't forcing the people who belong to a religion that still executes gays in many places to make their wedding cake. It is almost like they are afraid that the cake might blow up or something.












    1. For those overseas, Jackson is a famous Civil Rights leader and one time presidential candidate who recounted that while younger and working as a waiter he would habitually spit in white customers food before serving it.

    I'm always still in trouble again

    "You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" -- starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)

  8. #27
    tWebber
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Reading
    Faith
    Baptist
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    234
    Amen (Given)
    99
    Amen (Received)
    68
    Seer, what do you make of the point that one's personal beliefs should play no part in business? It's business, it is said. A homosexual's money is the same as everyone elses' and that's all that should concern a Christian businessman. If making money is not their only concern, they should not be in business. A valid point?

  9. #28
    Oops....... mossrose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    slave & child of Christ
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    19,781
    Amen (Given)
    14996
    Amen (Received)
    8833
    Quote Originally Posted by ukchristian28 View Post
    Seer, what do you make of the point that one's personal beliefs should play no part in business? It's business, it is said. A homosexual's money is the same as everyone elses' and that's all that should concern a Christian businessman. If making money is not their only concern, they should not be in business. A valid point?
    I'm not seer, but I disagree with you. We don't leave our Christianity at the door when we leave our home. Our faith is part of who we are. Business should be conducted according to the principles stated in God's word just as much as in our private lives.

    I am sure I don't have to quote the end of Romans 1 here. It is clear from the last verse of that chapter that believers are not to give approval to those who disobey God's law by doing anything that would suggest agreeing with them in any way. So taking the money of a homosexual or a prostitute as payment for a service that would celebrate that lifestyle is going against God's word.

    What should concern a Christian businessperson is that their business reflects integrity and truth and compliance with God's word. That is all that matters.


    Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

  10. #29
    See, the Thing is... Cow Poke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The Republic of Texas
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    50,809
    Amen (Given)
    10931
    Amen (Received)
    23630
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue06 View Post
    Why would you want to use a bakery that obviously doesn't want your business in the first place? The baker could accidentally add too much of an ingredient so that the cake wasn't very good, or pull a Jesse Jackson[1]. Personally, I'd think most people would want everything to go as perfectly as possible on that special day and wouldn't take such a chance. That is of course unless going perfectly for them is defined as deliberately rubbing it into the noses of anyone they think might not approve.

    Out of curiosity I made a quick check and found several Halal bakeries in my area who also make wedding cakes. Funny that they aren't forcing the people who belong to a religion that still executes gays in many places to make their wedding cake. It is almost like they are afraid that the cake might blow up or something.












    1. For those overseas, Jackson is a famous Civil Rights leader and one time presidential candidate who recounted that while younger and working as a waiter he would habitually spit in white customers food before serving it.
    Yeah, that.
    --- this space intentionally left blank ---

  11. #30
    tWebber seer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    New England
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    23,416
    Amen (Given)
    1520
    Amen (Received)
    4673
    Quote Originally Posted by ukchristian28 View Post
    Seer, what do you make of the point that one's personal beliefs should play no part in business? It's business, it is said. A homosexual's money is the same as everyone elses' and that's all that should concern a Christian businessman. If making money is not their only concern, they should not be in business. A valid point?
    You can not be something you are not. You don't give up your beliefs in the market place. And no, it is not a valid point. Being in business does not mean you have to sell your soul.
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

  12. Amen mossrose, RumTumTugger, DesertBerean amen'd this post.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •