Announcement

Collapse

Ecclesiology 201 Guidelines

Discussion on matters of general mainstream Christian churches. What are the differences between Catholics and protestants? How has the charismatic movement affected the church? Are Southern baptists different from fundamentalist baptists? It is also for discussions about the nature of the church.

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and theists. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions. Additionally, there may be some topics that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine that may be more appropriately placed within Comparative Religions 101.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

The End of Protestantism...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Let me ask this question in all seriousness: Is the kind of unity the author is pursuing even Scriptural?
    Actually YOU put Trump in the White House. He wouldn't have gotten 1% of the vote if it wasn't for the widespread spiritual and cultural devastation caused by progressive policies. There's no "this country" left with your immigration policies, your "allies" are worthless and even more suicidal than you are and democracy is a sick joke that I hope nobody ever thinks about repeating when the current order collapses. - Darth_Executor striking a conciliatory note in Civics 101

Comment

Originally posted by Meh Gerbil View Post
      Let me ask this question in all seriousness: Is the kind of unity the author is pursuing even Scriptural?
      That would rather depend on what you mean by "Scriptural" - which is, indeed, part of the problem. It can mean anything from "explicitly enjoined in Scripture" to "not incompatible with Scripture."
      Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
      sigpic
      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
        That would rather depend on what you mean by "Scriptural" - which is, indeed, part of the problem. It can mean anything from "explicitly enjoined in Scripture" to "not incompatible with Scripture."
        Right.

I'd agree that the veneration of icons isn't forbidden in Scripture (1) and so I must accept that as a part of your worship or tradition.
        In the same vein I would hope that you'd understand that to me an icon is nothing more than kindling.

Our unity isn't in the form of worship but the object of our worship.

So I get hives when someone tries to change the form of my worship, in the name of unity, just as you'd develop a rash if I was made curator of a large collection of icons.
        I think we can share a very high degree of unity while having different denominational affiliations.

I don't think having the same liturgy is a scriptural pursuit.

NOTES
        -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        1: You know I have my doubts about it actually being veneration but I'll take your word on it for the sake of this discussion.
        Actually YOU put Trump in the White House. He wouldn't have gotten 1% of the vote if it wasn't for the widespread spiritual and cultural devastation caused by progressive policies. There's no "this country" left with your immigration policies, your "allies" are worthless and even more suicidal than you are and democracy is a sick joke that I hope nobody ever thinks about repeating when the current order collapses. - Darth_Executor striking a conciliatory note in Civics 101

Comment

I think we can agree that all Presbyterians are going straight to the hot place.

Comment

I'm sorry if I killed the thread.
            If anyone needs me I'll be in the corner thinking about what I've done here.

Comment

I'm sorry if I killed the thread.
              If anyone needs me I'll be in the corner thinking about what I've done here.
              I'll be padlocking your little exercise wheel while you sit and think what you've done young man, er gerbil.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I think we can agree that all Presbyterians are going straight to the hot place.
                Which is why so many of them smoke! They're getting used to the smell.

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I think I'm gonna have to cancel one of my subscriptions, I seem to be getting the exact same content from you both here and on FB. I guess even you aren't immune to the age of clickbait and recycled content.
                  "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                    I think I'm gonna have to cancel one of my subscriptions, I seem to be getting the exact same content from you both here and on FB. I guess even you aren't immune to the age of clickbait and recycled content.
                    Maybe you're like Grateful Dead fans - following the band from venue to venue.

Comment

Maybe you're like Grateful Dead fans - following the band from venue to venue.
                      I saw a Grateful Dead concert many years ago. I even remember bits and pieces of it.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                        I saw a Grateful Dead concert many years ago. I even remember bits and pieces of it.
                        If you can remember the 60's, you didn't really experience them. Hence, the bits and pieces?
                        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by JB DoulosChristou View Post
                          Hi, everybody! ...

... (Naturally, our Roman Catholic and Orthodox friends will look somewhat askance at some of Leithart's proposals vis-a-vis their groups, for fairly traditional reasons. I'd like, if possible, for this discussion not to lapse into a rehash of that.) For those who don't have the book, Leithart has already sketched some of these ideas in some freely available articles:

Is Leithart thinking rightly about the current state of the church?
                          Is his vision for a future Reformational Catholic Church a good and healthy one?
                          Is it a feasible hope?
                          Leithart's work is explicitly addressed to "theologically conservative evangelical Protestant churches"; he suspects that Roman Catholics may be less ready to really receive what he has to say. ...
                          I don't want to derail an interesting thread by focusing too much on a parenthetical comment. That said, I don't think most Roman Catholics would have any objections to Reformational Catholicism as described in the two linked articles in the initial post. I think most would welcome Leithart's focus on greater respect for tradition and shared elements of the faith in common with Eastern Orthodoxy and Catholicism. Is there something additional in Leithart's book, not included in the two linked articles, that you or he thinks would be particularly objectionable to Catholics?

From one of the linked articles by Leithart:
                          "While he’s at it, the Reformational catholic might as well claim the upper-case “C.” Why should the Roman see have a monopoly on capitalization?"

From an ecclesiological perspective, I am more liberal than most Catholics, perhaps (in other areas I am more conservative than many liberal Catholic theologoans), so I would encourage Reformational Catholics to consider not using an upper-case 'C' just as I encourage Roman Catholics to be much more appreciative of lower-case catholicism. True Christian community and action exists much more fundamentally at the local level. Universality of faith, practice, and communion cannot be imposed upon various local communions, and it would be pointless to even consider such an imposition of universal authority if there were not already an existing local Christian community.
                          Last edited by robrecht; 10-29-2016, 08:05 AM.
                          βλέπομεν γὰρ ἄρτι δι᾿ ἐσόπτρου ἐν αἰνίγματι, τότε δὲ πρόσωπον πρὸς πρόσωπον·
                          ἄρτι γινώσκω ἐκ μέρους, τότε δὲ ἐπιγνώσομαι καθὼς καὶ ἐπεγνώσθην.

אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

I don't think this idea has a meaningful future, nor should it.

Since being born again in early 1980, I have been a member or frequent visitor at dozens of churches that would fit the common understanding of "theologically conservative Protestant evangelical."

None have made a point of teaching any Creeds or Confessions.

None have a formal "liturgy." Many have a routine "way of doing things," and would probably be a bit discomfited to think this could amount to a sort of de facto "liturgy."

Most of them tend to regard "tradition" with some sense of suspicion and disdain. Many have problems with the word, "religion," as indicated by such sayings as "Christianity is not about religion, it's about relationship."

All place a high emphasis on being "born again" as an event involving conscious volition and firmly reject the idea that babies can be baptized into the Kingdom.

All practice "open Communion," in the sense that participation is not limited to members of a specific church or denomination. Any "born again" believer is welcome to partake, and no one is required to make any sort of public declaration to that effect before partaking.

I can't imagine any of them yielding on any of those points even a little bit -- nor should they.
                            Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

That is agreeable to me and something I've seen in out in the wild - rare, but it does exist.
                              That said, I have to wonder what distinguishes a 'Reformational Catholic' from a 'Protestant'.
                              They sound like the same animal who has thrown off different sorts of evil to arrive at the same spot.
                              ## And it is quite usual for Protestants to say they are Catholic - what they disclaim is being Papally Catholic. It is not rare for people to say they are "Reformed and catholic", or "catholic and Reformed".

STM that Protestantism can survive the death of Protestantism in the West, perhaps not comfortably indeed, but easily enough. If Protestantism vanished utterly from the West, that would not in the slightest mean that Protestantism was no more. The death of Protestantism has been predicted before - why should current predictions be any more reliable than those that preceded them ?

Comment

Hi, everybody! I recently started reading Peter J. Leithart's new book The End of Protestantism: Pursuing Unity in a Fragmented Church. In it, he offers reflections on the need for the assorted Protestant confessions to be subsumed in a new "Reformational Catholicity," which is the church's future. I'd like to start a discussion here of the thoughts that Leithart is putting forward. (Naturally, our Roman Catholic and Orthodox friends will look somewhat askance at some of Leithart's proposals vis-a-vis their groups, for fairly traditional reasons. I'd like, if possible, for this discussion not to lapse into a rehash of that.) For those who don't have the book, Leithart has already sketched some of these ideas in some freely available articles:

Is Leithart thinking rightly about the current state of the church?
                                Is his vision for a future Reformational Catholic Church a good and healthy one?
                                Is it a feasible hope?
                                Protestantism will survive, even if the vast majority of Protestants cease to be Protestant. People have been consigning it to the grave for at least 200 years. But it always manages to survive. Even if the US and Europe come to be plunged into darkest night, Protestantism can thrive elsewhere. If I were a Protestant, I would have no fears whatever for its survival. God is Faithful, even if Protestants lack faith in Him. As for feasible hopes, God is not restricted by those - the Cross shows that. The 'defeat' of the Cross was how God brought about victory over sin, death, hell and the devil.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X