Announcement

Collapse

Comparative Religions 101 Guidelines

Welcome to Comp Religions, this is where the sights and sounds of the many world religions come together in a big World's Fair type atmosphere, without those delicious funnel cakes.

World Religions is a theist only type place, but that does not exclude certain religionists who practice non-theistic faiths ala Buddhism. If you are not sure, ask a moderator.

This is not a place where we argue the existence / non-existence of God.

And as usual, the forum rules apply.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Re-incarnation in Thervada vs other Buddhism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re-incarnation in Thervada vs other Buddhism

Is anyone here familiar with this? It seems slightly different in the expression/explanations that I've read on different types of Buddhism?
    I am become death...

I am a Muslim so I am not familiar with the nuances of Buddhism...but I think there may be variations even within Theravada on this subject?...Of the 3 broad categories, Mahayana, Therevada and Tibetan, It seems to me, Tibetan Buddhism has applied(?) ---as opposed to theory---about re-incarnation/incarnation---what with the Dalai Lama being a reincarnation......
    ...so...what explanations have you heard?

Comment

I read that Thervada has less emphasis on reincarnation and that they have some concept of heaven and hell, though those are temporary.
      I am become death...

Comment

Originally posted by Ana Dragule View Post
        I read that Thervada has less emphasis on reincarnation and that they have some concept of heaven and hell, though those are temporary.
        I could be wrong---but my impression is that there are different nuances to the idea of an-atman (no-self) which then effects concepts of rebirth? The goal of human beings is to get away from the cycle of rebirth by achieving nirvana---this is common in all schools of Buddhism, but it seems in Mahayana, rebirth is achievable by everyone, in Theravada it is split---some say it is achievable only by monks...?....I think this means that for the average person (laity) one has to "make merit" to climb the ladder of rebirth....?....Tibetan school/Dharma seems to have a stronger flavor of Hinduism---with the soul/consciousness (atman) itself incarnating/reborn....

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
        Working...
        X