Thread: A question I have

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

A question I have

I was reading my devotional bible and in luke Jesus speaks of selling your cloak and buying a sword. He also said however that one who lives by the sword dies by the sword.

In that case how are we to view things like self defense or serving in a war as christians?

I know Jesus congratulated the soldier ( A centurion one of the most well trained soldiers in antiquity) and Paul uses boxers and soldiers in his metaphors on faith.

I would like to know your thoughts.
    Personally I see no problem in self defense ormilitary service.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I'm still working out exactly what I think about this but one possible way to interpret Jesus's statement is that he's describing how things are (like in Proverbs) and not actually saying never to use swords.

I lean toward pacifism because the early church was almost entirely pacifist.
    I want something good to die for to make it beautiful to live.

3. Amen TheWall amen'd this post.
    tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Makes sense.

I am aa man who struggles with my temper at times. As a result I work and pray against hotheadedness. It has never helped me being hotheaded.

I think both pacifism and patriotism are interesting. However I would never want my faith to degrade to bbe just a tool for an ideology.

Thank you KG.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I see "living by the sword" as very different from self defense. The former would be like Islam's raiding of caravan's during and eventually conquering of Arabia in Mohammed's time.
    Safka, you are NOT "unknown", you were loved by many, and you will not be forgotten. I will always remember you Puginator.

6. Amen TheWall, Rushing Jaws amen'd this post.
    Faith
    circular balloonist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    The New Testament doesn't instruct us to live by the Law (one size fits all rules) but rather by the Spirit.

This means that if a criminal breaks into your home and threatens you with death that the Spirit may instruct you to lay down your life OR the Spirit may instruct you to kick his [censored]. If you find yourself in that situation you don't want to be asking yourself a bunch of philosophical/theological hooey questions. What you'll need to be doing is asking the Spirit, "Lead me through this in the here and now."
    Actually YOU put Trump in the White House. He wouldn't have gotten 1% of the vote if it wasn't for the widespread spiritual and cultural devastation caused by progressive policies. There's no "this country" left with your immigration policies, your "allies" are worthless and even more suicidal than you are and democracy is a sick joke that I hope nobody ever thinks about repeating when the current order collapses. - Darth_Executor striking a conciliatory note in Civics 101

8. Amen Rushing Jaws amen'd this post.
    Dept. of Redundancy Dept. Cow Poke's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Paul's main emphasis on soldiers was their discipline, courage, commitment... more than a few times they rescued or protected him... but he, especially to Timothy, was using the qualities I mentioned to tell Timothy "be like that".

1 Tim 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.

10. Amen mossrose, TheWall, KingsGambit, RumTumTugger amen'd this post.